nonprophet
ponycordero

American Men Should Never Get Married

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

nonprophet

Pro

The first round is for acceptance only.
ponycordero

Con

Welp, here we go
nonprophet

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for taking on this debate.

I will argue that anything a married American man can do, a single American man can also do.
This includes: live together with a partner, have sex together, raise children together, etc.

The reason why American Men shouldn't get married is because legally they don't have any rights, once they are married.
Marriage is a legal contract that makes a woman 50% owner of everything the man owns. Even with a pre-nuptial. a woman can sue for 50%.

In case of a divorce, and there are children involved, the woman will have custody of the children. It's almost impossible for a man to get custody of children. That means a man will become an ATM machine to pay for the children, but he will be lucky to get visitation rights to see them at all.

If a man can't afford the payments, he will be put in jail and will no longer have a way to earn money, yet be responsible for paying the child support. He is also responsible for paying the court costs and his spouses' attorney!

Here's a good example of that:
www.justice4carlos.com

Because American laws favor women, American men should NEVER get married.

ponycordero

Con

I can certainly concede that divorce litigation in the US is a complete mess and horrendously stacked against the husband/father in most cases.

However, I do not think it is enough to say that men should never get married because there is are risks involved. When a man weighs the cost/benefit analysis of getting married vs living in an unmarried arrangement, he considers the prospect from an personal basis of preference and values. In other words, each man must decide for himself if getting married is something he wants and is important to him. However, even something with a high reward should not be engaged in if it also involves excessive risks. I suppose that would may the true question of this debate:

"Are the risks involved with getting married so excessive that no reasonably minded man should ever bother?"

The answer is no. The reason is personal and cultural. Men get married because they want to better their lives by achieving mutual happiness in a relationship with another human being. Marriage is the symbol of a bond with that human being. To many people, just being with that person is not the same as it is when you make the public covenant to remain faithful and loving to each other.

If that notion sounds stupid and naive to anyone reading this, I invite you to throw away any trophy, award, memento, or nostalgic item you have in your possession. If you're a gamer, delete any saved data for any game you have already beaten.

Are you resistant to that idea? Why? Awards and trophies have no practical utility. Those old things are cluttering up your space. That saved data could make room for newer useful data. Why does anyone feel the need to have some sort of physical, symbolic representation of things that are important to them? Isn't the accomplishment enough?

It is because, as human beings, these things enhance our experience and appreciation of what we have. When people get engaged, they give each other wedding rings sometimes spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on them. They could easily keep that money to pay bills. They could buy each other something more useful with the money. They could go on a huge vacation and make memories together. However, many people still opt for wedding rings because of what they represent:

Marriage

The idea that you can give up part of yourself to someone else and receive a part of them in return. Could you do that without a marriage, or a wedding ring, or a ceremony? Yes you could. For some people, that is enough and that's ok. However, for many, many people in the world, their happiness and their experience together is enriched by making that promise publicly and legally to each other.

If there are risks and potential consequences involved, a man must understand what those risks are and be aware of how they can affect him in a permanent way. If he chooses to get married come what may, then the happiness must be worth the risk to him.
nonprophet

Pro

My opponent didn't give much of a fight and mostly agreed with me.

Like I said before, anything a married American man can do, a single American man can also do.

My opponent asks, "Are the risks involved with getting married so excessive that no reasonably minded man should ever bother?"
I just proved that the answer to that is "yes".
A man can lose his money, property, children, career and even his own freedom. Talk about excessive
Since the divorce rate is over 50% the odds are not in his favor.
My opponent agrees with me that "even something with a high reward should not be engaged in if it also involves excessive risks."

My opponent also wants to compare a marriage to a trophy.
I guess that's where the term "trophy wife"comes from.
Marriage isn't about love, it's about status in the eyes of the public.

Once again I agree with my opponent: "If there are risks and potential consequences involved, a man must understand what those risks are and be aware of how they can affect him in a permanent way. If he chooses to get married come what may, then the happiness must be worth the risk to him."
Once again I'll point out that a
man can lose his money, property, children, career and even his own freedom.

The happiness is not worth the risk since he can have the same happiness without the risk, just by not getting married.

Thanks for the debate.

ponycordero

Con

ponycordero forfeited this round.
Posted by nonprophet 2 years ago
nonprophet
I guess I won this one!
Posted by nonprophet 2 years ago
nonprophet
@Dennybug You're the perfect reason why I don't debate children.
Posted by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
last time i tried to debate with you, you said you dont debate people under 21. im saying thats bs
Posted by nonprophet 2 years ago
nonprophet
@Dennybug Children can't be legally married. That's not my discriminatory policy.
Posted by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
Your discriminatory policy not allowing anyone under the age of 21 to argue with you is kind of sad.
Posted by nonprophet 2 years ago
nonprophet
No joke, just a debate.
Posted by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
wtf, is this a joke?