kuroshitsuji
Travniki

Altering our body to be fit for society...

kuroshitsuji

kuroshitsuji

Con

Throughout our lives, society has told us how we should look to be deemed beautiful. We try to reach an impossible goal, and waste effort in trying to achieve that goal. We look at these "picture perfect" people and envy their flawless beauty. However, in reality, they are just as imperfect as the people society criticizes. We are so insecure that we go as far as to alter ourselves entirely to achieve that desired flawless appearance.
Billions of dollars are spent annually on cosmetic and hair products that promise to enhance physical beauty. Television commercials overly exaggerate the capabilities of their products with elaborate special effects, persuasive narrators, and "perfect" looking people. What we do not realize is how fictitious it all is. Models are fixed and professionally made beautiful, but even then they are not completely flawless. They are fixed digitally to give them the look that people continually strive to achieve. Some people dedicate their lives to look "perfect" in the eyes of society. But who really is the judge of beauty and perfection?
Our insecurities are the only ugly thing about us. Beauty companies feed off of the flaws of others and use them to make a profit. Companies set an unreachable goal that is impossible to achieve. No matter how hard we try, it is never good enough. Some people are so insecure that they resort to altering themselves with plastic surgery or botox. A few even become obsessed with their looks and constantly attempt to fix every flaw they believe they have. Weight is one of the biggest insecurities of them all. A lot of people have an unhealthy obsession with losing weight. They will try anything to have a "perfect" body Anorexia, bulimia and even certain weight loss diets are unhealthy to the human body. Yet people still do these things that do not perfect your body, but rather harm it.
Society tells us we have to fit a certain height or weight, and have certain features to be classified as a "beautiful" person. We do not need anyone telling us how we have to look. everyone is unique and beautiful in their individual ways and no one else has the rights to say otherwise.
Travniki

Pro

I thank my Opponent for this debate. I think we can both agree that true beauty comes from your inner self, and that what you look like has no effect on how you are. However we are arguing whether an individual should strive to look like the ideal body types presented by the media, not whether that is true beauty or the equation for true happiness.
A main theme of my opponents argument: Why try to reach for the unattainable? It is impossible to attain the ideal body type
To quote a great man of the Indian subcontinent, "The journey of one thousand miles begins with a step" This debate isn't about whether the ideal body can be attained, it is whether it is worth pursuing. But even if it wasn't, should the skinny man not hit the gym so he can feel confident and self empowered as he grows stronger and more attractive to the opposite sex? It is true no one can attain perfection, but perfection is not the "ideal" body type, see my first contention for analysis on this subject.
Billions of Dollars are wasted in the Cosmetic Industry

First off I'll say that make up helps woman do what they intrinsically want, not what the media wants, which is attract members of the opposite sex. Second, the beauty industry is a harmless pleasure that is an enormous boost to the economy. It helps woman feel more secure, as they are judged by other members of society, not the media. I argue today that the beauty industry was created to help woman escape from other woman's natural instinct to judge, not a result of media conditioning.
Altering our bodies leads to Bulimia and other serious disorders

Never does society tell us we need to look like 90 pound starving citizen of Chad. This debate isn't "Bulimia is bad", in fact I'm not sure what this debate isn't about. But I am arguing that we should change our bodies to fit societies standards...so Ill actually address that in coherent arguments.
First Point: What does Society want us to look like? Is it healthy?
Con never defined what he was talking about, so in order to ensure this doesn't turn into a ANOREXIA IS BAD! debate, I'll provide some definitions.
Men: Tanned, Muscular, rigid personal hygiene and great sense of pride in hair
Women: Athletic, slim, toned body, rigid personal hygiene, great hair
Now why on earth would no one want to attain this? Obesity is a plague in most Western Liberal Democracies, and we can all agree that to pursue this you will become much healthier and your life expectancy will be raises proportionally. And what about the vast majority? The average populace? Well Societies ideal standards are kind of just a buffed up version of you. So unless you are so blind and escapist to say people are perfect the way they are and that there is no room for improvement, then one should pursue societies ideal body type.
"Society tells us we have to fit a certain height or weight, and have certain features to be classified as a "beautiful" person. We do not need anyone telling us how we have to look. everyone is unique and beautiful in their individual ways and no one else has the rights to say otherwise."
This is not a valid argument, we aren't debating whether beauty is completely subjective. That is because society has taken an objective stance on beauty which involves being a healthy, fit, active person. Anyone and everyone should try to attain this, to hit the gym and get some sun. It will make us healthier and happier to try and attain the standards society has set for us. Because who made that standard? Us. THe populace. We should strive to make ourselves more appealing to the opposite sex, more fit and healthier.

kuroshitsuji

Con

I thank my opponent for posing a strong argument.

