The Instigator
Modernmoron
Con (against)
Losing
3 Points
The Contender
Scyrone
Pro (for)
Winning
18 Points

America dependance on foreign oil

Do you like this debate?NoYes+0
Add this debate to Google Add this debate to Delicious Add this debate to FaceBook Add this debate to Digg  
Vote Here
Con Tied Pro
Who did you agree with before the debate?
Who did you agree with after the debate?
Who had better conduct?
Who had better spelling and grammar?
Who made more convincing arguments?
Who used the most reliable sources?
Reasons for your voting decision
1,000 Characters Remaining
The voting period for this debate does not end.
Voting Style: Open Point System: 7 Point
Started: 12/30/2007 Category: Technology
Updated: 9 years ago Status: Voting Period
Viewed: 2,266 times Debate No: 1174
Debate Rounds (1)
Comments (6)
Votes (7)

 

Modernmoron

Con

they need to stop letting the gas companies run the country, get a president who does not own a share in gas companies, and stop procrastinating and research alternate energy forms. that way, there wont be any wars over oil, improve the suffering economy and focus on more important issues
Scyrone

Pro

"they need to stop letting the gas companies run the country"

Heh, they only control you if you let them control you. I only let the gas prices become part of my income. If the gas in expensive, I don't care. If it is cheap, I don't care. They don't run the country. The government does. And just because they influence the gas prices, does not mean that the gas companies control us.

"stop procrastinating and research alternate energy forms"

Don't worry, we are safe. Just because we are not does not mean other countries are not. I know that England has battery and solar powered cars in certain parts of London.

I actually think that we must be dependent on oil. We can't really stop that until a later stage.

"there wont be any wars over oil"

Iraq is not an oil War. It is a wrong war, but not an oil War. It is a War on a terror created by the government. Oil is only part of the benefits. Plus, if it was an oil War, that would mean we are trying to make foreign oil ours so we don't become dependent on foreign oil, which is what you don't want.
Debate Round No. 1
6 comments have been posted on this debate. Showing 1 through 6 records.
Posted by HempforVictory 9 years ago
HempforVictory
"And, no, it's not just being exported to Canada for refining, in fact, 39% of all exports are going to places such as Japan who have no chance of reselling a finished product back to us. 61% is, in fact, sold to Canada and Mexico, but not for the reasons you surmise."

Well, mmadderom, maybe you have a better source than I do. I was basing my claim on this: "Does the U.S. export oil? Surprisingly, yes - but the amount is trivial, about 20,000 barrels per day vs. our 10,000,000 and more b/d imports. All exported crude goes to Canada, where it is likely refined and sent back as gasoline."

http://www.gravmag.com...

"Grants are a far cry different from R&D. And I think you know it."

Perhaps, but giving grants to oil industries makes it much harder for emerging alternatives to compete. You say the government shouldn't be paying for R&D of new energy sources? The government gives huge sums of money to public universities to do research, whats wrong with the government giving money for researching new energy sources? It is certainly something that would benefit the public in the long run...

"Secondly, the U.S. is the 3rd largest oil producing country and could easily be 1st. (Yeah, we produce FAR more {bout 4 times as much} than Iraq. That war has NOTHING to do with oil"

Ahh, but you see, Iraq has reserves believed to be equal to or greater than that of Saudi Arabia, but their production is low because of instability in the region. One of the main goals of the war is to have Iraq increase its production, to lower the price of oil by increasing the global supply.
Posted by mmadderom 9 years ago
mmadderom
"You don't want the government investing in the R&D of new energy sources, I would agree when they stop giving grants to petrol companies to expand their operations."

Grants are a far cry different from R&D. And I think you know it.
Posted by mmadderom 9 years ago
mmadderom
Misinformed?

You are relying on naysayers with the claim we'd go dry within a decade.

For starters, we only import about 58% of our oil.

Secondly, the U.S. is the 3rd largest oil producing country and could easily be 1st. (Yeah, we produce FAR more {bout 4 times as much} than Iraq. That war has NOTHING to do with oil

And, no, it's not just being exported to Canada for refining, in fact, 39% of all exports are going to places such as Japan who have no chance of reselling a finished product back to us. 61% is, in fact, sold to Canada and Mexico, but not for the reasons you surmise.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
Modernmoron... how could you make this a One Round debate with an argument that had so many holes in it? Dude. I'm sorry, but you HELLA LOST.
Posted by HempforVictory 9 years ago
HempforVictory
Oh mmadderom, you are so misinformed...

"This country has the ability to produce FAR more of our own oil than we currently do. "

and if we were to rely solely on domestic reserves, our supply would go dry in a decade.

"We also EXPORT much of the oil we do produce."

No, America is the world's largest importer of oil. We do export some of it...to Canada, so they can refine it for us and send it back here.

"The Government has NO business involving itself in the process, yet tries to regulate technology into existence."

You don't want the government investing in the R&D of new energy sources, I would agree when they stop giving grants to petrol companies to expand their operations. Let the free market be truly free, not just in America, but throughout the world. Let the countries that export oil regulate the supply however is best for them, and let's see how much oil really costs.
Posted by mmadderom 9 years ago
mmadderom
"Dependence on foreign oil" is little more than a left wing talking point. This country has the ability to produce FAR more of our own oil than we currently do. We also EXPORT much of the oil we do produce. Gas companies aren't running this country, free enterprise(and excessive Government regulation) is.

The talking points sound great..."More alternative fuel sources", "Less foreign oil", etc. etc. Where is the research and development going to come from? The private sector. The Government has NO business involving itself in the process, yet tries to regulate technology into existence. Not possible. No, my tax dollars shouldn't be spent chasing rainbows. The Government is not intended to be an R&D firm with unlimited resources.

We have energy efficient autos now. We have had solar heating and cooling available for decades. Wind power is completely functional. So why aren't WE, the consumer, using these things? Cost. Oil is CHEAP compared to the alternatives.

A hybrid car will cost you nearly double what it's combustion engine brother does and isn't perfected yet. Purely electric cars are even more expensive and have very limited ranges. Renewable fuel cells are still mostly theory that have not proven reliable for mass consumption. Fitting a home with solar is incredibly expensive and would take decades to recoup the difference in costs between it and conventional electricity. Ask Teddy Kennedy, one of the biggest spewers of the talking points, why he doesn't want wind mills near his Marthas Vineyard compound.

No matter how many alternatives to oil are devised, unless and until one comes around that is cost effective, can be easily mass produced, and isn't an eyesore it's not marketable anyhow.
7 votes have been placed for this debate. Showing 1 through 7 records.
Vote Placed by C-Mach 9 years ago
C-Mach
ModernmoronScyroneTied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:-Vote Checkmark-3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:03 
Vote Placed by Ethereal 9 years ago
Ethereal
ModernmoronScyroneTied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:Vote Checkmark--3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:30 
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
ModernmoronScyroneTied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:-Vote Checkmark-3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:03 
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
ModernmoronScyroneTied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:-Vote Checkmark-3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:03 
Vote Placed by crabjuicer 9 years ago
crabjuicer
ModernmoronScyroneTied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:-Vote Checkmark-3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:03 
Vote Placed by Rousseau 9 years ago
Rousseau
ModernmoronScyroneTied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:-Vote Checkmark-3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:03 
Vote Placed by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
ModernmoronScyroneTied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:-Vote Checkmark-3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:03