America Does Not Need More STEM Education

This is an argument against the common belief that STEM is the way out of the current financial crisis and into a new age of prosperity. To be clear, I used to personally agree with the belief, but have changed my mind after reflecting about labor economics.

As much as any other market, labor markets adhere to how when supply goes up, price goes down. The key to modern prosperity, therefore, is not to increase supply. Raising the supply of STEM in America would only depreciate its value. Instead, we need to resolve the supply we have while outcasting supply from abroad.

America today has plenty of nerds who simply cannot network into the workforce despite succeeding in science and math classes while growing up. They are neglected by social alienation due to the deconstruction of humanities and pervasiveness of consumerism, and ignored due to outsourcing and Asian immigration. In order to facilitate their networking, nerds need to be enabled through elevated language arts and discourse ethics. That way, they can actually socialize, communicate, interact, express, and talk their way into a workplace.

Likewise, employers need to be motivated to remain socially responsible not only by employing domestic natives first, but also by not supporting the unweaving of social fabric through consumerism. We need to ensure that Americana is preserved through organic, holistic, sustainable folk community where people can thoroughly celebrate who they are. This will ensure that American students remain focused on their studies as well as have rejuvenating outlets so they don't suffer from burnout. It will also give them something to study for while involved with STEM so they're not stuck wondering, "What am I going to need this for?"

The bottomline is American nerds lack social skills, not technical skills. STEM education facilitates the wrong skill set.

My contention is that social skills are a distraction from reaching the advanced level of knowledge required to operate in the most demanding fields known to man.

STEM jobs are a function of the left hemisphere of the brain. Those at the top of their fields often do so BECAUSE of their lack of social skills: they have a overdeveloped left brain.

Social skills are a function of the right brain and are not required to land a job. Technical aptitude and a history of successful performance is far more important.

Supply and demand: "Over the past 10 years, growth in STEM jobs was three times greater than that of non-STEM jobs, and STEM jobs are expected to continue to grow at a faster rate than other jobs in the coming decade. Meanwhile, STEM workers are also less likely to experience joblessness.[1]"

Most STEM jobs will never be outsourced overseas.
Requirement for on-site work -- Most STEM jobs require work on the site. This allows collaboration with peers in the workplace, as well as ensuring that each employee works a 40+ hour work week.
Requirement for high quality work -- Prime example is the Dell support agent in India, reading from a script. This person is universally despised.

To be clear, I don't entirely disagree over the matter of overdevelopment. However, it's naive to believe that career success can be obtained without social skills where you have to network and collaborate on teams. Furthermore, the demand for STEM related products depends on language arts, and the ability to rejuvenate while studying STEM requires language arts in order to avoid burnout. I'm rather baffled by how you said social skills are not required to land a job. People aren't hired if they're suspected of lacking personal chemistry.

Also, I'm not disagreeing with the growth in STEM jobs either. My point is we aren't cultivating the labor supply to match it. Students need to be motivated to study STEM which means you need language arts. Without language arts, students wonder, "What am I going to need this for?"

I'm not sure about STEM jobs not being outsourced (or recruiting free labor) either:

The point has been made, and accepted as fact, that left brain takes priority over right brain in STEM jobs. I thank my oponent, and this alone could decide the debate in my favor.

I would like to point out the "Gamer" stereotype. The tech savvy geek who is so delighted with computers that he spends all of his free time playing Halo on his new Xbox. In fact, he owns five of them because he throws gaming parties and is wealthy enough to afford the flat-screen TVs that litter his 8/4 house.

Fishing, hiking, scuba diving, hang gliding, even watching TV. None of these hobbies require social skills and are rejuvenating.

I would also point to the fact that everyone has a degree of aptitude in normal speech patterns. These are gleaned from one's peers. Someone going to a small school in the south would be discriminated against because of the redneck stereotype. This is not the fault of his school, this is the fault of his peers.

College is the place were the rural geniuses rise to the top. Honing their negotiating skills in a dating-friendly environment, I would say that finding a relationship is far more difficult than finding a job.

The biological urge to mate brings the introvert out of his/her shell, onto the scene, negotiating for various aspects in the dating relationship. Some even turn into long term.

To ace a job interview, all a person needs to do is be a Yes Man. The company is smart, doing things well, and the interviewee is not dazzled (due to experience) but is favorably impressed.

Focus on strengths in the interview.

Headhunters are always looking for new talent. is a great source. Don't call "us," we'll call you.

I'm not sure if it's understood why overdevelopment is an issue.

To use a chemical equation analogy, say you need reactants X + Y to yield product Z. If you have enough X, you don't need more of it. You need more Y. Otherwise, you just end up with supersaturation. Likewise, the more effort you commit towards gathering X, the less effort you commit towards gathering Y.

If we commit on and on over gathering STEM education, then we won't have the language arts required to match it.

The "gamer" stereotype is not necessarily STEM inclined either. People can indulge in playing games without understanding how they're made. It's possible to be lazy or play games just for fun. Heck, if anything, gamers are people who lack language arts and are socially alienated such that they play games to escape alienation.

Also, while I agree that there are alternative hobbies, those hobbies are not necessarily convenient for studying. They also ignore how people are entitled to assimilate into the society they're born into for rejuvenation as well. Heck, individualistic hobbies don't rejuvenate the social state of mind which allows people to learn better among groups.

Likewise, the matter of blaming one's peers is partially what language arts overcomes. If anything, that reinforces my point because the absence of innate language arts in society leads to a discouragement of STEM education - becoming skilled is inhibited because your peers call you an arrogant knowitall. It's not cool to be smart, and the pursuit of becoming smart is inhibited by conflicting culture.

Even at college, students need to have decent social skills in order to still rejuvenate in their studies. Without language arts, they're still ruined because they can't rejuvenate among their peers. Only those who have the endurance to put up with social alienation and keep their heads in the books end up making it out OK. Those who are depressed get left behind.

STEM jobs are simply cogs in the machine, interchangeable parts.

People are human beings. You will find that STEM employees are more literate and have a larger vocabulary than their peers working at McDonalds.

Knowing that CSS stands for Cascading StyleSheets does more to land a STEM job than knowing that Emily Bronte wrote Wuthering Heights.

Language arts are REQUIRED for all college degrees. I respectfully submit that less language arts, and more relevant study to the actual work of STEM would be beneficial.

In summary, STEM jobs are increasing. We need more STEM workers. Qualified workers are hard to find. Being truly qualified for a STEM job is important in the interview to land the job.

Outsourcing of core STEM jobs is not an issue. Most employers require onsite work.

High level work will always remain in Silicon Valley, Redmond Washington, etc.
Posted by Daktoria 3 years ago
I'm Con in order to remain consistent with the negative character of the proposition. The affirmative position would be that America does need more STEM education.
Posted by Yraelz 3 years ago
You are con on the issue "America Does Not Need More STEM Education." This indicates that you believe that "America Does Need More STEM Education. You should revise your position.