FedericoW
Zealous1

Amazon.com is better, cheaper, and more efficient than ebay.com

Zealous1

FedericoW

Pro

This is the round of acceptance. Please cite your sources if you have any or just say it was logic and you thought of it by yourself at the end of your essay thing. (this is for a homework so the more evidence you cite the better my grade is) Sharing is caring!!! (remember this is not a real debate topic! so please cite as much as you can)
Zealous1

Con

I accept this debate round, with the conditions that:

1. eBay is http://www.ebay.com....

2. Amazon is http://www.amazon.com...;

3. Pro must prove that eBay is always better than Amazon (as he stated in comments), and I must disprove that.

I look forward to a good round!
FedericoW

Pro

Hi, I am on the pro side of this debate, Resolved: Amazon.com is better, cheaper, and more efficient than Ebay.com.

1st contention- Amazon is cheaper than EBay
2nd contention- EBay is a bad influence on children and adults
3rd contention- It is easier to watch movies on Amazon than on EBay

1st- Amazon is cheaper than EBay in many ways. In EBay things are sold like a auction. People will keep on betting on things that they want and by the time the auction is over that money will be piling to the sky. At Amazon, you by it at regular priced. The only reason Amazon is still living is because they SOMETIMES over charge you on shipping fee, but EBay not only they over charge you on shipping fee, but also on the regular item. This is exactly why Meg Whitman is way richer than Jeffrey P. Bezos.

2nd- EBay is a bad influence on children and adults, because of betting. As is said before, EBay not only earns money form the shipping fee but also form the auctions. Betting in this case is a source of gambling, and kids/adults might get influenced and have the urge to do a higher level of betting.

3rd- It is easier to watch movies on Amazon than on EBay. As everyone knows that you can instantly watch a movie on Amazon. This not only saves human's precious time by going out to buy a video or waiting for your order to come in, but also the fuel of the delivery. It can help mother nature in many ways. Also this isn't really costly.

EBay is worse than Amazon.
Zealous1

Con

I thank my opponent for posting his contentions.

Before I move on, I want to establish the burden of proof Pro and Con has. Although the resolution, or title of this debate is "Amazon is better, cheaper, and more efficient than eBay", I need to clarify one word. Let us add "always" right after "is".

Why? Well, Pro answered yes to my question in the comments section. I asked, "Is it your position that Amazon is always better than ebay?" He answered yes.

Thus, in order for Pro to win, he must prove that amazon is always better than ebay, while I must simply prove him wrong. Furthermore, Pro did not contend with my statement in the acceptance round that "pro is to prove that amazon is always better than ebay".

I will now proceed to respond to his contentions, and then bring out my own.

Contention 1. Amazon is cheaper than eBay

I can disprove this argument simply by finding a product that is cheaper on eBay than Amazon.

Literally the first product I looked for, and I found that the eBay but it now feature was cheaper than the amazon new and used. Only the refurbished amazon version was cheaper, but the eBay product was just used, not refurbished.

http://www.amazon.com...

http://www.ebay.com...

Now, given that Pro must prove amazon is
always better than ebay, this argument alone is enough to disprove Pro's position. But I don't want to provide a rather boring debate to voters or to Pro, so I will do more than this.

Contention 2. eBay is a bad influence

In order for Pro to prove this, he should use evidence of some sort, and it should be credible. This kind of statement can not be made with logic.

Betting in a game and betting on eBay is two different things altogether.

For one, gambling causes health problems. (1) Does eBay cause health problems? I would hardly say so.

Secondly, eBay is just like an auction, Pro agrees to this. If eBay is such a bad influence, wouldn’t auctions be as well? How about everyday life where you make a prediction about something, or take a risk? In other words, if eBay has bad influences, all of life has bad influences towards gambling.

Once again this is something that needs proof from Pro.