"This debate isnt about whether the ideal body can be attained, it is whether it is worth pursuing"

Actually this debate is not if its worth pursuingbut if it is right or wrong to.

"Should skinny man not hit the gym so he can feel confident and self empowered as he grows stronger and more attractive to the opposite sex?"

That is a good point. Yes they should but the dia shouldnt be putting it in their minds that is is ugly to be fat. They are pushing them not to goto the gym, but to use alternative methods like lipouction or diet pills. Yes it is good to lose weight if needed bt not in the ways that television and magazines are telling them to.

"First off I'll say that make up helps woman do what they intrinsically want, not what the media wants, which is attract members of the opposite sex."

Do magazines, movies, t.v commercials and shows not put "picture perfect" people on display. Women wantto lookgood for the opposite sex but are rarely satisfied with their results. They can't help but envy the women they se flawnting their motified beauty.

"Second, the beauty industry is a harmless pleasure that is an enormous boost to the economy. It helps woman feel more secure, as they are judged by other members of society, not the media."

Harmless? I guess in a way they are both harmeless and not. It makes women want to keep covering their natural selves in piles of makeup. They are judged by society. That is the problem. Society is awe struck by beautiful women of the media, so when they see realitys women they feel as though no one else can obtain that beauty. Media doesnt judge, it creates the means for judgement.

"Never does society tell us we need to look like 90 pound starving citizen of Chad. This debate isn't "Bulimia is bad", in fact I'm not sure what this debate isn't about. But I am arguing that we should change our bodies to fit societies standards...so Ill actually address that in coherent arguments."

Society doesnt say we have to look like a "90 lb. citizen of Chad" as you say it, but t ephasizes the look of an unnaturally small figure. Most models on runways are too small to be healthy and are supposed to at small amounts in order to stay that way. There is a difference between halthy weight and desired weight. Most women are never satisfied wth their weight even when it is perfect. They always want to look like the people they see on t.v.

"Men: Tanned, Muscular, rigid personal hygiene and great sense of pride in hair
Now why on earth would no one want to attain this? Obesity is a plague in most Western Liberal Democracies, and we can all agree that to pursue this you will become much healthier and your life expectancy will be raises proportionally. And what about the vast majority? The average populace? Well Societies ideal standards are kind of just a buffed up version of you. So unless you are so blind and escapist to say people are perfect the way they are and that there is no room for improvement, then one should pursue societies ideal body type."

So that is your version of the ideal sexes? This is your version but not everyones. Why cant people just be their natural selves. Why do they have to try so hard just to please everyone else? personally i cant stand muscular men with rigid personalitys and pride in hair. i dont mind skin color but unnatural tans disgust me. Women dont have to be a certain shape. This is my opinon proving that your version is not the idea one It is just your opinion. We can tell people there is roomfor improvment but we shouldnt tell them to reach goals that are nearly imposssible.

Travniki

Pro

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have broken down my opponents arguments into three themes, but first I am going to write an argument on why I have won this debate.

This debate is about whether or not we should pursue societies ideal body. My opponent has conceded that societies version of the body is the ideal body of the greater majority "They always want to look like the people they see on t.v.", so the only thing left for Con to argue is whether or not people should try to obtain the body that they want, he has to prove why a person who craves to be skinny/muscular should refuse to work out and start eating healthier.

His First Theme: They will never be happy, even if you become drop dead gorgeus you wont be happy with yourself

That is completely true, but no one is ever happy with their body. Period. It doesnt matter if it is their body or "societies" body, people will always be unhappy. But at least with societies body you can have a longer life expectancy and attract members of the opposite sex/find love because people can't help but be attracted to you.

And thats not entierly true. Lots of people become happier after buying into societies body. Many woman who enter Weight Loss programs feel a new confidence blooming in them as the pounds fall off. Many men watch with pride as they turn fat into muscle, and adaopt a new, healthier body than their old one.

His Second Theme: The medias ideal body is somewhat unhealthy.

We can all agree Bulimia is bad. But the media doesn't portray living skeletons on the verge of death. It is true that most modeling companies do, but popular television/movies usually portray Woman with an ample amount of body fat around their hips and chest. As far as men go....all men should buy into the medias representation, all it involves in a clean shaven, immaculate hygene, and a well toned-yet not overdone body.

His Third Theme: WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST BE THE WAY WE ARE!!! MY MOM SAID IM BEAUTIFULL WHO IS SOCIETY TO TELL ME I NEED TO LOSE THE LOVEHANDLES?

