Randomknowledge
wingnut2280

America is a Country of Instant Gratification

Randomknowledge

Pro

As I like to keep my opening arguments short, as many readers of my debates will know, that fact is no different from this one.

The title is pretty self-explanatory, my opponent only has to argue that "America is not a country of Instant Gratification."

Thank you and I await my acceptants response.
wingnut2280

Con

While I must admit that most people's focus is short-sighted, that doesn't mean that gratification is sincere. That is to say, this country pays the individual who plans for the future and doesn't give in to the temptation of instant gratification. We see this in instances like planning for retirement and others.

There is a temptation and availability to instant gratification in this country, but I would argue that it isn't truely gratifying.
Randomknowledge

Pro

Temptation? Availablity? yes. But there is also much much more.

Take into consideration the belt system for most martial arts studios in the country. They have about 10-12 belts, am I right? In Japan, more specifically Okinawa, you remain a white belt for a few years before then moving to brown to continue tyour instruction.

Take fast food: People cant wait for their meals so they cam up with the
Drive Through.

And possibly the biggest "shortcut" out there is the Microwave. bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Ding! You meal is done, all you have to do is EAT IT ON THE GO.

Instant Gratification is not just easy and acceptable, we have lives built around it. Your respsonse was worded quite confusingly, but I managed to decipher it. I leave you with a quoted passage from an article about Instant Gratification in America. Link will follow:

"Perhaps Ralph Waldo Emerson said it best 150 years ago when he excoriated "this shallow Americanism, with its passion for sudden success." And Americans' appetite for immediate gratification has only accelerated since then, to the point where today they gorge on fast food, sound bites, and one-liners. They breathe, move, think, and take in everything amid a culture of fast and faster.
Americans must move beyond immediate gratification and the search for instant victory or defeat. The US military victory over Iraq will not be a success if, as Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak predicted, "it spawns a hundred more bin Ladens." The US might do well to heed the advice a Viennese newspaper gave more than 125 years ago to the Prussians, who'd just as easily triumphed over France: "Victory is a poor adviser, and nations tend to slip on the blood they have shed.""

http://www.csmonitor.com...
wingnut2280

Con

Your argument is more of one for conveniences. That isn't a matter of instant gratification, but ease. What is the problem with cooking faster or getting our information more quickly?

While instant gratification can be problematic as a mindset or paradigm, you don't answer my argument. Instant gratification is just that. It lacks long-term vision, which is necessary in this country. Talk to any self-made millionaire, with the exception of celebrities. They all faced trials and tribulations, yet remained disciplined to accomplish their goals in the long run. Conversely, each giant failure is a result of burning out to quickly or focusing on the here and now.

Sure, we get things faster and more conviently than ever, but that isn't a problem, thats a good thing. The only problem is short-sightedness, which our country definately doesn't reward.

Next time, don't copy and paste an article as your argument please. I don't want to debate Jules Lobel from the Christian Science Monitor.
Randomknowledge

Pro

Hello again, wingnut, and as before your argument is not worded as simply as desired. Nevertheless, we will move on.

You said:

"While instant gratification can be problematic as a mindset or paradigm, you don't answer my argument. Instant gratification is just that. It lacks long-term vision, which is necessary in this country. Talk to any self-made millionaire, with the exception of celebrities. They all faced trials and tribulations, yet remained disciplined to accomplish their goals in the long run. Conversely, each giant failure is a result of burning out to quickly or focusing on the here and now."

Yes, famous people and millionares have taken the long and hard road, but they earned it and each trial and tribulations they searched for that instant gratification as they climbed the ladder to success.

You, my good friend, did not refute my argument about the changing of the belt system in martial arts, so I assume you gave that argument to me.

The people you mention did have a hard time, but the massive satisfaction at the end of the road was well worth it.

The point I was trying to make with the convenience was that we need to have instant gratification, so conveniences help with that.

Thank you and I await your rebuttal.
wingnut2280

Con

Ok, me sorry for using big words and commas.

Anyway...

Your right, I dodged that argument. I will concede that Japan has a longer martial arts system than America. Tousche!

You don't answer any of my arguments and concede many of them.

My point is that success in this country is accomplished by long term discipline and foresight. You agree with me here! Being prepared and responsible is much more beneficial than looking at the short term. To the contrary, successful people commonly make choices that are detrimental in the short term to accomplish long term gains. This proves that our country rewards people with foresight, making instant gratification not gratifying.

Yes, people do give into the short term tempations, but that doesn't mean we reward them as a country. People turn out fat if they give in to instant gratification of fast food, or poor if they give in and overspend on immediacies.

Sure, we have conveniences like microwaves and the internet. I don't get any reason why this is bad. I think getting things faster and easier is a good thing. Thats not instant gratification, just convenience. Would you have me drag my laundry to the local swimmin hole and wash it with a metal washboard?

In sum, instant gratification is not gratifying. Sure, we have conveniences in this country, but those aren't synonymous with gratification. People who desire short term gains get punished for it, while people with discipline and foresight are rewarded. This shows that instant gratification isn't gratifying at all.
Posted by wingnut2280 9 years ago
wingnut2280
I wish everyone gave RFD's like that when they voted. Thank you.
Posted by Kleptin 9 years ago
Kleptin
I give my vote to Con. He addressed most of pro's arguments and made the point of convenience being different from gratification.

Pro did try to counter by saying that the conveniences were an outgrowth of our need for instant gratification, but I find that this is a poor argument since Con's argument of long term success can be applied here.

We heat our food quickly to eat on the go so we can get to work and work longer because we want to give the impression of productivity so we can get a promotion etc.

The belt changing system was a poor example as well, since it is too obscure and minimal a part of either culture to be a representation of the general culture.
Posted by DucoNihilum 9 years ago
DucoNihilum
I really don't understand how some people can have such a problem with all of our lives getting better.
Vote Placed by wooferalot101 9 years ago
wooferalot101
Randomknowledgewingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by YummyYummCupcake 9 years ago
YummyYummCupcake
Randomknowledgewingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by DucoNihilum 9 years ago
DucoNihilum
Randomknowledgewingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by Kleptin 9 years ago
Kleptin
Randomknowledgewingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by eyeleapy 9 years ago
eyeleapy
Randomknowledgewingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by mynameisjonas 9 years ago
mynameisjonas
Randomknowledgewingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by cliffsofdover 9 years ago
cliffsofdover
Randomknowledgewingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
Randomknowledgewingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
Randomknowledgewingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
Randomknowledgewingnut2280Tied