Amazon is yanking our chains about that drone delivery system

There is simply no way that Amazon or anyone is ever going to implement a drone delivery system as far as a large scale delivery system. Anyone want to have a light-hearted debate? First round for acceptance.

I shall accept your challenge good sir

brett.winstead forfeited this round.

Well, my opponent forfeited, so ill give a reason as to why I think the drone delivery system may be possible.

1. It wouldn't be that hard to program a device it follow a route. Don't we have some unmanned vehicles IN SPACE, that are controlled and given directions and routes from Earth?

Sorry, I missed the other round. I did not realize someone had finally accepted the debate. Not getting notices from this site to my email is not helping.

Anyway, the reason why I don't think Amazon will ever implement a drone delivery system are the following:

1. The sky would be so full of drones, it would be great fun for bored people to shoot them down. They would shoot them, not just for the fun of it, but also for the prize package they would get.

2. How could drones possibly deliver to people living in condos and apartments? In most of those places, packages have to be taken to an office and signed for and the resident is notified that they have a package. A drone will not go through doors to find a desk clerk to get a package signed for and then exit. Not possible.

3. Weather. How is a drone going to deliver when the weather is bad? Rain and lighting cannot be good for a little drone with electrical components.

4. Even though a drone could find a residential destination, it cannot know where to drop the package. A human would know to leave it out of the weather elements as in under a porch to be protected in case of rain. A drone could leave it out in the middle of the yard only to get rained on (or stolen) before someone gets home. It is not going to ring a doorbell and wait for a signature. A drone can only see an address. It cannot know what it will find once it finds an address as far as cover or a good place to leave a package.

5. I could be mistaken on this part but how can a drone avoid trees and power lines? It may know exactly where to go but can it see any obstacles in the way? I doubt it.

Your turn!

eyeballsac forfeited this round.

brett.winstead forfeited this round.

Here I will list your arguments and give my feedback.

1: First off, that would be illegal. By that same logic, people could just shoot down the human delivering stuff for the "prize package". But you don't see that happening everyday.

2: To be honest I'm not sure how they could work this one out. That is a very good argument. Maybe the drones could be operated by humans, but I guess that would defeat the purpose of them in the first place.

3: Who's to say these little drones can't be weather proofed? I bet there's some heavy duty something out there that could protect these drones.

4: If someone is going to be ordering something via drone, then I thing they would be at the place the package is being delivered to. So, once the drone drops the package off the person can just go and pick it up.

5: As for the drones being able to avoid obstacles, they could put a camera on it so that it could see its surroundings and calculate its path.

So, all of my arguments are just guesswork. Amazon may or may not go through with this drone thing, but I think it is a very intereting idea to look into.
Vote Placed by KingDebater 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited less and fulfilled his burden of proof.