mycahrshelton
footballchris561

American culture should become more sexualized

mycahrshelton

Pro

This, to me, would be the sexualization of a culture.

Public nudity should be legalized and encouraged.
Prostitution should be legalized.
All types of consensual sodomy between any two [or more] animate beings should be legalized.
Nudity [especially non-sexual] should be allowed on TV, PG rated movies, and Internet sites including YouTube, Facebook, Instagram.
Age of consent should be lowered to 15 and non-sexual nude images of children [upon parental consent] should be legalized.
Viewing of amateur pornography should be encouraged for curious children.
All sexual matters should be encouraged to be talked about openly.

I would like the debate to go like so:
R1 introduction and acceptance
R2 initial arguments
R3 counter-arguments
R4 defense to counter-arguments
R5 final thoughts and who you should vote for and why

I would like someone older than the age of 18 to debate this topic considering the topic. I would also prefer someone with experience in debating although you only need to have completed one debate on this site to qualify.
footballchris561

Con

Good luck.
mycahrshelton

Pro

I will now post my main argument to the debate.

_____________________________________________________________________________
Argument 1: The sexualization of American culture would potentially reduce rates of teen pregnancies, STDs, abortions, and sex crimes.

More sexual countries such as The Netherlands, Amsterdam, Spain, France, and Germany have significantly less teen pregnancies, abortions, and STDs than the more conservative country of America which seems to be rampant in these three things.[1] This is because of the amount of laws America has on sexuality. When too many rules are in place it causes psychological reactance among some people.

We can see this in the state highest in teen pregnancies (Mississippi) which only requires abstinence only sex education, but the state lowest in teen pregnancies (New Hampshire) requires comprehensive sex education in schools. "Research shows that abstinence-only strategies could deter contraceptive use among teenagers, thus increasing their risk of unintended pregnancy."[2].

In the same way, sexual repression in America makes sexual crimes that harm others (nonconsensual sex, pedophilia, and hebephilia) look significantly more inviting to the minds of criminals in comparison to sexual crimes that are harmless (public nudity and consensual sodomy) considering things that are taboo are seen as appealing to some. I truly believe if harmful sex crimes were [not necessarily more acceptable, but] "less unacceptable" they would lose much of their appeal to criminals and the rates of pedophilia and rape would decrease.

This is referred to as the boomerang effect. "In social psychology the boomerang effect refers to a persuasive form of communication sent to a receiver, yet returned back with the opposite reaction. Thus, the consequential result is not the original, intended message."[3] So to put this into relevant terms, the government passes a lot of laws concerning sexuality to control said matters of a culture (a persuasive form of communication sent to a receiver) which results in the spreading of STDs and practice of unsafe sex (opposite reaction).

____________________________________________
Argument 2: Sexuality is a victimless crime

In a more sexual culture, things such as ephebophilia, beastiality, and public nudity would be more accepted. It's important that these become acceptable because they're victimless crimes and if someone wants to take part in these acts as long as they're not harming any animate being, it is their right to do that. There's no reason the laws restricting these things should exist. Their laws restrict our liberty and freedom therefore should be abolished

__________________________________________________________________
Argument 3: Sexual repression leads to lack of sexual education.

In a sexually repressed culture, people are not adequately educated on such matters as not only sex, but homosexual and transsexual lifestyle and sexual needs of the opposite sex.

Sexualization will encourage parents to talk openly about sexual matters and avoid children being uneducated (or possibly educated by an unwanted source) which leads to promiscuity, spread of STDs, and unwanted pregnancies in early adulthood, and molestation and less significant problems such as self body image issues during adolescence. Openness on such a subject will avoid a child being tempted to learn these things on their own.

Lack of education causes unnecessary negative treatment toward homosexuals, trans people, and, for lack of a better term, sluts. These are groups of people constantly battered by society either for doings things they harmlessly enjoy or for taking part in preferences with which they were born.

[1] http://tinyurl.com...
[2] http://tinyurl.com...
[3] http://tinyurl.com...

Now contender will post their main argument, then we will proceed to argue each other's points.
footballchris561

Con

First I would like to start out by stating that politically I am libertarian and believe that people should have the freedom to do what they want to do if it does not affect other people. My arguments will be based on more the societal issues like the debate was categorized in and less on the political issues like what the law should be although I will have to talk about it a little.

In American culture we generally are encouraged to educate our children about sex and the importance of being aware of the dangers of sex such as STD's, and unwanted pregnancy. in my opinion we already have a pretty sexualized culture with the content around us in movies, TV, and Internet. However I do recognize the restrictions and negativity that goes towards the idea of sex and will be arguing that this is necessary.

