America is a Christian Nation

I will be taking the position against the thought that my country is a country founded on Christian beliefs. First round is acceptance and any opening thoughts.

Presuming your country is the United States of America. For the sense of simplicity in this debate we will group both Catholics, Mormons and Protestants as Christians.

Spain, France and England, AND the native Americans, were all heavily culturally Influenced by Religion we can believe this because of the popes power over Europe.
We can also observe the influence of Christianity in the judicial department, and executive department, buy both the president and witnesses in court rooms are tradationally sworn in on a Bible. Though there is no law forcing this.

When Alexis de Tocqueville writes his book, "Democracy in America" he frequently mentions the impressive amount of religious Christian devotion which if dis-owning in public can result in onstrasation in a society, or if a witneess in a court room, (Democracy of America) can risk the Jury already deciding the witnesses credability.

My First point is- We can presume that because of the bias of early America that was publicly help and maintained that USA was infact found on Christian Valuves.

Thanks to my opponent for accepting the debate. Here are my main reasons for believing that the United States is not a Christian nation or founded on Christian values.

1. The Constitution does not mention any god or religion

To be clear, the third amendment on the Bill of Rights is the one that excludes the government from making any laws restricting/about religion. Here's the third amendment:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." (

2. Treaty of Tripoli

To be more specific, Article XI (11) of the Treaty of Tripoli, which states:
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries." (
The Treaty of Tripoli was an offering of peace between the United States and Tripolitania. It was written by John Adams, approved by Congress, and signed in Algeria for a third party witness.

3. The United States has no official religion

Obviously, if the USA was founded on Christian values, its official religion would be Christianity.

I feel that this is enough evidence to safely say that the USA is not a Christian nation. I hand the debate over to my opponent.

Pro defines nation as follows.
a large body of people, associated with a particular territory, that is sufficiently conscious of its unity to seek or to possess a government peculiarly its own: The president spoke to the nation about the new tax.
2. the territory or country itself: the nations of Central America.
3. a member tribe of an American Indian confederation.
4. an aggregation of persons of the same ethnic family, often speaking the same language or cognate languages. defines government as follows.
1. the political direction and control exercised over the actions of the members, citizens, or inhabitants of communities, societies, and states; direction of the affairs of a state, community, etc.; political administration: Government is necessary to the existence of civilized society.
2. the form or system of rule by which a state, community, etc., is governed: monarchical government; episcopal government.
3. the governing body of persons in a state, community, etc.; administration.
4. a branch or service of the supreme authority of a state or nation, taken as representing the whole: a dam built by the government.
5. a. the particular group of persons forming the cabinet at any given time: The prime minister has formed a new government.
b. the parliament along with the cabinet: The government has fallen.

It is reasonable to suggest that you are confusing the two as one. While yes, they are inter-related, one is dependant and the other is co-dependant. For example, I will agree halfway and say "We do not have a Christian government". But A nation is not made up of governments, a nation exists only because of it's people. A nation can exist (though I'm not sure how well) with out a government, but a government cannot exist without a nation, and a nation is a collection of people.

By reading a sensus, conducted Finke and Starke

We can observe that Christianity was extremely popular among the people during the founding america and some would even say today. We can even observe the Christian influence had in the early US government simply by reciting the origianl pledge of allegiance
though it does not specify which "god" because that woudl be illeagle for the government to do. But not the nation as the nation is the people.

I really don't think that there were any misconceptions about the title of this debate; yes, by definition, a country and a nation are not the same thing, but in the first round I clearly use the word country. I apologize for any confusion.

For the popularity of Christianity in the 18th century in the United States, I don't see how it affects what's written in the Constitution. Also, the "original pledge" was as follows:
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." (
I don't see any Christian influence there.

My opponent has failed to present any new arguments or refute any points I have made. I await either of these.

zachlogan forfeited this round.

As I was reminded by a potential voter, I made a mistake. It's not the third amendment, it's the first. I apologize, the website said "Article Three" and I incorrectly assumed it was the third amendment. I also remind that same potential voter that you don't vote on rebuttals made by you. You vote based on the arguments put forward by the debaters. Anyway, I extend my arguments.

zachlogan forfeited this round.
Posted by XionChan 2 years ago
Yes. I read the arguments. Just because I only C/P'd a small bit, doesn't mean I based it off of what you said.
Posted by patrick967 2 years ago
Not a rebuttal of what I said*
Posted by patrick967 2 years ago
@XionChan You're supposed to vote off of the arguments given, not what I said.
Posted by barnesec 2 years ago
Conservatives will tell you the govt is bloated, corrupt, inefficient, and a threat to liberty. Then they'll tell you, it should be in charge of morality, religion, and eternal salvation.
Posted by barnesec 2 years ago
James Madison in Federalist #10:
"...the great danger in repbulics is that the majority will not respect the rights of minority"

Thomas Jefferson's inaugural address:
"All, too, twill bear in mind this sacred rpinciple, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate which would be oppression."

3 things on Jefferson's tombstone:
Author of the Declaration of American Independence
of the Statute of Virginia for religious freedom
& Father of the University of Virginia
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
My opinion:
Dpe Jure United States = secular
De Facto United States = Christian
Posted by XionChan 2 years ago
"1. The Constitution does not mention any god or religion

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." ("

This was the First Amendment, not the Third, and it was created to ensure that the situation that they tried to escape from was to never again happen.
(Incidentally, the Third Amendment was the prohibition of quartering.)
Also, the founding fathers intended that the Constitution and the Declaration were to be coupled, not read as separate documents.
The Declaration specifically states:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
The Creator to the Christian religion, is, obviously, God.
They also note, "with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence."
Also, credit from
"`Religion played a major role in the American Revolution by offering a moral sanction for opposition to the British--an assurance to the average American that revolution was justified in the sight of God. As a recent scholar has observed, "by turning colonial resistance into a righteous cause, and by crying the message to all ranks in all parts of the colonies, ministers did the work of secular radicalism and did it better.'"

Pro gets my vote.
Posted by KhalifV 2 years ago
con wins on Treaty Of Tripoli
Posted by discomfiting 2 years ago
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago