otogun
Gaberdoodle

America was never a democracy.

otogun has forfeited round #3.
Started: 7/6/2016 Category: Economics

otogun

Pro

America was never a democracy.A democracy is a form of government which the people rule, hence democracy means, "the people govern", if all power was distributed amongst the people equally and not selectively. Why was there a Civil Rights movement ?

I am new to this, so if I made a mistake please correct me.
Gaberdoodle

Con

I'm not sure that the Civil Rights Movement has anything to do with America being a democracy. As you stated, a democracy is "a form of government which the people rule". America has always been a democracy since the Constitution's radification in 1788, whether or not this "democracy" included people of all races, genders, and economic status.
During the Civil Rights Movement, African Americans fought for their basic rights including the right to vote. Even though black people and women did not have the basic fundamental rights of the Constitution, the power of the government was still given to "the people".
Democracy doesn't necessarily mean that the power is distributed equally among the people, just that the power is distrubited to the people.
I look forward to this debate.
otogun

Pro

If you are born within the lines of America does that make you its citizen? The African-Americans fought for their rights to vote, meaning they're citizens who did not have the legal authority to vote. A democracy IS governed by its people as I have said, so once the governments acknowledges its citizens as citizens, it is then that the people gain their legal right to use there respective powers . Although on 1873 African-Americans were allowed to vote as citizens, it would not be fully realized for almost a century. And that is why The Voting Rights act took place of 1965, even though the government saw them as its people they did not treat them as such. I used the Civil Rights Movement as an example to proof that it is not true that America is a democracy. And once you rebut or agree to my statement I will you tell how it applies today as well.
Gaberdoodle

Con

I guess what this really comes down to is your definition of "democracy". Even Ancient Greece, the origin of all democracy, only allowed for free adult men to participate in government. No women, no foreigners, etc. However, these women and foreigners were still citizens of Athens. They just didn't have the right to vote as opposed to the free adult white males. But was the power of government still given to the people? Yes.
And you're entire argument about the Civil Rights Era is still false. In 1868, the 14th Amendment was passed thus giving all blacks citizenship. In 1870, the 15th Amendment was passed giving African American males the right to vote. So there was only a span of 2 years when America wasn't a full "democracy", at least according to your definition that a democracy gives power to EVERY SINGLE person.
Now yes, you can argue that because of the Jim Crow laws and "grandfather clauses" passed in the late 1800s and early 1900s African Americans were denied voting privileges. However, America as a whole was not responsible for such actions. These things were mostly originated in individual states, especially the southern states as they were incredibly racist and bitter. The Civil Rights Movement was mainly due to these practices of putting up barriers to prevent blacks from voting, rather than because of the government itself stopping them from voting. If that were true, if the government did not provide blacks with the right to vote, then the southern states would not have had 3 to 4 percent of the black population voting (yes, that is a small number but it still shows that blacks had the right to vote).
A democracy is when the power of government is given to it's citizens, and America has done that since its start, even if it has been racist and ignorant in the process.
Sources: https://www.aclu.org...
http://www.ushistory.org...
Posted by otogun 7 months ago
otogun
Read my argument and you will understand
Posted by I_Wanna_Rawk 7 months ago
I_Wanna_Rawk
You are right, however, I don't get how the civil rights movement had to do with America not being a democracy. Read about the structure of a democracy, vs. a federal republic, which we are.