HistoryNotHisStory
Captain.America

American must agressive pursue renewable energy sources for automobiles.

HistoryNotHisStory

Pro

In the Seventies the United States reached "Peak Oil" Production. That incident resulted in the long gas lines of the seventies.

We are now or has approached the "Peak Oil" production for the world supply of oil.

As the sources, production and location of new oil diminishes the price of oil will continue to rise. As the price of oil rises at a very high rate, our economy suffers. The price of oil presently effects almost everything in economy. Food distribution, fertilizers for food, retail products, choices in everyday, will be adveresely effected.

One of the first casualties of high oil prices is Starbucks. Recently Starbucks had to close hundreds of store due to low sales. The low sales was caused by less cash on hand by the consumers. Because Starbucks provides "luxury" coffee and epresso, the consumers would rather save their money for gas than purchase coffee.

An electric car is ideal to immeadieately take the US off of its addiction to oil.

We must take action now to or we and our children will suffer the consequences.
Captain.America

Con

Thank you for starting this debate, as I very much wanted to talk about this issue.

"We are now or has approached the "Peak Oil" production for the world supply of oil."

That may be true, but what's stopping us from drilling off of our shores and in ANWR? It will not take 10 years, contrary to liberal talking points. Think I'm just pulling these stats out of my arse? I'm not (http://www.freerepublic.com...).

"As the sources, production and location of new oil diminishes the price of oil will continue to rise. As the price of oil rises at a very high rate, our economy suffers. The price of oil presently effects almost everything in economy. Food distribution, fertilizers for food, retail products, choices in everyday, will be adveresely effected."

I'm not arguing about this, as the effect of high oil prices is clearly taking a toll on Americans in the grocery store and beyond. This, I agree with you on. However, "aggresively pursuing" new fuels and energy can not take place and succeed without something to fuel our cars until said fuel reaches all gas stations. You can rant all you want about "Big Oil™" but when it's all said and done, it won't do a thing to decrease the price of gasoline. In fact, if we tax the oil companies more, as Nancy Pelosi proposes, it'll only increase gas prices.

"One of the first casualties of high oil prices is Starbucks. Recently Starbucks had to close hundreds of store due to low sales. The low sales was caused by less cash on hand by the consumers. Because Starbucks provides "luxury" coffee and epresso, the consumers would rather save their money for gas than purchase coffee."

I'm not disagreeing with you on this, because Starbucks is ABSOLUTELY VITAL to my survival. But if we really want to lower gas prices, our government must drill for oil anywhere it is available, but they should also pursue renewable energies as well. There is no reason we can't do both.

"An electric car is ideal to immeadieately take the US off of its addiction to oil. We must take action now to or we and our children will suffer the consequences."

Right, we must take action. Though I don't really know what particular "action" you have in mind, besides telling people to inflate their tires. We have the potential to produce more oil than Saudi Arabia right here in our own country. There's no reason we can't do it, besides the fact that the environmentalist wackos are crying crocodile tears to Congress about ANWR and our precious shorelines. Other countries are drilling for oil off our coast, why don't the environmentalists go cry to Cuba? Maybe because Cuba doesn't let the environmentalists control our oil intake.

On the electric car, it doesn't matter how agressively we pursue it, if it's not at a low enough price where the average American can afford it, then it won't sell. It's really quite simple. I eagerly await your rebuttal.

Captain America
HistoryNotHisStory

Pro

My fellow American,

In your rebuff of my argument you offer off-shore drilling as a solution.

"That may be true, but what's stopping us from drilling off of our shores and in ANWR? It will not take 10 years, contrary to liberal talking points. Think I'm just pulling these stats out of my arse? I'm not (http://www.freerepublic.com......)."

Off-shore drilling is not a solution. Using a a quote from one lone oil company will not reduce the price of oil. The Department of Energy - Energy Information Administration states that off-shore drilling will not have a significant impact on domestic crude oil and natural gas production or prices before 2030." See the following link: http://www.eia.doe.gov...

The U.S. obtains 60% of its oil from foreign countries; 40% of the oil is produced domestically. You are falsely asserts that:

"We have the potential to produce more oil than Saudi Arabia right here in our own country."