Contention 3. Watching movies

It’s all good and nice that Amazon features a movie watching capability, but notice that there are other ways to watch movies online besides Amazon. Take Netflix, for an example. My point here is that eBay doesn’t need a movie-watching capability, since there are other available ways to do so.

Now that I’ve answered Pro’s contentions, I will move on to create my own.

Before I do so, I would like to state my overall philosophy. “eBay is not for everyone, but is quite useful for many”. I will be supporting this with my contentions.

Contention 1. Auction system

Admittedly, the bidding/auctioning system is not always a piece of cake and pie. In fact, for some people, you might end up getting the item at a higher price than you would have on Amazon.

That is why one of the things you need to look out for is your maximum price. It is important to never bid above what you could get that product for at some other place.

Also, on listings with a buy it now button, bidding above what the buy it now price is set at is foolish, since you could instantly get it for that price without bidding.

When you go into eBay to get a product through the auctioning system, it has to be something that you don’t need immediately. So why use eBay? Answer: Low prices if you’re good enough.

Let’s take an example. Imagine you have a trip in two months, and you want a GPS before then. You could either get it quickly on Amazon, or try to get a deal on it on eBay.

You spend a little time researching, and then finally you go to eBay and find twenty listings for the product. You’ve set your maximum price based on Amazon and other website’s prices. You find a listing that’s going for another three days, and has no bids. The last five hours, three people start bidding on it.

Last five minutes, it’s still below the price you had as your maximum.

Last ten seconds, you submit your bid after two of the other bidders lost interest, and you win, twenty dollars below your maximum.

Sure, it took more work than Amazon, but you saved money.

Contention 2. Buy it now system

Not only can you get low prices by auctioning, but sometimes the buy it now feature will give you a lower price than the Amazon price in the first place. (See my answer to contention 1 of Pro).

I’ve answered Pro’s contentions and brought up my own. Once again, eBay is not for everyone, but those who know how to use it can benefit. Even if you yourself believe that Amazon is better for your needs, recognize that everyone has different wants and needs, and eBay can fulfill it for many.

Because Pro needs to prove that Amazon is always better than eBay, and I have proved eBay is better than Amazon in some respects, for certain people, I urge you to vote Con. Thank you for voting.

(1) http://rehab-international.org...

FedericoW

Pro

FedericoW forfeited this round.
Zealous1

Con

Zealous1 forfeited this round.
FedericoW

Pro

FedericoW forfeited this round.
Zealous1

Con

Zealous1 forfeited this round.
Posted by Zealous1 5 years ago
Zealous1
Hey, thanks for that, it was just luck of the draw though that you forfeited first. I'll post the title in the forums.
Posted by FedericoW 5 years ago
FedericoW
vote for con!!!!! (mercy points would be nice)
Posted by Zealous1 5 years ago
Zealous1
*forfeited to give you a chance*
Posted by FedericoW 5 years ago
FedericoW
sorry i forgot to post it
Posted by FedericoW 5 years ago
FedericoW
Did i fail? Sorry I forgot to post the website/sources, but may you please do it!!! :)
Posted by Zealous1 5 years ago
Zealous1
.... Taking a while.
Posted by FedericoW 5 years ago
FedericoW
I am going to finish it tomorrow. I am almost done, but i need to go to sleep
Posted by FedericoW 5 years ago
FedericoW
i forgot to tell you that we can use .coms but it has to be first- hands sources meaning that the website can't be information that was copied/read off of somebody.
Posted by FedericoW 5 years ago
FedericoW
yes, so you are saying that ebay is better than amazon
Posted by Zealous1 5 years ago
Zealous1
Is it your position that Amazon is always better than ebay?
Vote Placed by Hardcore.Pwnography 5 years ago
Hardcore.Pwnography
FedericoWZealous1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: CON had an argument
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
FedericoWZealous1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con found one thing on ebay that was cheaper, defeating the resolution. Also why did you both FF? Also he had 4 sources, pro had none.