Toxifrost
ASocraticAlpaca

America is a Christian Nation

Toxifrost

Toxifrost

Con

In this debate I will argue against the claims that America is or was founded as a Christian nation. Pro will thereby argue for those same claims. I am looking forward to a constructive discussion and good luck to pro.

Christian: believing in, or belonging to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ

Debate format
Round 1: Acceptance
Rounds 2-4: Arguments and rebuttals.
Round 5: Rebuttals only no new arguments and closing statements.
ASocraticAlpaca

Pro

Hello! I am so excited for this debate, and want to give "Props" to Pro for starting what I hope to be, a great debate.
Some quick background info: I, as an atheist stand with the instigator's view on this matter,but the challenge this debate will bring is well worth the time and my acceptance.
I will prove that, though not an official theocracy, The United States political system is innately intertwined with the faith of the population majority(in this case Christianity). Furthermore I will show how a democratic style of government can,and will, be subject to religious influence in the legislation proposed,passed, and repealed.
I look forward to an honest and open conversation.
-Ivan
Toxifrost

Con

Faulty Start
Before I get into any actual arguments I'd like to point out that a lot of what pro states he is going to argue is uneccesary. It is already common knowledge that democratic systems can be swayed by personal biases such as religion, it is also common knowledge that many politicians have strong ties to religion and religious organizations however both of these points are irrelevant to the question of does the US belong to the religion of Christianity. But I digress.

Founding Fathers
Many claim that our founding fathers build this nation on Christian values. The founding fathers must have been pretty stark Christians then right? No, the majority of the founding fathers actually did not follow Christianity and were deists some, such as Thomas Jefferson, going so far on his opinions of religion that he is widely thought of to be the first pseudo-atheist, this is not true however as he was in fact a deist. The founding fathers also never included any sort of reference to Christianity in any of our founding documents such as the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

John Adams goes so far to say in the Treaty of Tripoli (Tripoli being a muslim state at the time) that "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen." Does this not clearly state that the founding fathers did not set up this country on Christian values and did not want the country affiliated with Christianity?

In God We Trust
Now some might argue that our government has religious ties all over the place specifically in our money and in our pledge of allegiance. Surely this proves that the US was founded as a Christian nation; right? Wrong again.

The pledge of allegiance was written by Francis Bellamy in 1892. The original pledge went as follows: "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." However throughout the years we can see that the pledge has been changes quite a bit. In 1923 a new phrase was added to the pledge to make it more suit America: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." The pledge was changed again in 1954 as urged by President Eisenhower to separate us from those "godless commies". The pledge included the words" under god" and the pledge has remained unchanged to this very day. Through this we can see that the pledge was not meant to solidify the US as a Christian nation but as a propoganda tactic in the midst of a nation wide panic.

"In God We Trust" follows a similair song and dance. The motto "In God We Trust" was first minted in 1864 on the two cent coins after being requested by a Minister. Essentially the explaination for this is as simple as the fact that organized religon was making a huge comeback at the time and many people believed that the government should take part. Teddy Roosevelt however opposed this being printed on money as he believed it violated the separation of church and state. He kind of had a point didn't he?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
http://www.alternet.org...
http://rationalwiki.org...
http://infidels.org...
http://www.ushistory.org...
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com...;
ASocraticAlpaca

Pro

ASocraticAlpaca forfeited this round.
Toxifrost

Con

I extend my arguments.
ASocraticAlpaca

Pro

ASocraticAlpaca forfeited this round.
Toxifrost

Con

I extend my arguments.
ASocraticAlpaca

Pro

ASocraticAlpaca forfeited this round.
Toxifrost

Con

Pro forfeited vote con.
ASocraticAlpaca

Pro

ASocraticAlpaca forfeited this round.
Posted by ASocraticAlpaca 1 year ago
ASocraticAlpaca
By the way, I loved your work on "God is Better than You and Me". Classic!
Posted by ASocraticAlpaca 1 year ago
ASocraticAlpaca
I would however, ask you to cite your sources(As will I), in order to keep evidence unadulterated from bias.And protect the debate from otherwise dismissable arguments.
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
I think you may have an actual debate!
Posted by ASocraticAlpaca 1 year ago
ASocraticAlpaca
I am aware I am pro. and I was not planning on using evidence that is biased or circumstantial.
That being out of the way, I await your first argument.
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Toxifrost
Um....just a quick couple of things.
1. You're pro and I'm con on this matter. I think you may have gotten it mixed up a little. No biggie
2. The fact that a democratic system can be swayed by personal biases such as religion is kinda common sense and is well established but is really irrelevant to the topic of whether America is a Christian nation such as Argentina, Vatican City, Scotland, England, ect.
Posted by ASocraticAlpaca 1 year ago
ASocraticAlpaca
Hahaha I wont :)
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Toxifrost
Hopefully this guy doesn't just leave the site like my last try at this debate
Posted by poison5200 1 year ago
poison5200
I would challenge this, but there is the simple fact that it is not a Christian Nation. Sure, it may be the dominate religion, but America has freedom of religion, meaning that there is no religion for the nation.
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Toxifrost
Well 99% of Republicans think it is so ya know....laugh at them
Posted by themoongirl 1 year ago
themoongirl
Ha Ha!!! I am laughing soooo hard right now. America a Christian Nation??? That is priceless. Before a pro accepts this debate, think of all the murder we have, Miley Cyrus, and Justin Bieber
Vote Placed by ClashnBoom 1 year ago
ClashnBoom
ToxifrostASocraticAlpacaTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF and Con had sources.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
ToxifrostASocraticAlpacaTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff