bwilkins369
Adam2

America: Christian Nation?

Adam2

bwilkins369

Con

America was not established as a Christian nation. Many people say that America was a Christian nation, but these people do not know enough about the government of the United States. It is true that a majority of Americans are Christians, but this does not make America a Christian Nation. If America was a Christian nation, this would mean we would have a theocracy. If America was a Christian nation, we would not have the separation of church and state. Now, I do not mean to offend anyone, I would just like to see if my mindset can be changed. I do not say this as an atheist, I say this as a religious person (though I will not reveal my faith due to subjects of debates and problems it could create). I am looking forward to what happens in this debate.
Adam2

Pro

It's hard to say for sure... I mean on one hand I wanna agree with you, but on another no. Many of the things in our country are from the Bible. Mind you this is not to say America is a country favoring one religion or the other. Never was. The Declaration said, "That all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." "We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the name, and by authority of the good people of these colonies, solemnly publish and declare, that these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as free and independent states, they have full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor." "Declaration of Independence." Our pledge of allegiance has it. The inscription on our bills say it. Many things about this country are Christian. I look forward to con's argument. You have the Ten Commandments in some government buildings.
bwilkins369

Con

bwilkins369 forfeited this round.
Adam2

Pro

Mind you this is not to say that America is a Christian country in the technical sense. After all, our Founders were against favoring one religion over the other. However to say America has no Christian heritage is outright wrong. Many assets of our country were based on the Magna Carta and later the Reformation. I look forward to con's argument.
bwilkins369

Con

bwilkins369 forfeited this round.
Adam2

Pro

So there you have it folks. Vote pro
Posted by Adam2 3 years ago
Adam2
Alina3017, I wasn't protesting that. I don't think he meant Christian country as in the way you say it. Obviously we ain't like England or Denmark, which have Lutheranism. Wait, England has Anglicanism though (though in the North it might be Presbyterian).
Posted by alina3017 3 years ago
alina3017
We live in a Christian culture with the majority of the population being Christian, but the government is, by all means, secular. There exists a concept of the separation of church and state. We are ruled by government officials, not by religious leaders. Jurisdictions are based on practical reasons rather than subjective religious views. This is not a theocracy. Although many of our presidents happen to be Christians (when will we have an atheist or at least non-religious president? Hmm...), they do not attempt to put their religious beliefs or faith into law.
Posted by Adam2 3 years ago
Adam2
The Founders were Christian or some sorta Christian-related sect, like the Deists, who believed in God, just not in God's involvement.
Posted by Maestro9057 3 years ago
Maestro9057
I'd have to disagree those Christian values were not established until later on in the 1950's when GOD WE TRUST was inserted into the pledge. By all rights I understand why faith was wanted at the time we had just went through a hearty war which took it's toll on American minds, who felt at the time there had to be a reason for the madness per say. So instead of dealing and using logic and reason our country decided to reduce it's self to faith( the denial of logic and reason). So in GOD WE TRUST, no I say IN GOD WE COP OUT.
Vote Placed by funwiththoughts 3 years ago
funwiththoughts
bwilkins369Adam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments proved little since the debate was over when the US was established. Putting "In God We Trust" on bills and "One Nation Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance were practices started long after the establishment of America. I don't know what the Declaration of Independence bit proves, but the DOI isn't even a legal document anyway. However, Con failed to show up, so conduct and arguments to Pro anyway.
Vote Placed by drafterman 3 years ago
drafterman
bwilkins369Adam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by jvava 3 years ago
jvava
bwilkins369Adam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate wasn't very convincing - however, since Con practically forfeited this debate, Pro takes it due to conduct.