DudeHouse
RevNge

America is the most ethical world superpower to ever exist.

RevNge

DudeHouse

Pro

RevNge

Con

Ethical - Pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.

R1: The US is Hardly Ethical
In 2013, 16,238 Americans were murdered by others.[1]

Two million Americans were assaulted.[1]

237,868 Americans are sexually assaulted every year.[2]

The US has the highest prison population in the world.[3]

C1: Canada is Much More Ethical

543 murders in 2012[4]

563 rapes in 2008[5]

45th highest prison population in the world[6]

[1]http://www.cdc.gov...
[2]https://www.rainn.org...
[3]http://www.prisonstudies.org...
[4]http://www.statcan.gc.ca...
[5]http://www.nationmaster.com...
[6]http://www.prisonstudies.org...
DudeHouse

Pro

I meant America as a superpower, like in it"s actions towards other nations, and the actions the American government takes towards it"s people. So you might say the Roman Empire was unethical as Caesar put millions of Gaul prisoners to the sword. You can also say Soviet Union as a superpower had very little regard to the lives of it"s citizens.

As far as violence and crime in America I agree with you.

I also don"t consider Canada to now or have ever been a superpower.

So yeah superpower". Think Persia, or Ancient Greece, or Colonial England, or any Chinese dynasty throughout time. Do you still want to continue?
RevNge

Con

BoP is on Pro to prove how America is the world's most ethical superpower to ever exist. While he can certainly argue that it is ethical, he must prove how it's the most ethical.

So far, he has not done so, for he only posted a few examples of superpowers that were more unethical than the United States. As a result, he has lost for failing to write a resolution, and results in allowing me to control this entire debate.

I rest my case, for none of this has proved how America is the most ethical superpower to ever exist.
DudeHouse

Pro

I hate when people claim theyve won, thats for the voters to decide. The debate was going completely off topic. You compared american crime statistics to canadian crime statistics. This debate is about behaviour of superpowers in relation to other nations and treatment of its own citizens.

So some comparisons.

Ancient Egypt: forced thousands of slaves to die to build ridiculously resource consuming pyramids all so one guy could be happy

France under Napeleon Bonaparte: engaged his country in constant war to support his ambition of power. Sent thousands of his French soldiers to fight the battle of waterloo, a battle with such low odds of success, because it was worth it to him to gamble for greatness at the expense of his soldiers lives.

Soviet Union: Citizens were basically expendable under Soviet rule. 27 million died during world war 2. Also free speech was surpessed. Under Stalin you could be killed for expressing opposing political views.
RevNge

Con

I concede that I misread the topic of this debate (XD I think I got it mixed up with something else), and crime statistics don't mean anything.

However, you must understand that your resolution is to prove that America is the most ethical world superpower to ever exist. That means two or three comparisons will not help; you must use statistics and arguments to show why it is the most ethical, not more ethical. So far, all you have been doing is to prove that it's more ethical than those three superpowers, not more ethical than every single superpower to ever exist. Your BoP has not been fulfilled.

In addition, you are missing the positive deeds of those governments above and are merely exploiting the negative deeds. I will do the same with America, so quid pro quo. I'll have to post it next round, as this character limit is ridiculously low.

Tl;dr: Pro did not fulfill BoP and is intentionally misinterpreting his own resolution.
DudeHouse

Pro

Well Con,

The list of superpowers throughout history is quite long, so it would be ridiculous to compare America to every single one of them. I was hoping you'd make a suggestion since your Con.

Anyways, since you"re just trying to win on technicalities and haven"t made any sort of argument, I"ll go ahead.

America vs Mayans
Treatment of Neighbors
Mayans: Went to surrounding villages, raiding them and using the prisoners as human sacrifice. In one religious event an estimated 20,000 human sacrifices were made [1]
Americans: Prevents neighbors (mostly Mexicans) from entering its borders without proper documentation. Those found within its borders are sent home.

