bman7720
anish1996

America Should Change Focus on Incarceration to Rehabilitation

bman7720 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

bman7720

Pro

Please make round one acceptance and your main statement. I will do my best to lay out the definitions per the Oxford English Dictionary.

I will be arguing that the US Government's focus should be on rehabilitation, rather than full incarceration, for criminal acts.

Definitions:
Incarceration: The state of being in prison; imprisonment
Rehabilitation: The act of returning something to its original state.
anish1996

Con

Hello, I accept the debate. Hope debating with you is a nice experience.

Incarceration as a system of dealing with offenders is a system which works far better than rehabilitation. To see why you have to look at the purpose of a criminal justice system. The purpose of a criminal justice system is to ensure that society is protected from perpetrators of unwanted activities. Such a purpose is served far better by ensuring that the perpetrators of criminal activities are taken off the streets and put behind bars for sustained periods rather than them being allowed back into society after a short while.