Katelyn6913
Rational_Thinker9119

Alternative Rock is better than Rap or hip/hop

Started: 2/25/2012 Category: Arts

Katelyn6913

Pro

Alternative rock I think is one of the most underrated genres. On the radio today all we seem to hear is Auto-tuned pop and rap or hip hop. There are so many alternative and punk artists that are so talented and don't need to use auto tune or don't care about being in the top 40 hits yet their powerful music isn't as popular because they aren't what society and radio stations might see as popular but I think they were given a chance the genre would become much more popular than the rap/hip on the radio today. Alternative rock and punk is a very raw and emotional genre with artists that write such meaningful and relatable lyrics where rap and hip artists write lyrics that are much more vulgar than alternative/punk artists and they rap so fast most of the time their lyrics are barely ever understandable.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

I take it first round is for acceptance, so present your case.
Katelyn6913

Pro

Katelyn6913 forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Rational_Thinker9119 forfeited this round.
Katelyn6913

Pro

Katelyn6913 forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

"Alternative rock I think is one of the most underrated genres. On the radio today all we seem to hear is Auto-tuned pop and rap or hip hop."

The music on the radio isn't a good representation of hip-hop or rap. Nas, Big L, 2 Pac, Biggie, Big Pun ect. are all amazing artists who shouldn't be compared to the likes of LMFAO if you want to talk about garbage music on the radio.

"There are so many alternative and punk artists that are so talented and don't need to use auto tune or don't care about being in the top 40 hits yet their powerful music isn't as popular because they aren't what society and radio stations might see as popular but I think they were given a chance the genre would become much more popular than the rap/hip on the radio today"

I hate to break it to my opponent, but most rappers don't use auto-tune. My opponent is confusing the stuff the overplay on the radio with real hip hop. As a hip-hop artist myself, I know what it feels like to be underrated so I'm not sure how the above is a case for alternative rock being better than rock or hip-hop

"Alternative rock and punk is a very raw and emotional genre"

So is hip-hop, listen to the song Dance with the Devil by Immortal technique and tell me that's not very raw or emotional.

"Rap and hip artists write lyrics that are much more vulgar than alternative/punk artists and they rap so fast most of the time their lyrics are barely ever understandable."

I can name many vulgar alternative rock songs, also just because you can't understant it doesn't mean others can't.

I don't have to argue that rap/hip-hop is better than alternative rock to win this debate, all I have to do is refute your claims that that alternative rock is better, which I did.

Katelyn6913

Pro

Katelyn6913 forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Katelyn6913

Pro

Katelyn6913 forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con