riojalad
AndreiBalint

Alzheimer's

riojalad

Pro

This is the most cruel disease of them all.
AndreiBalint

Con

Why is Alzheimers disease the worst in the world ? In order to argument my point of view I will start by saying that the human life has either pleasure or pains in it . Thus by analyzing through this spectrum I must only demonstrate that Alzheimers disease delivers less negative feelings than other diseaseses. So let's start with the question : " What is Alzheimers ? "
Alzheimer's disease (AD), also known as Alzheimer disease, is the most common form of dementia. The most common early symptom is difficulty in remembering recent events. As the disease advances, symptoms can include confusion, irritability, aggression, mood swings, trouble with language, and long-term memory loss. So in a nutshell said such a disease is purely psychological thus we can eliminate the posibility of physical pain. Next on the list is the "pain " which it causes to "you " as in the person affected. In the first stages it might be posible to cause some disconfort because of the fact that you can not do your usual tasks etc but as the diseases progresses it quickly destroys the current " you " by erasing both short-term and long-term memories. Thus the you that would suffer from that is not the "you" , you actually were. There is no pain inflicted by the lack of memories it just creates a new interation of "you" by the existing data . The psychological pain you feel is inflicted by your friends and family which try to socialize with you not by the disease .
So we have demonstrated that from a phisical point of view it does not cause pain and from a psychological point of view it only causes disatisfaction. Now let's look at cancer... Cancer causes phisical pain constantly and ever increasing disatisfaction , it does not destroy your brain ( unless its brain cancer ) so your mind will be able to cause itself psychological pain by thinking about the impending death. Thus i conclude that Alzheimers is not as bad as physical ilness which creates both physical dissatifaction and the impending fear of death .
riojalad

Pro

I admit defeat after the first round. Your argument is sound and well informed. I was looking at it from a purely selfish position. My wife has this thing and it takes me all my time to cope. It is known as the long goodbye and affects those who care far more than the sufferer. If anything, what you have said has made me feel better in myself. Yes she is happy. It is me who is not. It was my first attempt to start a debate to try and take my mind off things. I will try better next time.
AndreiBalint

Con

AndreiBalint forfeited this round.
riojalad

Pro

riojalad forfeited this round.
AndreiBalint

Con

AndreiBalint forfeited this round.
Posted by Saska 2 years ago
Saska
While I may not agree that Alzheimer's is the MOST cruel disease of all, I would agree that it is very close to the top of the list. It may not be the most cruel to the patient himself/herself, but it is cruel to everyone involved, more so (in my opinion) than most other diseases. My grandma also suffered from Alzheimer's and it was a massive struggle for everyone. She lost the ability to take care of herself. My aunt had to dress her, help her go to the washroom, feed her, etc. My grandma didn't recognize people, she threatened people (she actually threatened to kill a care giver with a bowl of cereal), she didn't recognize her family... She died because she gave up trying to live. She spent two weeks laying in a hospital bed, not moving, not eating... The last time I saw her she wasn't more than 70 lbs and was barely able to breathe. But the worst part of it all is that everyone once and a while she had a moment of lucidity, where she seemed like herself... And she would say things like "Get me out of here." It was like she knew what was going on but was trapped somewhere and couldn't get out.

Yes cancer is terrible and painful, as are many other diseases, but what is more cruel than what I just explained above?

I feel for you, Riojalad, and I have a ton of respect for anyone who commits the time, effort and love that it takes to care for someone with Alzheimer's. I truly hope that things go as well as they possibly can with you and your wife, because I wouldn't wish what I saw my grandpa, father, aunts, uncles and other family members go through on even my worst enemies.