America is on a social and economic death spiral

I believe that the 67 trillion dollars in total debt and the 97 trillion in unfunded liabilities are damaging the American economy a long with the Federal Reserve, who has a leverage of 77-1; prior to our crisis the leverage was 42-1. There is no possible way the FED can get out of this situation as they cannot lower interest rates anymore, meaning they have hit "Game Over."
I also believe society in America is about to breakdown due to race issues, sexual orientation issues, religious issues, class differences, and all of the bigotry involved with ideological differences. "A house divided against itself cannot stand." -Abraham Lincoln. This I feel is a very important quote to view in context relative to times today. Political Correctness has driven our once unified nation apart in every way imaginable down to each individual, and nobody has a rationalized debate about the issues we have because nobody listens to each other.
I feel like this unsound social structure and our very unstable economy is on a death-spiral that is far too late to get out of, and will ultimately end America's glory in a similar way to both the British and Roman empires.
I would love to have a rational and civil debate with an individual who is able to analyze and critically think unlike most of America today. I live in America and would like to have a good time debating somebody who disagrees with the facts and opinions I have presented. Please don't be vile or aggressive, this is only a discussion of opinions and it should be fun :)

Thank you Pro for your initial statements, and for starting this debate.

I'll explain my arguments in greater depth in the following rounds, but here are some of my main points:

(1) America's economy is the most powerful and innovative in the world
(2) America's civil society is embedded with the right values and principles
(3) We are doing better than our counterparts (economically, environmentally, socially, politically)
(4) We have reason to be optimistic for our future

I somewhat agree with your point Pro, America has been facing problems in our recent history. I disagree though that we are on a "death spiral". We have plenty of potential to heal the problems we face and to usher in a new age of hope and progress.

I'll let you delineate further in the following rounds. Let us go!

I would like facts presented to support your argument please; it seems to be bias due to "American exceptionalism".

In this round I will argue that America is NOT on a “social and economic death spiral”.

I will also like to a draw a contrast with America compared with previous Great Nations, such as Imperial Rome, the British Empire, and the Ottoman Empire.

C1: America has a Powerful Economy

The United States has the world’s largest economy at over $17 trillion. The breadth of our national wealth also has the broadest width – we deliver the highest prosperity and the highest standard of living to the most people on earth. At a GDP per capita of more than $48,000, we significantly outsize China ($8,400) and Russia ($21,000) [3]. Furthermore, the United States has/ is:

• The world’s largest middle class
  • The world’s largest industrial base
  • The world’s largest exporter

About 80% of global trade is conducted with U.S. dollars [5]. This isn’t nearly as close as the Euro or the Chinese yuan.

The United States has also grown much faster than the Eurozone, which indicates our economic vitality [6].

C2: America is Powerful Militarily

The United States is the most generous nation in the world when it comes to foreign aid. We are investing in our soft power, and our remarkable commitment to economic growth abroad is a testament to our economic vitality at home. [1]

Foreign Aid (Overseas development assistance):

We also have the most advanced military hardware. Whether it comes to our infantry, main battle tanks, or our superior airforce, we trump any potential adversaries [2].

The Russian military is antiquated, as was evident in its 2008 invasion of Georgia. The Chinese military primarily relies on relics of the Cold War itself. We are the leader of the free world and this hasn’t changed in recent years.

C3: America has a sound Government

The United States is a liberal democracy. People have broad political rights and civil liberties. People are free to run for political office, to vote, to live their lives freely. Contrast this to nations which have suffered decline, where the rights of the people have fallen.

We also have a vibrant and dynamic civil society. We have a flurry of institutions that are the makeup of American life, whether it is religious groups, civic organizations, sports activities, or charities.

C4: The United States is Growing

Not only our economy is developing, but our population is as well. Unlike many European nations and Japan, our population is continually rising. More people are entering the United States than leaving [4]. If we were facing systematic decline, we would most likely not see this phenomenon.

C5: America has the right values

The people of America have the values and principles that will stave off decline. By and large, the vast majority of Americans believe in the ideas of hard work, savings, thrift, individualism, freedom, and opportunity. We have been able to confront massive challenges before, whether it is the American Civil War, slavery, Nazi Germany, the War on Terrorism, Jim Crow, or the Great Depression.

The United States is continuing to grow as a nation. Our economy is becoming more dynamic and innovative, and our firms lead the world in cutting-edge technology. Our population is continuing to increase – paving an exception to the rest of the developing world. We have a powerful military, and we have tremendous influence abroad. The fabric of American life is also robust, as the people of our country have the values and principles that make America strong and vibrant. We also have a huge civil society that accompanies the largest middle class in the world. We are stronger today than we were several years ago, and the problems the United States faces are smaller than challenges we have faced before. Thank you.

[1] (

[2] (

[3] (

[4] (

[5] (

[6] (

MrFreeThinker forfeited this round.

I extend my arguments.

MrFreeThinker forfeited this round.

Carry on.

MrFreeThinker forfeited this round.

Thanks for reading guys.
Posted by MrFreeThinker 1 year ago
Sure thing Contra! I have been wanting to debate this issue for a long time and I would be obliged to have you accept this debate!
Posted by Contra 1 year ago
May I accept this debate?
Posted by Alpha3141 1 year ago
Well, time to move to Sweden
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture