TheOutcast
Rhodesia79

America is a Christian Nation

TheOutcast

Con

First Round is Acceptance.
I challenge that America is, in fact, not a country based on Christian religion.
Rhodesia79

Pro

I shall accept. I will argue that America is a country founded and based on Christian values.
TheOutcast

Con

Yes, the founding fathers might have been Christian, but America itself was based on Freedom of Religion (I believe the constitution mentions something about this. I know it says "separation of church and state".) (this is only the first statement. My next argument will be a tad bit longer)
Rhodesia79

Pro

America was founded by Christians. Even though the constitution says separation of church and state that doesn't mean America shouldn't be based on Christian values. It just meant that the government wasn't going to be ruled by religious leaders or be a theocracy. The nations laws were still taken from the Bible to decide right and wrong. (I take it that this is not the main argument?)
TheOutcast

Con

No, this isn't the main argument, I just don't think it correct by stating all my evidence in the first argument and have nothing to fill the rest out with.
No, the founding fathers were not all Christian. Some of them were, factually, deists (which isn't a form of Christianity, but more a form of agnosticism or atheism). People do not need the bible to give them morals. For instance, I don't need a book to tell me that murder is wrong. If you think about something hard enough you can find the answer out yourself.
I had an entire paragraph typed out but my computer messed up and I forget what the rest said.
Rhodesia79

Pro

I'm sure you did.
Even if they weren't true Christians they still followed the Bible and still classified them self's as Christians. They put laws into effect that were taken from the Bible. These laws still survive today, "like do not murder" a law, and in the Bible. You think you would just come up with right and wrong on your own, but how do you know that? You didn't decide that murder was bad all by your self. It is what the world has told you and the world got it because it was the law. If you go to remote tribes in Africa they will kill someone and then pay for his worth in goats to his family. The founders of this country were Christian and that is the national religion so our laws are formed around it. We are a country with the freedom of religion. So you can pray to whatever God you want to, but should understand that America is a Christian nation with Christian laws. I was going to talk about the sep. of church and state, but the instigator put a 1,000 on so check out comits
Posted by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
Ozzyhead
The founding fathers were not Christian. They were atheist, agnostic, or deist. Although some were originally Christian, they changed their views. I would deduct points from pro because stated something very incorrect
Posted by AnAtheistamongus 2 years ago
AnAtheistamongus
Saying the United States is a "Christian Nation" is a euphemism for a Christian theocracy with evangelical law! Some people just haven't realized "Christian Nation" means Christian state yet.
Posted by AnAtheistamongus 2 years ago
AnAtheistamongus
Our founding father were almost all deists and had disrespect of Christianity and religion in general. I even have quotes. Thomas Jefferson said "Christianity is the most perverted system that has ever shown on man their is not one redeeming feature in out superstition of Christianity and has made one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites" Ben Franklin "lighthouses are more useful than churches" Thomas Paine "All national institutions of churches whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind and monopolize power and profit" I wish I had seen this point in the debate. Also while the constitution does not technically use the claim "separation of church and state" it would still later be used by the supreme court in 1962 when it enforced that teacher forced prayer in public schools was illegal, and government neutrality of religion instead of just congressional neutrality of religion promised in the 1st amendment et cetera. However the phrase was first used by Thomas Jefferson I quote "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."
Posted by Chimera 2 years ago
Chimera
@AKMan

Yes it does, in the Establishment Clause:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion....

And the Free Exercise Clause:

" ... or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Both of which are part of the First Amendment.
Posted by AKMan 2 years ago
AKMan
The Constitution never even mentions "separation of Church and State". In fact, no official national US document does.
Vote Placed by briantheliberal 2 years ago
briantheliberal
TheOutcastRhodesia79Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Although not much effort was put into this debate, Con presented evidence by mentioning the Constitution and was also the only one to present actual facts throughout this entire argument. Pro simply made up claims and attempted to pass them off as factual which is not very logical.
Vote Placed by Migrating_Hacker 2 years ago
Migrating_Hacker
TheOutcastRhodesia79Tied
Reasons for voting decision: k