DerKing
Ajab

America is one of the Worst Countries in the World

DerKing

Pro

I wish to debate you Ajab. I liked your points and thought I could actually debate you, instead of that troll debate. Ill even give you an extra round.
Ajab

Con

As it is said: Onus probandi incumbit ei qui dicit, non ei qui negat.
The burden of proof, Sir, is on you. Also let us remind you that you as the proposition must give the definition and show how America fulfils the criterion.
Good luck Sir!
DerKing

Pro

DerKing forfeited this round.
Ajab

Con

Extend,
I hope my opponent is well.
DerKing

Pro

America, loved by it's citizens, hated by most everybody else. For the following three reasons, America IS one of the worst countries in the world.

Firstly, America has a horrible education system. According to [1], America is ranked 29th in mathematics, 20th in reading, and 23rd in science. We are the richest country in the world, yet we cannot afford to educate our children? Though many people just attribute this to common, but false, asian stereotypes [2], countries like Lichtenstein, Estonia, Switzerland, and the Netherlands all ranked above the United States as well. The key to a countries future is its children, and although 29th in math doesn't seem to bad, compared to the modern world, it is rock dumb. Even the Guardian, a major news company itself, admits that poor education can lead to a heavy reliance on the news, and this can lead to extreme stereotypes and racism[3], another major problem in the United States today.

Secondly, Decaying infrastructure characterizes many U.S. cities and towns. According to [4], we haven't invested much in infrastructure in 60 years. Take, for example our airports, which are filthy and disgusting. They have been repeatedly ranked in the ten worst airports in the world according to many polls and lists, such as CNN, and Reuters. The American Society of Civil Engineers in a recent report indicates that infrastructure deficiencies add $97R02;R02;billion a year to the cost of operating vehicles and result in travel delays that cost $32R02;billion. And while the United States lets its infrastructure rot, other countries like Germany, Russia, China, and Japan have spent increasing amounts on their infrastructure. How can we be a good country when we have such bad infrastructure?

[1]http://www.npr.org...
[2]http://www.natcom.org...
[3]http://www.theguardian.com...
[4]http://www.washingtonpost.com...

Also, I would like to thank my opponent. I have been sick for the past two days, and I just got on hoping I could post the round in time. Unfortunately I could not.
Ajab

Con

I write this, Sir, in utmost pain, with a branula in my hand, full of Gravinate, Flagel, and Taravid.
I too have a strong fever, so I hope you will excuse me if I my answer is not exceptionally well.

Firstly as my opponent the Proposition has not given the definitions, I now gain the right to establish the definitions in this debate.
1. Let America refer to the Republic of the United States of America,
2. Let worst refer to most severely bad, and country refer to a sovereign land with it's own constitution.
3. Let "one of the worst countries" refer to (as the prop failed to define, I have the right to) the ten most severely bad countries, which refers to infrastructure, morality, human rights, levels of education, lifestyle, levels of corruption, tolerance, international disdain.

Now let me, keeping in mind the above definitions, rebut the points of my opponent:
1. I believe that firstly instead of going by untrustworthy statistics we should look at the Education Index published by the United Nations. I do not believe you will find a better source. The United States comes at number 21 with a 0.968 not far behind from New Zealand, which is at 0.993. The difference is only 0.025. Now compare that with with Niger, at 0.282 and a difference of 0.686 with the United States of America and a difference of 0.711 with New Zealand. Other countries at the bottom include: Burkina Faso at 0.301, Mali at 0.331, even India one of the leaders is at 0.643. Even China the economic giant is at number 83. So it is obvious that taking population into consideration, the United States of America is most certainly not one of the worst countries based on education. Of the permanent countries in the United Nations only France equals the education index of the United States of America. With the United Kingdom at 31, Germany at 33 (Germany is one of the P5+1 countries), Russia at 43 (I have already mentioned China). So you see in no way does your argument stand.
[1]http://en.wikipedia.org...

2. As for your argument from infrastructure, the United States of America is at 5.8 which is only 1.0 less than Switzerland which is ranked at 1 with 6.8. Do take account of size and population, In any case the "worst" would be considered as Bosnia and Herzegovina at 2.0 or Angolia at 2.2. India is at only 3.6, as is Russia, Israel at 4.9, United Kingdom at 5.3 and while granted Japan is higher it is only so by 0.2. So as to stating that America is one of the worst countries from the statistical perspective you have chosen to argue, you have failed.

