Cameron16
brianjustin3709

America is not the greatest country in the world

Cameron16
Started: 7/10/2015 Category: Places-Travel

Cameron16

Pro

Hi all,
This is an argument on whether the USA is or is not the greatest country in the world. This debate will consist of 4 rounds. If anyone would like to challenge me in this debate please just feel free to join and make your point. I want everyone to also know that this is obviously opinion based but with facts to back the opinion up. Have fun.
brianjustin3709

Con

Well Thank You for Making this Debate.
But I think that America is better than other countries.
Good luck
Cameron16

Pro

America is not the greatest country in the world.

A lot of people say that America is the greatest country in the world because we have freedom. Well we aren't the only country in the world with freedom. Canada has freedom. Japan has freedom. The UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Australia, Belgium has freedom. Out of the 207 sovereign states in the world, about 180 of them have freedom.

There is also no statement in writing by top power officials that says America is the greatest country in the world. We're 45th in literacy, 35th in math, 27th in science, 41st in life expectancy, 168th in infant mortality, and 3rd in labor force. We lead the world in only 2 categories: number of adults who believe angels are real and defense spending.
brianjustin3709

Con

brianjustin3709 forfeited this round.
Cameron16

Pro

:D vote for pro
brianjustin3709

Con

America is the best country in the world because it has equal laws for everyone and also gay marriage.
Cameron16

Pro

Canada. Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Greenland, Finland, France, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, part of Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, the UK, and Uruguay have had gay marriage a whole lot longer than the USA. Also Canada's murder rate is lower than the USA's. Canada murder rate: 233 for every 100,000. USA murder rate: 474 for every 100,000.

The USA is not a perfect country. The gas has rose too much over the last few decades and their education doesn't even compare to that of Finland or Hong Kong. Both of which have freedom of religion just like the USA. Also Finland has been ranked above-average among the world's countries in democracy, press freedom, and human development. Also there's no homework in Finland. You can't say that about the USA.

The USA struggles behind other countries greatly.
brianjustin3709

Con

Rebuttals

1. Pro copy pasted when i made my own arguements. Even though my arguements are weaker he is cheating. Also he didn't write his sources.
2. What is freedom? Please explain

Dedicated to safe traffic laws

Many countries have not have safe traffic laws when America has

We know our world history

America know their own history when many countries don't know their own history.
Posted by CMR190 1 year ago
CMR190
Lol I love that he referenced the Newsroom. As Con has argued, they are right. If you turn off the blinders you will see that the US has lagged behind other countries. I may love this country but it isn't the best country.
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
Con's forfieture saved Pro from losing the debate entirely (from the plagarism).
Posted by Brianpark1025 2 years ago
Brianpark1025
Although con had weaker arguments, pro copied and pasted. Therefore, I think that Con should win.
Posted by evanjfarrar 2 years ago
evanjfarrar
Pro, I would recommend defining what your version of 'freedom' is, or else it is extremely challenging to form a rebuttal or support your own arguments further.
Posted by Cameron16 2 years ago
Cameron16
Ok so for anyone else who wants to tell me what I quoted, I already know. I forgot to cite my evidence and I probably shouldn't have I will take the blame for that, but the reason I used the quote from the newsroom is because it supports my argument highly. Also the numbers that I used aren't the same ones they used in the newsroom
Posted by GeneticModification 2 years ago
GeneticModification
Pro, you're literally just quoting the Newsroom. It's fine to cite those CIA World Factbook statistics, but seriously...you just said exactly what the guy says, right down to the wording on "number of people who believe in angels." At least paraphrase!
Posted by Donderpants 2 years ago
Donderpants
The person whose correct is Pro, bu on this site it's supposed to just be who presents their argument best, so could go either way.
Posted by Cameron16 2 years ago
Cameron16
I probably should've cited my evidence from the show that made that argument but my point still stands
Posted by bballcrook21 2 years ago
bballcrook21
Cameron16, do not plagiarize! Make your own arguments, do not copy from a TV show! Come on now.
Vote Placed by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
Cameron16brianjustin3709Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Aside from Con's forfieture, he lists things that supposedly make the US the best country in the world, including the political and civil liberties. Pro correctly rebuts this point by stating several countries that have equal if not more liberties by Con. In the Last round Con makes bare assertions such as, Americans know their history and world history well (which many would disagree with). This assertion is not backed up by any statistics and is not common knowledge (unlike Pro's list of countries that have more freedom than the USA). Both debaters need to use sources. I will narrowly award conduct to Con despite his forfieture due to plagirsm by Pro.