Life isn't a Disney movie. No one should be content with how they are, be it in education, finance or health. There is always room for improvment, room to reach higher and become a better person. It is absurd and escapist to say we should be happy with the way our bodies are. Thats like saying you went to College so why pursue knoweldge any more? We can always become healthier in this age of rampant obesity and inactivity, and unlike knoweldge, there are objective standards for beauty that all Humans share. Sure the media exaggerates them a bit, but the concepts are still there. "The Journey of a Thousand Miles Starts With a Step".

The only question that needs to be argued is whether Societies Body is the right body?

I've made this my caseline from the start while Con has kind of just ranted bit, I couldn't really make out where he stands on this debate, but my analysis has proven stronger.

Thank you

kuroshitsuji

Con

Im sorry if my stand was unclear. You seemed to have misinterpreted the meaning of my statements.
This arguement wasnt just for weight. You seemed to find one topic to argue on and go from that. You have failed to see the point of this arguement. I should have made it clearer, but i thought it was simple enough to understand.
theme 1: It is very arrogant to say that societys body is the body that people are attracted to. No one looks that way so no one could possibly find anyone like that. It is all fake. Having a goal is fine, but to look at someone and strive to be just like them is no good for them. (this arguement is weak but i can not articulate my thoughts.)

Theme 2: Once again im not talking about looking like a skeleton. I am saying the people who are ridiculously skinny. The ones who look like they have survived off of such low calorie, low carbed foods. People who arent completely unhealthy but dont get much of their basic food groups.

Theme 3: You are talking about perfectionism. Yes, you should always aim higher. But to always think its not good enough is a terrible thing to think and act. You should be content but eager to go a little higher each time.
My opponent did good in his arguement but failed to realize the main theme of this.They failed to analyze the facts fully. To my opponent, I first want to say that I am not a boy, so referring to me as he/him/his is a bit insulting. you failed to be very observant in the simplest of things. You chose one of my arguements to debate about and failed to include or mention the others.
It is not up to me who the winnner is. So i will not be so bold like my opponent as to say that I win. It is up to the members of this site to determine who conducted a better arguement.
I want to congratulate my opponent for taking this debate seriously and good luck. Thank you.
Travniki

Pro

I do apologize! I must admit I can be gendro-centric at times and I assumed you were a boy simply because I am one.

Con has accused me of Cherrypicking her arguments-I counter by accusing her of not arguing the resolution.

She is trying to make me enter the debate "Societies ideal image makes people feel bad about themselves"

That is why you cannot articulate your thoughts-you want to argue that Societies body makes people feel bad about themselves, and I am not playing ball because that is a one-sided debate and has little relevance to this resolution.

I believe I have given relevant reasons why one should alter ones body to be fit for society, Ill summarize my case:

-Societies body is quite healthier-we can all agree Bulimic models are bad, but the athletic tanned figures portrayed by the media don't encourage that

-Societies body, whether good or not is the preferred body of the individual-at the end of the day everyone wants to look good and muscular so why not try to attain that?

-Hitting the gym and diet has never hurt anyone-even if you can't look like Megan Fox you can still take up jogging to try and attain the ideal body "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

-In todays society beauty is rather objective, you will have a higher chance of attracting a mate if you try to look like Megan Fox or Neil Patrick Harris

I believe I can summarize my opponents case by taking one excerpt from her speech:

" It is very arrogant to say that societies body is the body that people are attracted to"

No. No it's not. Historically men have always been attracted to certain features in woman and vice versa. It is true that societies portrayal of a woman is almost completely unattainable, but it is not unhealthy. I stand for men and woman hitting the gym, going tanning (That much needed vitamin D) and balancing their diet.

Obesity and inactivity are very large problems.

Today I propose that we should alter our bodies to be fit for society
Posted by frozen_eclipse 4 years ago
frozen_eclipse
I completly agree with con. I dont agree with much of pros statements because we cannot make the observation of ones happiness based on others standards of happiness. Everyone obtains happiness,a sense of beauty, etc...based on their own standards of what happiness or other feelings are to themselves.......yes society has a influence,but we make our own decisions of what to accept as the truth or reality......( reality is perception).......society thinks fat people are ugly while some fat people think there hot........so just because you follow societies standard of beauty doesnt mean you will be happy........i feel as if pro insulted con slightly a bit so conduct goes to con as well......
Vote Placed by frozen_eclipse 4 years ago
frozen_eclipse
kuroshitsujiTravnikiTied
Reasons for voting decision: comments section for reasons.......