As the onus probandi was on you, and you have failed to show it, I believe the debate falls in my favour. While it was not neccessary to provide a counter-argument I would have liked to do so, but as I said I am in much pain.

I pray that you and I both get better soon,
Godspeed on your reply,
Ajab
DerKing

Pro

My opponent defined 'America', 'worst', and 'one of the worst'. Because they do not drastically help my opponent, I agree with them, but I have the right to define some things he did not, and clarify one of Con's definitions. For 'one of the worst', Con states "which refers to" and I interpret/clarify that to mean weighted equally, the average ranking of the countries.... Levels of corruption and international disdain shall have the country with the least of each at the top. Now I will define sovereign as not claimed by any outside state, person, or organization.

To refute Con's argument, he provided 1 source to my four, and after claiming to give a more reliable source, he gave wikipedia, which is crowd edited. He could of gotten on to wikipedia and written those facts himself. He also misread my argument. I gave China, Russia, and Germany as examples for infrastructure, but he only refuted those in education. Furthermore he pretty much agreed with me as his ranking for education was almost identical to mine. He gave numbers for infrastructure, but he never said what those numbers were, and because of that, my argument stands. As for "UN education index," if you go to the United Nations official website for human development [1], you will see that none of the numbers he gave are valid and do not make sense. Because he gave absolutely no true evidence as I have proven, he has still not refuted my arguments, nor has he given any of his own.

Back to my argument. For all the categories we have not talked about so far, America ranks extremely poorly in all of them. Let me show you how in a list.

Morality - How can we even consider America a place of morals? Even African countries like Rowanda passed highly moral laws, unlike the U.S. In America, people only care about themselves, not anyone else. The only countries with less morals are North Korea, Iraq, Syria, and Somalia. Because the U.S. is ranked 5th to last, that meets the bottom 10 threshold.

Human Rights - Two of the biggest rights are privacy and freedom of speech/press, both of which the U.S. severely lacks. How can we even say we have privacy when the NSA spies on anything and everything we do? And Obama constantly limiting conservative new stories. Because third world countries do not have the technology to do that, the United States is obviously dead last.

Lifestyle - With a obesity rate of 30%, 1/5 of Americans smoke, and 44% having filed for bankruptcy, what kind of horrible lifestyles are Americans living? Ones that put America in the bottom 10 countries.

Level of Corruption - Do you have any idea how many congressmen take bribes? Bribes are not just what get you thrown in jail. Campaign financing is also used to bribe. By that definition, Obama took over a billion dollars in bribes in 2012, and senators take on average 1.3 million. This shows corruption is rampant.

Tolerance - With a history of intolerance, from slavery to immigrant oppression, to quotas, to profiling, America continues to have a level of tolerance in the bottom 10 countries.

International Disdain - America, hated by most muslims, many african countries, most germans, italians, and japanese (because of WW2) and a lot of others, is in fact the most hated country in the world.

Thank you for reading, and please vote in my favor.

[1]http://hdr.undp.org...
Ajab

Con

Ajab forfeited this round.
Posted by DerKing 3 years ago
DerKing
Why is it that no one ever votes on my debates. I vote on plenty of others.
Posted by DerKing 3 years ago
DerKing
I don't want it to affect voting, so if you allow PMs I will reply to you, otherwise it will have to wait.
Posted by Ajab 3 years ago
Ajab
I am sorry this time I became ill. I guess we have both forfeited once. But I think the voters should keep in mind that my wikipedia source is a direct copy/paste of the UN's own published resources. And they were from 2012, they are officially published every 5 years. In any case according to your source America is even higher. You give no evidence for your other claims. I mean in morality America is lower than Rowanda? Do you know what happened in Rowanda, Sir? Massive Genocide. You are forgetting Korea, Iran, half of Africa where in villages people would eat you. Lowest morality, seriously? One has free rights, people are allowed to speak their minds, no wrongful arrests, equality before the law. Have you ever been to America? Same for human rights, people get food, water, shelter, education. Ever come to Pakistan where I live and then tell me America has the worst human rights...?!? I would so like to post my counter. Damn thiss illness