My first argument is simple. There are dangers and consequences to sex that can be either physical or psychological. The physical consequences include pregnancy and STD's. The psychological consequences can include social separation and isolation, Depression, insecurities, anxiety, and meaningless relationships which can lead to separation and negatively impact a possible child. I know that we deal with a lot of these issues right now but changing a law does not change societies opinion on something. These people will have do deal with these problems with or without a law involved. For the sake of the argument, even if these things were to easily become accepted by people this does not mean that these psychological consequences would go away. The idea of being skinny with big boobs and big but and performing well for your partner is still an exaggerated thing in the media which is a prominent cause of insecurities and depression. With men it is the idea of having a big penis or big muscles. Sometimes the idea of being insecure about something is good because it is a prominent motivator but with the idea of sexualizing a culture you are giving more meaning to sex and being better at it. Being motivated to be better at sex will not make you a productive person to help benefit your society. Doing that would only have a negative impact on society like it is right now. If anything, we are too sexualized already.

With that point being made I would like to talk about the maturity of teenagers and young adults. 15 year old kids to 17 year old kids are a lot less mature than average and are a lot more impulsive and less likely to think about the consequences of an action. even 18 or 19 even into the low 20s young adults tend to be less mature and more impulsive. Teenagers and young adults are not fully capable of understanding long term consequences and often overlook them in decision making. 15 year old kids should not be having sex at all. However I do agree with you that education is important for children and it is encouraged to start talking to your children about it at a young age. Age of consent should not be lowered to under 15. Children this age are easier to take advantage of and often succumb to peer pressure a lot easier.
- http://www.nbcnews.com...

I conclude for now and will have a lot more to say in rebuttals next round.
mycahrshelton

Pro

Con was asked not to rebuttal until round 3. Do not give heed to con's ignorance to my first post. I will be repeating some of my points, this is not to address con's ignorance as it was intended.

"The physical consequences include pregnancy and STD's...The psychological consequences can include...meaningless relationships which can lead to separation and negatively impact a possible child."
This statement assumes a more sexual culture would result in more unprotected sex. As I explained, a more sexual culture would mean more openness which means more education which means more awareness which means less dangers such as these.

"The psychological consequences can include social separation and isolation, depression, insecurities, anxiety..."
This is a fair argument, however insignificant in comparison to the current epidemic of STDs, unwanted pregnancies, child molestation, and rape. As for social separation specifically, it might be a problem for but a few years. A change in a cultural lifestyle takes many generations, but sometimes it's just what needs to happen to solve certain problems.
That being said, things such as public nudity, permitted non sexual images on TV, popular websites, and movies, and sexual openness will encourage a sort of "nonsexual sexuality" where our bodies are not viewed as objects for sex, but a part of nature and a part of who we are.

"Even if these things were to easily become accepted by people this does not mean that these psychological consequences would go away."
The goal of sexualizing a culture is not to stop depression, insecurities, and anxiety. These would be indirect results therefore should (and need to) be addressed elsewhere.

"Changing a law does not change societies opinion on something."
If I made it seem as though this was what I was implying, I did not mean to. I meant to suggest changing the laws would indirectly help slowly bring future generations to accept said opinions. In the meantime I believe these things in society should not only be allowed, but encouraged and the denigration of said acts should be discouraged. Nevertheless, this is a fair argument on con's side.

"With the idea of sexualizing a culture you are giving more meaning to sex and being better at it."
How so? Please note this is a prediction based on no logical evidence unlike the other predictions made during this debate by both parties.

"Being motivated to be better at sex will not make you a productive person to help benefit your society."
How is productivity related to this topic? This statement is irrelevant to the current subject.

"If anything, we are too sexualized already."
I believe we are too sexualized in the wrong respect. Media certainly pushes us to be more attractive and appealing which does cause depression, insecurities, and anxiety, but I am not encouraging a culture where people are pressured to be better; I'm encouraging a culture where people are better educated on sex. If sexualization is what indirectly causes people to become more insecure, anxious, and depressed than it's what has to happen to help our more important issues.

"15 year old kids to 17 year old kids are a lot less mature than average...even 18 or 19 even into the low 20s young adults tend to be less mature and more impulsive. Teenagers and young adults are not fully capable of understanding long term consequences and often overlook them in decision making. 15 year old kids should not be having sex at all...Children this age are easier to take advantage of and often succumb to peer pressure a lot easier."
The problem is most people between the ages of 15 and 25 are having sex whether it's legal or not. In fact, they're doing whatever they want whether it's legal or not. Having the age of consent anywhere between these numbers is absurd. If 15 year olds and 25 year olds are almost equal in terms of maturity and are doing the same things, but only those 18 and up are allowed, then we're creating meaningless legal criminals. Most things these kids are doing are considered victimless crimes and only directly affect themselves. If we trust 18+ year olds to take care of themselves, why can't we trust 15-17 year olds to do so? If the age of consent is lowered to 15, the only thing that's gonna happen is that they'll be allowed to do the things they're already doing.
But most of this is somewhat irrelevant to the topic. The idea is that consensual fornication with a 15-17 year old (ephebophilia) is victimless crime where fornicating with an 11-14 year old (hebephilia) or anyone below 10 (pedophilia) creates a victim since children below the age of 14 sometimes don't quite understand what sex really is so it would be classified as molestation which can really negatively affect a child's life forever. The idea isn't necessarily to allow 15 year olds to consensually fornicate with each other, but to allow others to have consensual fornication with them. As I explained, if this were allowed it would slowly become more acceptable thus, hopefully, making things like pedophilia and hebephilia "less unacceptable".
footballchris561

