All students should be required to volunteer in there community

I believe that students should be required 4 hours of community service just to give back to the community. Giving them that "I did that " feeling, This makes them feel more confident in them selves and makes there parents and the community proud and thankful.

I accept your challenge and will be debating for the stance that students should not be required four hours of community service to give back to the community. Pro, please make your initial arguments.

It gives you a chance to give back to your community so you can support you r community and send your hand of helping and caring. It also brings your community together, uniting different people together to make a difference.

As I had stated in my first round, I have taken the stance that students should not be required four hours of community service to give back to the community. Expanding this stance, I believe that students should not be required four hours of community servers daily. Since the Pro did not adequately describe what "four hours" means, I hereby declare that it is four hours daily community service, and will be arguing against that.

To begin this debate, I would like to refute my opponent's one and only, rather weak argument. Since I am Con, I will be doing a full refutation case this debate, however they will be argumentally structured refutations, sort of a two-in-one type thing.

Refutation 1:
My esteemed colleague has stated that community service "gives you a chance to give back to your community", :you can support your community", and that "it brings the community together". But voters, I believe that this dog won't hunt. Here are the reasons that it is injured:
1. This argument has no reasoning, evidence, or impact. In order for a strong argument, these three things are crucial. What this entire argument is comprised of is just a long assertion with no supporting details, so how can this be trusted?
2. Secondly, I do not necessarily disagree with this, but I would like to see the evidence here. One main reason why I object to any argument my opponent will bring up, is why are we mandating children to spend 4 hours of community service daily? So what, even it gives back to the community, we're wasting these children's time. They could be doing more valuable things like homework, studying, eating and drinking (to live), playing games, having fun, laughing, exercising, etc.
Therefore, I believe that you should not trust my opponent's weak argument with missing reasoning, evidence, and impact, and go with a better plan"not to have children slaving over "giving back to the community" for four daily hours, while instead much better things could happen.

Now judges (voters), let's take a look at the basic topic. "All students should be required to volunteer in there [I'm assuming my opponent meant 'their'] community." So, what my opponent is saying is that everybody, and literally everybody in school, from preschool to graduate school, should have to do four hours daily of community service. But there are problems with this, some I have already pointed out. But, here are three more:
1. Preschoolers can't do community service. And even if we forced them to, what kind of wicked person would force preschoolers to perform grueling labor for four hours daily? My opponent does. This is an unrealistic notion, and my opponent's plan should not be followed through with.
2. Disabled students can't do community service. If you have a disabled person, how are they going to do four hours daily community service? Sit in their wheelchair, pick up trash on the highway, and get run over? So apparently, my opponent wishes grueling labor four hours a day on disabled people who can barely even do this.
3. A student is "a person formally engaged in learning", according to There are many people engaged in learning, including elderly people taking MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses). Elderly people and disable people are all on the same boat. How are they going to do four long hours of community service daily? And what evil person would force them to do that? My opponent. Also, many MOOC takers are from other countries, so how will we make sure that all students from around the world, even students off the grid living on farms with a computer for the whole family, get to a city and do an unrealistic four hours of community service... daily.

There are obviously tons of flaws in my opponent's plan, and if we put this plan into place, preschoolers would be forced into labor, disabled people would be forced into labor, elderly people would be forced into labor, and money would be flushed down the toilet on making sure that literally every student in the entire world is doing unrealistically long hours of community service. So voters, as I bring this to a close, I would like to mention one final thing. Vote Con.

jeterbomb2704 forfeited this round.

I am disappointed for the forfeit.

I will not build upon my arguments in this round; I have better things to do.

Voters: Vote Con
Posted by Dilara 2 years ago
You should want to volunteer. That's what makes it volunteering. If your forced to it's not really volunteering it's like a chore and no one likes those.