Akemi_Loli_Mokoto
smartyskirt

America is the best country in the world

smartyskirt

Akemi_Loli_Mokoto

Con

I have only ONE request: Please only take this debate if you are a patriotic american that believe strongly that the US is the best, and be prepared to give me a reason why it is.

Ok, I've had this debate once before on this site, and won, but I'm hoping to get a better challenge. I believe america is NOT the best country in the world. Not only do I believe it, I KNOW it. What makes america the greatest? Someone tell me. Prove me wrong.
smartyskirt

Pro

The resolution is that America is the best country.
I maintain that it is the best country primarily bec. of its values,and positive influence. As well as, success in all areas, including; financial, militarily, technology, and science.
My opponent has not yet provided another country to compare. I presume it will be one of the 5 super powers, but I will wait till he presents his country then show why America is at least as good.
Akemi_Loli_Mokoto

Con

To me: Japan is the best country in the world. It is an economic powerhouse, it has the lowest crime rate of any developed nation, it is viewed in a positive light by every country(diplomatically), except for China and North Korea, it's got a low population of fat people, I could go on.

Factually: Finland is the best country in the world according to Newsweek(http://www.thedailybeast.com...)

Now you said the US is the best because of it's values? What values? Positive influence? The US isn't alone in positive influence. Nothing special.

Financial? The US has the worlds highest debt. It's the equivalent of a rich person having nearly as much debt as he as money. Making that person a failure in the financial sector. And if money makes a country the best, China must be second best. Huh?

Let's take a look at america's GDP: It's the highest in the world. But its GDP(per capita) is 13th.

Military? The US has a lot of weapons, but China and India has more military personnel. There is that pesky China again.

Tech? Japan and Finland have pioneered in that sector as well.

Science? HAHAHAHA! The US is lagging behind other nations in that subject and math. (I'm sure you already knew this)

Now lets look at the reality: The United States has the most fat people. And NO that isn't a sign of having a lot of money, because Mexico is right behind the US. (http://www.nationmaster.com...)

America has the most crimes out of 82 countries. (http://www.nationmaster.com...)

Come on, please tell me how the US is the best in the world. It can't be it's unstable and debt filled economy. It can't be it's fat crime committing people. It can't be it's failing educational system which lags behind many countries. So what else is there?
smartyskirt

Pro

Thank you for such a great topic this will be fun.
First I think it is obvious that America is on the way down. However, "the best" is not based on the future of a country but rather the past and present. For example the Yankees are arguably the best sports team bec. They have the most impressive past and great current players. If for example the players are older and due to retire or the minor league team is awful we do not say that influences whether the Yankees are the best.

So to with the best country. What is relevant is the countries past and present state not their future.

My opponent says Japan is superior to the USA:
"To me: Japan is the best country in the world. It is an economic powerhouse, it has the lowest crime rate of any developed nation, it is viewed in a positive light by every country (diplomatically), except for China and North Korea..."

His own link shows that the US is superior with regard to Quality of life, economic dynamics, and political environment.

Finland may be the best place for an individual to live. That does not make it the best country. Similar to a sports team may have a very comfortable stadium with lots of entertainment. Or pleasant players that make it enjoyable to be part of the team. If it doesn't win games it isn't the best.

Finland is not a world power they are not very involved in the world nearly to the extent that America is. America is the prime supporter of democracy and freedom worldwide. One of the big 5 which Finland and Japan are not.

America is the best when it comes to money. True they have debt but that is really more of futuristic problem then a current one. China is second best in money but it comes at the price of democracy.

Military: US win hands down. I don't care how many personal you have. In modern war it's about technology which The US leads.

Tech: yes, Japan has also made progress in that area but nowhere close to the U.S...

Science: Yes of course the U.S. is lagging way behind in education. But, that only means they will fall behind in the future. As of now the U.S. still has the top scientists and inventors, even though they are not producing the next generation of intellectuals. But the failing is primarily in the grade schooling. America still has the finest colleges and professors and is attracting the top students from around the world. So in advanced education America is tops.

Health: You make the fallacy of judging health based on the sole factor of weight. What about smoking, drugs, air quality, exercise. Etc. furthermore the fact that a country has many people who lead unhealthy life styles, does not make it a worse country. What is more important is advancement in medicine which America is currently tops.

My opponent says America has most crimes. Let me rephrase that America has the most reported crimes.

One last final point is that America does the most for the betterment of the world. Spreading and defending democracy at home, and around the world. Providing all kinds of assistance, to other nations. Saving lives, and brokering peace.
America has the most positive global impact of any nation. And in the final analysis I think that is most important.
Akemi_Loli_Mokoto

Con

You say it Finland being rated as the best country in the world, doesn't mean it's the best country in the world. But if the US was rated #1, the case would be closed. Now if you look at that newsweek article, Japan is ranked 9th and the US 11th over all. Showing Japan is superior to America.

America is NOT a officially a democracy, it is a constitutional republic. And if we look at the Democracy Index, Norway is the closest to a perfect democracy. Finland is #7. Where is the US? 17th. In the Full Democracy but officially it's not actually a democracy. So the US

Lets look at Freedom. According to the 4 different freedom ratings(Freedom House, Economic Freedom, Press Freedom, and Democracy Index, New Zealand and Switzerland have an overall better freedom rating than the US. The US rating is on par with the UK, Uruguay, Sweden, ect... So The US isn't the most free country in the world. Also the US has banned many books and movies, and they censor TV and Radio, something Japan does NOT do on a government level.

Military: I'll bet my left nut that if the US had more people but less weapons, you'd say "There are power in numbers". And you can deny it all you want, but we will not know for sure until that day comes.

Tech: Lets look at the Tech Index- the US is #1 with a rating of 6.24, but Taiwan is extremely close behind with a 6.04, and Japan with a 5.68. I'd say that's pretty close, wouldn't you Little Miss no statistics? Now Look at the Technological Achievements: FINLAND is #1 with a .74. The US is #2 with a .73. Japan is tied for 3rd with a .70. You see how close they are?

You have no evidence or stats to say other countries will fall behind the US in the future in terms of education. None, it's all opinion and no fact. Inventors? According to Japan's MITI(The Japanese Equivalent of the Department of Trade and Industy), the country with the most inventions is Great Britain. And Just so you know, there is no bias there because they rated their own country 3rd.

Continuing on that topic, The US is ranked 14th in Scientific Literacy according to the OECD in 2000(old I know), so I don't know who told you the US has the best scientist when all of us who do research know that's a load of crap.

Health: I don't see any statistics or links to support that litte advancement in medicine claim of yours. But I'll play along and say the US has done the most: The country has a severe obesity issue that is only rising. So that health crap isn't really something to be proud of when your people are dropping in droves from hearth disease and what not.

Crime: No, it's the country with the most crime. According to the UN International Crime Victims' Survey, New Zealand has the most reports of crime. The US is 7th.

As for your final point: According to the UNDP, Human Development Report 1998 (Oxford University Press, Oxford 1998), Denmark has committed more of it's money to international aid than the US.

In the next round, it would be LOVELY to hear statistics and their sources instead of baseless opinions that aren't supported by facts studies.

In closing I have supplied facts that can be found on Google. The American's think they are number one but fail to prove it with facts, but with only what they hear or think. The US is failing in Education, it's economy is in the shitter and getting deeper in the "good" stuff, it censors crap, and it has a very serious privacy issue...OH, DIDN'T I TELL YOU? Damn, Well, according to Privacy International, the US is classified as a "Endemic surveillance societies" which is in the same category as CHINA! The Company is UK-based, and before you think there is bias, they gave their own country an even worse rating but in the same category. I've said what I need to say. Kampai! ^__^
smartyskirt

Pro

I have taken this debate, out of gratitude, to a great country, that treats all, well.

My opponent commits several fallacies:

1) Uses several other countries instead of one. No one said the US is greater than all the other nations combined. My opponent takes a little from several different countries to show America is not the best. That is not logically sound to me.
This, I believe, is one of the biggest problems with his argument. He should have chosen only one country that he thought is better and we could compare 1 to 1. He does seem to favor Japan and Finland, but does not make clear which one he intends to use to compare to the US. More importantly in the specific comparisons, he constantly uses other countries. Point made.

2) The news week link was discussing the best country to live in. It did not take into account important factors such as military, technology, and good work done around the world.

At 3.79 million square miles (9.83 million km2) and with over 312 million people, the United States is the third or fourth largest country by total area and the third largest by both land area and population. It is one of the world's most ethnically diverse and multicultural nations, the product of large-scale immigration from many countries.[6] The U.S. economy is the world's largest national economy, with an estimated 2010 GDP of $14.53 trillion (23% of nominal global GDP and over 19% of global GDP at purchasing-power parity).[3][7]

The United States exercises global economic, political, and military influence. It is a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council and New York City hosts the United Nations Headquarters. It is a member of the G8, G20, and Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. Almost all countries have embassies in Washington, D.C., and many have consulates around the country. Likewise, nearly all nations host American diplomatic missions

Military:
My opponent seems to agree that with regard to military technology US is tops, but #s are more important.

Quality, over quantity.

Welcome to the 21st century, wars are fought with technology not just soldiers.

In an all out war US will win any country hands down.

One super hydrogen bomb, blows up millions of people, case closed. In an all out war, tech is what will win, no question about it.

My opponent requests some statistics so here they are:

US have 64% of aircraft that evade the radar.

F-35 Lightning has the most sophisticated radar in the world.

A Ballistic Missile from US can reach anywhere in the world.
US are the only nation to have such a long range conventional missile. Russia is second with 11,500 km range.

US also has 2nd strike capability. This means that US will be able to strike with a nuclear weapon even if an enemy has managed to nuke US. Only 6 nations are capable of such 2nd Strike- US, Russia, Israel, Great Britain, France and China. (The only one not in the top 5 is Israel). Not Japan and not Finland.

Now for a word from Wikipedia:

American forces can be rapidly deployed by the Air Force's large fleet of transport aircraft, the Navy's eleven active aircraft carriers, and Marine Expeditionary Units at sea with the Navy's Atlantic and Pacific fleets. The military operates 865 bases and facilities abroad,[63] and maintains deployments greater than 100 active duty personnel in 25 foreign countries.[64] The extent of this global military presence has prompted some scholars to describe the United States as maintaining an "empire of bases".[65]

Tech:
My opponent agrees that the US is tops in the tech. index.

Who invented the tech the world lives on; light bulbs, radio, cars, motor, phones, planes, computers, internet, etc.?
That's right, America.

Wikipedia:
The United States has been a leader in scientific research and technological innovation since the late 19th century...

The rise of Nazism in the 1930s led many European scientists, including Albert Einstein and Enrico Fermi, to immigrate to the United States. During World War II, the Manhattan Project developed nuclear weapons, ushering in the Atomic Age. The Space Race produced rapid advances in rocketry, materials science, and computers. IBM, Apple Computer, and Microsoft refined and popularized the personal computer. The United States largely developed the ARPANET and its successor, the Internet. The United States leads the world in scientific research papers and impact factor.[114] Americans possess high levels of technological consumer goods,[115] and almost half of U.S. households have broadband Internet access.[116] The country is the primary developer and grower of genetically modified food, representing half of the world's biotech crops.[117]

Education:
According to prominent international rankings, 13 or 15 American colleges and universities are ranked among the top 20 in the world. [139][140]-Wikipedia

The United States leads the world in scientific research papers and impact factor [114]-Wikipedia

Economy:
US have a GDP per capita of $ 42, 381 as of March 2009 (data provided by IMF). It was $37,500 back in 2003.

The U.S. economy is the world's largest national economy, with an estimated 2010 GDP of $14.53 trillion (23% of nominal global GDP and over 19% of global GDP at purchasing-power parity). [3][7]- Wikipedia

US produced 300,000 jobs in one month alone in March.

World influence:

The United States exercises global economic, political, and military influence. It is a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council and New York City hosts the United Nations Headquarters. It is a member of the G8, G20, and Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. Almost all countries have embassies in Washington, D.C., and many have consulates around the country. Likewise, nearly all nations host American diplomatic missions.

Here is a comprehensive chart detailing Americas forging aid.
http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com...

The best thing about America is that it not only allows freedom, but actually protects and supports it, at home and abroad, by providing aid to those who need it, and fighting those who wish to undermine freedom, and the rights of others, particularly small minority groups.

I personally, and my religion as a whole, are indebted to America as the most benevolent of countries, of our long and difficult exile. No other country has been so supportive, and protective, Freeing us to a large extent from the anti-Semitism that has plagued us in our millennia long exile.

A tribute to America, provider, and most importantly supporter, and protector, of freedom, humanity, and rights.
Posted by zbishop 11 months ago
zbishop
Enjoy your life to the fullest and keep your nose out of others. If you don't like the US go somewhere else. Simple as that.
Posted by BrodyWanKenobi 1 year ago
BrodyWanKenobi
I may be way too late commenting anything but I just had to say: Akemi_Loli_Mokoto, just because you can use Google doesn't mean you can stand up and think you can win in a debate. I'm sorry, but Japan is not better than the United States. Point in example: Hiroshima. I rest my case.
Posted by Lordknukle 2 years ago
Lordknukle
Of course you are...

Pride....
Posted by Akemi_Loli_Mokoto 2 years ago
Akemi_Loli_Mokoto
I would have been gone if my profile was instantly deleted and debates I've been in removed, but that didn't happen. My pride wouldn't let me leave the debates unfinished. Also, I haven't brought the site yet, because I'm busying with buying 3 other websites. This is NOT a top priority, my friend.
Posted by Lordknukle 2 years ago
Lordknukle
btw AKemi,
Why haven't you left yet or bought the website?
Posted by Akemi_Loli_Mokoto 2 years ago
Akemi_Loli_Mokoto
Everything I have said can be supported on http://www.nationmaster.com... who gets it's information from the national censuses, the United Nations Development Programme, the UNESCO Institute of Statistics, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, the World Trade Organization, World Bank Development Indicators, the World Resources Institute, the World Health Organization, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (UNCTAD) reports, the Central Intelligence Agency World Factbook.
Posted by Kethen 2 years ago
Kethen
I will wait for this argument to finish as not to aid one contender but Con has already put out false statements.
Vote Placed by rogue 2 years ago
rogue
Akemi_Loli_MokotosmartyskirtTied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting debate. I think con could have done better but Pro did pretty well with what she had to work with.
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
Akemi_Loli_MokotosmartyskirtTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made many good arguments and actually provided links to sources where she found them from so I gave her arguments. Con used the word crap many times, sarcastically teased the pro, and even bet his left nut so i think pro deserves conduct too
Vote Placed by Lordknukle 2 years ago
Lordknukle
Akemi_Loli_MokotosmartyskirtTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro won this one