Con

Before continuing to rebut your arguments I want to point out that I am not arguing that America should become more repressed sexually and that abstinence only should be our education plan. I am arguing that our laws and education plan should stay at about what they are now for the majority of America according to population in said area. Most states do not encourage abstinence only and therefore that is not my argument. Pros argument is that we should change our laws and education plan to become more sexualized while my argument is that we should remain the same. According to the source below the rate of teen pregnancy's is dropping significantly in America which supports my argument that what we are doing right now is working.
- http://www.latimes.com...

"More sexual countries such as The Netherlands, Amsterdam, Spain, France, and Germany have significantly less teen pregnancies, abortions, and STDs than the more conservative country of America which seems to be rampant in these three things."
Sources below support my statements for the rebuttal of this argument.
I would like to first point out that causation does not always mean correlation. While theses facts may be related to each other, your argument falls on the assumption that the relaxed laws of these countries is directly attributing to the low teen pregnancy rates. Different countries are affected differently by changes or differences in laws are cultures than others. To sufficiently make my point I will show two countries that contradict your argument.
Niger - Age of consent: 13 Teen pregnancy rate: 207 per 1000 people
Libya - Age of consent: 18 Teen pregnancy rate: 3.2 per 1000 people
While I can not make a strong claim as to exactly what the cause is for the higher pregnancy, I can point it in another direction. Americans, in particular, are generally thrill seeking people. Many people would describe sex as one of the most fun or enjoyable things one can do. By taking away some of the laws, and becoming more relaxed about sex culturally, you are not able to take the thrill out of having sex. People will still do it.

- http://en.wikipedia.org...
- https://www.google.com...
- http://en.wikipedia.org...
- https://www.google.com...

"I truly believe if harmful sex crimes were [not necessarily more acceptable, but] "less unacceptable" they would lose much of their appeal to criminals and the rates of pedophilia and rape would decrease."
There is no evidence to back this up. This can open doors for adults to manipulate children (15) into having legal sex. However I make not argument or attempt to solidify my claim. I only show that your claim is unreliable.

"In social psychology the boomerang effect refers to a persuasive form of communication sent to a receiver, yet returned back with the opposite reaction. Thus, the consequential result is not the original, intended message."
This only applies to limited situations. If I tell you that you are aloud to take all of my money does that mean you will be less likely to do it?

"In a more sexual culture, things such as ephebophilia, beastiality, and public nudity would be more accepted. It's important that these become acceptable because they're victimless crimes"
I have already addressed the problem with ephebophilia. See argument on maturity of teens. As for the other two I have no comment.

"Sexual repression leads to lack of sexual education."
In my opinion, we are adequately educated on sex in most parts of our country.

"... and molestation"
I don't understand your argument that sexualization will lead to a decrease of molestation or rape. you have no evidence except your psychological boomerang argument. As for the other claims I have already clearly made my point as to why this is not the case.

"Lack of education causes unnecessary negative treatment toward homosexuals, trans people, and, for lack of a better term, sluts"
As of right now I don't have a strong rebuttal except for to say you have no evidence to back up your claim. I would like to see you please expand on how you think that a lack of sexual education will change how our culture views sex.
mycahrshelton

Pro

mycahrshelton forfeited this round.
footballchris561

Con

I extend my argument and hope my opponent returns. If he returns I will make rebuttals in my final argument.
mycahrshelton

Pro

mycahrshelton forfeited this round.
footballchris561

Con

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited making this a win for me. Vote con.
Posted by footballchris561 1 year ago
footballchris561
Sorry. You should be carful how you use the word ignorance. It is usually taken as an insult as I did at first.
Posted by mycahrshelton 1 year ago
mycahrshelton
Uhmm... I was defending you.
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 1 year ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
@Jack: The worrying thing about this is that it doesn't look like a troll debate.
Posted by footballchris561 1 year ago
footballchris561
Calling me ignorant is not going to win you conduct.
I would like to know where you think I tried to rebut any of your arguments in R2.
Posted by mycahrshelton 1 year ago
mycahrshelton
Nope, first rebuttal is for round 3.
Posted by footballchris561 1 year ago
footballchris561
I read your argument but don't have time to post mine yet I will though tomorrow. Just making sure but no rebuttals in the second round?
Posted by JackOfDiamonds 1 year ago
JackOfDiamonds
I feel like this is just plain trolling...
Posted by mycahrshelton 1 year ago
mycahrshelton
You have to be at least 18 and have completed at least one debate. Although I have none, I would prefer someone with experience to avoid someone forfeiting all their rounds.
Posted by theisticscuffles 1 year ago
theisticscuffles
I would accept the challenge but it indicates that I'm not able to accept.

What criteria do I need to meet?
Posted by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
Way to help speed up a country's cultural implosion.