kellymarie
Openmide

America should unquestionable accept gay marriage

kellymarie

Pro

America is a melting pot. We are full of every nationality, all languages, all beliefs and cultures that you could think of. We came here for RELIGIOUS FREEDOM. This being said, banning gay rights shouldn't be because of religious beliefs because it would be hypocritical considering that we came here for religious freedom so why would be follow a religious belief? A marriage has been around before Christianity where it's a "holy matrimony". It's always been about uniting two people as one. So if a man and a man or a woman and another woman love each other and want to be united as one, then let them. America would only be hypocritical to go against gay marriage.
Openmide

Con

America does not have every nationality, language, belief, and culture that I can think of though I can't speak for you. As far as Gay Marriage I can start with saying that it is not a religion and, therefore, has nothing to do with religious freedom.
If you look at the United States you will see that in most polls 70% - 80% of Americans are Christian, and upwards of 80% of then are anti-gay. With some simple math you will find that 56% - 64% of the U.S. is anti-gay. This does not include other Non-Christian people who are anti-gay. Now the United States is a democracy and that mean majority rules. So unless you want to change they form of government we use there is no way that gays can democratically be accepted in society.
Now the government which is supposed to be a direct representation of our population has gotten off center and now does not represent the public. They represent the voting public.
kellymarie

Pro

Whether it does not have every single nationality and language known to man, it has many which is undeniable so do not take the statement so literal. Whether you do or do not, it does not change the fact that we indeed are a melting put. And your hypocritical statement talking about how it doesn't have to do with religion and then talking about Christianity makes no sense. And instead of using strictly statistics from Christianity, explain to me why 55% of Americans in 2013 supported same-sex-marriage. It is because you're strictly focusing on a religion that is against the issue with is obviously unbiased. If you want to have a solid stand on an issue you should look at statistics as a whole.
Openmide

Con

Openmide forfeited this round.
kellymarie

Pro

Glad you understand now (:
Openmide

Con

Openmide forfeited this round.
kellymarie

Pro

kellymarie forfeited this round.
Openmide

Con

Openmide forfeited this round.
Posted by ThunderClap 4 years ago
ThunderClap
TheOncomingStorm is right. If you read his link you would have seen an accurate account of history. America was first settled in Jamestown and, while one of the leaders was a strong Christian, it was for the purpose of settling in America to compete with Spain. Just because you learn something in second grade doesn't make it true. A lot of textbooks have it messed up. Some people did come to America for freedom from Anglicanism (the Puritans and Separatists), but the Separatists had an understood Christian value in their settlement and the Puritans didn't even allow you to vote unless you were a landholding church member. Freedom of religion was not to be found among them. Stop using baseless assertions and open up your mind to the possibility that elementary school isn't the ultimate source of truth and knowledge.
Posted by kellymarie 4 years ago
kellymarie
People moved to AMERICA for RELIGIOUS FREEDOM. It's pretty common sense and it's taught since we're children it's one of the main reasons why people came to America so you should look into your history a little bit more. (:
Posted by TheOncomingStorm 4 years ago
TheOncomingStorm
@Kellymarie, I'm not taking a stance on the topic, I just care about history. The pilgrims went to Holland where they found absolute freedom of religion, and the extent people took it to was offensive.

For evidence both my history professor and http://www.history.com... agree with me.

Again, I'm not taking a stance on this, but I care about history and will correct people when they get something historically accurate (especially when used as a major point). Call me the history nazi if you wish.
Posted by kellymarie 4 years ago
kellymarie
TheOncomingStorm - And you're really focused on being literal about my statement instead of dealing with the point at hand. Secondly if you were focused in your history class more it was not just about the children, it was about not being controlled by their monarch telling them what religion they can follow. They came here FOR religious freedom, not to get away from freedom.
Nzrsaa - I'm saying that they should accept it because it's giving the people freedom to engage in same-sex marriage, and to also not engage in same-sex marriage and continue heterosexual marriages. It's not making people do something, it's only opening new doors and lifting restrictions. It's not holding back people's freedom of speech at all but people should have the choice.
Posted by wisegirl70901 4 years ago
wisegirl70901
I agree with you, LilBabyJesus. Even though we have a democracy, just because the people believe it, doesn't mean it's right. It used to be a common belief that the world is flat, but we know it's not, now.
Posted by LilBabyJesus 4 years ago
LilBabyJesus
This isn't a question of morality or constitution, this is a question of equality. I'm sure many people in the South didn't want the slaves freed, but everyone deserves to be equal whether you disagree with their life or not.
Posted by Openmide 4 years ago
Openmide
Thank you for your input Nzrsaa
Posted by Nzrsaa 4 years ago
Nzrsaa
I disagree with you, pro. If you are trying to say that the USA should 'unquestionably' accept gay marriage, then you are essentially forcing people to believe in something, restricting free speech and acting entirely unconstitutionally. this is wrong on every level. Everyone deserves a voice, whether you agree with it or not.
Posted by TheOncomingStorm 4 years ago
TheOncomingStorm
I'm really sorry, but it have to correct you on your first two sentences. We actually don't have every nationality or language in America. There are quite a few that don't live here. There are also quite a few minor beliefs and cultures that exist in mostly undeveloped areas only. Also people came to America to settle the land, and if you're referring to the Pilgrims, they came to escape the religious freedom they found in Holland because they felt the complete freedom of religion was corrupting their kids. Whether I agree with gay marriage or not isn't important, I just wanted to let you know that you got a few things wrong. You might want to reconcile that for future debates.