Foliya
Capitalistslave

All students should have an after school job.

Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

Foliya

Con

Hello! This is my opinion: after school job really hampers the studying of a student. I think that school students shouldn't work at all unless certain circumstances --hard finacial situation in a family,for example -- make them work.
Capitalistslave

Pro

Since you didn't provide a strong argument, and only stated what you believe, I'll do the same to keep it fair, however, please offer sources and evidence in your next argument so that I can do the same. I am going to argue that working a part-time job at or under 20 hours a week is actually beneficial to students because it forces students to use their time wisely, and gets them into a schedule. In addition, I believe the sooner that they begin working, the better off they'll be as it will open gateways to other forms of employment.
Foliya

Con

The arguments why students shouldn't have a job after school:
1) Job reduces their productivity in studying. For example, when students works, it always requires some physical or mental effort, so a lot of energy is lost at job; consequently, children come home tired and don't have any desire and vigor to do homework or prepare for the exams. Education, in return, has a great impact over the future of children. if they study well, they will be able to get enrolled in a good college, and then get high-paid job. in this case, it's better to study very good now and get a full-time job with good salary in future rather than study bad due to part-time and low-paid job and lose an opportunity to have a good, stable income in the adulthood.
2) Work is time consuming. Students spend their precious time at job instead of improving their grades, enhancing relationships with family or friends. It can lead to the deterioration of connection between these students and their relatives, peers due to the lack of communication. For instance, imagine the side of a working student's parents: their kid is absent half of the day because of school, and, plus to this, 2- 3 hours at job. As a result, parents don't see their child for most of the day and don't have an opportunity to speak with him properly(because child come tired after job and isn't eager to talk very much), to ask him about his life at school, marks, friends. The similar situation with friends: while job-free students go out and communicate with each other, improving their social skills( which are, by the way, very necessary for being competitive the future), a working child loses his bounds with his friends, gradually drifting apart from them.
Capitalistslave

Pro

Note: any words in caps is supposed to mean more emphasis on the word, not that I'm shouting.

I'll address both of the arguments my opponent made with the following. One could say that the best measurement of whether work effects productivity for school is a look at the students' GPA. While it seems logical to conclude that since a job detracts time from a student, that it would results in a drop in GPA. However, "Most studies conclude that this is only the case when the student"s number of hours worked per week exceeds 20 hours. "[1] In fact, students who work 1-15 hours a week actually had HIGHER GPA's on average than students who did not work and those who worked more than 20 hours [1] [2]

While it's true that "64 percent [of student workers] reported that employment also increased their level of stress", it was also found that "74 percent of student "workers believed that employment forced them to become more efficient. "[1] Ehrenberg and Sherman, from the National Bureau of Economic Research, did "not find any strong evidence...that hours of work during the academic year in the range that students worked significantly reduced grade point averages." [3]
Therefore, it can be concluded that working a part-time job less than 20 hours a week can actually help the GPA of students.

Another potential result in a student working is that it will take longer to graduate or possibly cause a student to drop classes. It was in fact found that there is a 10% higher chance of either occurring for students who worked more than 20 hours a week, "however, working 20 hours or less per week on campus did not seem to have an effect on drop"out rates compared to non"workers." [1] In fact, one expert thinks having a part-time job under 20 hours increases the chances of completing college.

Therefore, a part-time job that is under 20 hours a week is most beneficial to students, as it gives them a work ethic that will improve their grades, gives them money to help pay for college expenses, and makes it more likely they will finish college.

[1] http://www.byu.edu...
[2] http://nces.ed.gov...
[3] http://www.nber.org...
Foliya

Con

But would you like to work if everything was OK with your finances? Yes, maybe some experts assume that it is beneficial for students' GPA and discipline. But let's look from another point. A person spends one-third of their lives working, not taking into consideration part-time jobs in childhood. We shouldn't forget that students are children, not working machines. They will have enough work during their lives, so in teen ages they should have freedom from "adult" lives. Moreover, early entry into a negative or harsh work environment may encourage negative views of work. And it consequently can have an impact on the future, making a working student think that the job is challenge and nothing but the means of getting money.
Even if 15 or less hour-work doesn't have an influence on students' marks, it will definitely deprive them of free time. Due to this, students won't have time for their hobbies and for expanding their outlooks by reading, watching films, etc. This time is very inportant for formation of a student's individuality and view on the world. If they are destitute of it in childhood, what to say about adulhood, when there are much more working hours? Also, exactly at this period of live children should choose their future profession according to their interests. but if they don't have any interests due to after school job, It can be very hard for them and can lead to the wrong choice of profession.
Capitalistslave

Pro

You see, it's kind of a catch 22 though. You say a teenager or young adult won't have time to pursue their interests if they work and go to school, however, how are they supposed to afford to have interests if they don't have money for said interests? Interests that are free(cost no money) are very limited. I'd also like to point out, from personal experience, it is very possibly to have interests, to be working 20 hours or less a week, and to be going to school full-time. I had a job working as a telephone survey taker, working about 20 hours every week while going to school with 15 credit hours of classes and a president of a club that took up several hours during the week. I learned, from this experience, how to manage my time and ended up with approximately 15-20 hours of free time each week after I studied, went to classes, went to work, and did club activities. I even maintained a GPA above 3.5. While, maybe 15-20 hours a week is not ideal for the many interests a person has, it is still enough to enjoy things. If we want to include the club activities in as part of my interests/free time, which technically it was, I had probably 20-25 hours of free time each week.

There is enough time in a day to go to classes, work, study, sleep, and have some free time left over. For example, let's say classes and walking between classes takes up 4 hours(I say four hours since usually one has about 3 classes in day in college, since few classes are 5 days a week), sleep takes up 7-8 hours, work is 4 hours+1 hour of commuting back and forth let's say, and studying is another 4 hours. Then let's take out 2 hours for getting ready for the day and to eat(that's usually how fast I was at eating 3 meals a day and getting ready). That leaves 1-2 hours of free time each day you have work, and let's not forget that if you're working 20 hours a week, 4 hours a day, that is only 5 days out of the week, so the days you don't work you have more hours left than that, 4 hours extra to be precise. In addition to that, you also don't go to classes every day so that's another 4 hours added during those days. So since that's two days for both, that adds another 16 hours of free time per week, plus the 1-2 hours of free tie when you do work and go to school, that's 21-26 hours of free time per week.

All of this really just requires time management to be honest, and that is a good skill to have.
Posted by natch 2 weeks ago
natch
Spent 7 weeks getting a pair of Nike HyperDunks that had just came out and spent a lot of my time working in the yard by mowing or doing manual labor felt so good reaching my goal after all that time... Went to school and one of those school kids thats just a jerk to everyone went and bugged their parents that same night and got the exact same style just to prove the fact they where better then everyone made me mad as all get out but I just realized it wasn't just the fact i earned my shoes but the fact I put in the labor necessary to get it which gives me a better feeling of accomplishment then jack jawing about the fact you can be a pain in the as$ so much your parents hand you whatever.

Sorry got off topic a bit but my side is I was able to do the jobs necessary even when going to school by doing my homework which did not take the whole afternoon and taking about 4 hours to do what I needed to do.

I like the debate btw
Posted by TheBenC 2 weeks ago
TheBenC
When I was in school I also worked 20 hours a week. I earned what I wanted and spent my money on what I wanted. Those are very valuable lessons.

The alternative is either the kid gets nothing he wants or his parents give him what he wants. Both are not good for the kid, though the latter is much worse.

Working for what you want is what the real world is all about. Go out, get a job and earn those new shoes!