America vs Rome
Civilians Killed During Wars
America in Iraq: 133,000 killed due to fighting in civilian areas [2]. Out of 32.6 million people that"s 0.4% of the population [3]
Rome in Gaul: 1 million killed. Most were executed. Out of 3 to 6 million people, that"s from 17% to 33% of the population. [4]

Sources in comments
RevNge

Con

Well Pro,

You're written a resolution chock-full of loopholes that anyone can win this debate with technicalities. You should have stated the topic wisely.

Ever - at any time[1]
Exist - to have actual being; be[2]

In other words, you must prove how America is more ethical than any superpower that had been in any time. Any time. That is what your resolution states, and you have not covered them all.

Unfortunately, even if you were able to compile a full list, I doubt you could list them all in this terribly small character limit.

Bottom line: Pro misinterpreted his resolution and is attempting to compare only a select number of superpowers.

Furthermore, your contentions are easily biased. You do not consider the positive and constructive deeds of each superpower, and only focus on one aspect.

[1]http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2]http://dictionary.reference.com...
DudeHouse

Pro

Honestly, I don"t even care about winning, I just wanted to have a good debate. I hope everyone votes for you just so you stop crying like a little girl.

It"s actually quite difficult to find a superpower with an ethical record, but some are less bad. Britain is often regarded as one of the more ethical superpowers in history, so I compare US to them.

Least Ethical Events on Superpower"s Track Record

Britain: During the Boer Wars in South Africa, Britain put locals in concentration camps where thousands of women children, and blacks died [1]

US: In Vietnam, US used Agent Orange to destroy the forest that the rebels used for cover. The effects from the chemicals killed thousands of people [2]

The British are less ethical here because they got away with it and America didn"t. The American people used their democratic power to force America to withdrawal. Here, modern technology and a democratic system forced a modern superpower to be more ethical

[1] [2] in comments
RevNge

Con

Honestly, if you wanted to have a good debate, you should have written a good resolution. I hope everyone votes for me just so you'll learn your lesson, write a better topic, and you can have a legitimate debate next time.

I would also like to Pro has violated the character limit by posting the remainder in the comments.

Also, Pro has no backing for his claim that Britain is regarded as one of the more ethical superpowers. Without evidence, that argument is rather useless.

Pro would have won had he stated his resolution differently, but he has dug his own grave and, per his topic, must prove that America is ethical than every single superpower to ever exist. Alas, it's impossible in such a short character limit. Therefore, Con wins primarily due to Pro's phrasing of his resolution.

Vote Con.
Posted by DudeHouse 2 years ago
DudeHouse
[1] and [2] from Round 5

[1] http://www.bbc.co.uk...
[2] http://www.history.com...
Posted by DudeHouse 2 years ago
DudeHouse
Karl,

I dont really get it. Is that an inside joke between u and revenge?
Posted by RevNge 2 years ago
RevNge
LOL, Karl. XD
Posted by 18Karl 2 years ago
18Karl
Canada is not superpower. The definition of superpower is "a nation that has killed more than 6 million Jews" so Nazi Germany is the only viable option.
Posted by RevNge 2 years ago
RevNge
Besides, I'm not even trying on this debate. I never try on purple circle debates.
Posted by RevNge 2 years ago
RevNge
So those "cities" don't count as the "real America"? BS, if you ask me. Besides, this guy's going to ff the next four rounds...

And you underestimate Canada's population. 500 cuts it in half? Seriously? Bull.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
rev... Most of those murders are in liberal utopias like Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, Washington D.C.. Not out here where real America exists.Those 500 or so murders in Canada probably cut your population in half. You actually live in all that cold on purpose.
Posted by Mike_10-4 2 years ago
Mike_10-4
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
DudeHouseRevNgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: I would agree with con that pro only presented a few nations and not all nations ever, which is why he failed to fulfill his BoP.
Vote Placed by 1harderthanyouthink 2 years ago
1harderthanyouthink
DudeHouseRevNgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: While neither party did exceptionally well here, Con is correct in saying that Pro did not fulfill his BoP. Therefore, arguments go to Con. --- Pro's arguments were screwed from the beginning, as he'd have to prove the US is more ethical than all past and present superpowers. Con pointed out that Pro only listed a few, which again means the BoP was not met. --- I saw nothing that would merit a win for Pro.