The United States does not have the oil reserves that Saudi Arabia has. The United States has 11 years of Oil Reserves left while the Saudis has 81 years of oil reserves left. In 2007, the Saudis produced 10.2 billions barrels of oil per day. In 2009, they are expected to produce 12.9 billion barrels of oil per day. On the contrary the United States in 2007, produced 5 billion barrels per day. Therefore, we do not have the ability to produce more oil than Saudi Arabia. Your statement goes against basic math and logic. http://www.eia.doe.gov...

With respect to your statement on Electric Vehicles:

"...it doesn't matter how agressively we pursue it, if it's not at a low enough price where the average American can afford it, then it won't sell. It's really quite simple. I eagerly await your rebuttal.

The continuing high price of gasoline has made the electric car more affordable. Presently, the Electric Car has not been produced at a mass scale. The truth of the matter is that you do not equate the cost to own, operate and maintain a vehicle with the original price of a car. The Saturn eV in 1999 was leased for $300 per month. Accounting for inflation, that leased price now would equal $380 per month. Considering, that most Americans such as myself ar spending more than $200 per month for gas, $400 per month sounds economical. Furthermore, as the demand for these car will undoubtedly go up, the price will go down (Law of Supply & Demand).

In addition, a car that runs on compressed air will be produced in the United States, India, and London and is cited for release in 2010 will cost $17,000. http://zeropollutionmotors.us...

There are too many proven technologies that is available for the United States to remain dependent on oil.

Maintain an Oil Economy also means maintaing the oil wells, shipping routes, and stability of the Middle East. This has come at the cost of trillions of dollars and at the expense of American lives.

American cannot wait until the year 2030 for prices to effectively go down. We must act now.
Captain.America

Con

And I ask you again, my friend, why can we not do both? Even if what you say is true, what is it going to harm to drill off our shores and in ANWR?

"Off-shore drilling is not a solution. Using a a quote from one lone oil company will not reduce the price of oil. The Department of Energy - Energy Information Administration states that off-shore drilling will not have a significant impact on domestic crude oil and natural gas production or prices before 2030." See the following link: http://www.eia.doe.gov...;

I never said it was a solution. Offshore drilling will give us a steady supply of American oil while giving time for alternative fuels and such to reach the standard American consumer. If you're so confident in the current alternative energies (not the ones that are in development) why not stop drilling and buying oil right now, eh? If we did that for one week, our economy would plummet, and, yes, the word "plummet" is a vast understatement. I hate using oil as much as you do, my friend. I would much rather be driving a car with fuel I know is clean, cheap, and efficient. But in this day and age, there simply is none. Hence, drilling.

"The United States does not have the oil reserves that Saudi Arabia has. The United States has 11 years of Oil Reserves left while the Saudis has 81 years of oil reserves left. In 2007, the Saudis produced 10.2 billions barrels of oil per day. In 2009, they are expected to produce 12.9 billion barrels of oil per day. On the contrary the United States in 2007, produced 5 billion barrels per day. Therefore, we do not have the ability to produce more oil than Saudi Arabia. Your statement goes against basic math and logic. http://www.eia.doe.gov...;

Did anyone else notice the word "potential" in my statement? I never said we can produce as much as the Saudis in our current state, but if we tap in to the oil in Alaska, ANWR, the coasts, even Antarctica, then we can produce a vast amount of oil that may not be more than the Saudis, I'll give you that. But it will be enough to fuel our cars until we can mass-produce alternative energy and alternative energy vehicles.

"The continuing high price of gasoline has made the electric car more affordable. Presently, the Electric Car has not been produced at a mass scale. The truth of the matter is that you do not equate the cost to own, operate and maintain a vehicle with the original price of a car. The Saturn eV in 1999 was leased for $300 per month. Accounting for inflation, that leased price now would equal $380 per month. Considering, that most Americans such as myself ar spending more than $200 per month for gas, $400 per month sounds economical. Furthermore, as the demand for these car will undoubtedly go up, the price will go down (Law of Supply & Demand)."

I'm not disagreeing on whether one should buy the electric car. If people want to buy an EV, then by all means, let them. I think the electric car is a great asset. I'm simply pointing out that if people aren't comfortable with the electric car, it won't sell. It's not the fault of Republicans, Democrats, or Whigs, it's just the free market saying "No".

Again, if there are so many technologies available, then why not shut down all drilling and importation of oil, say, tommorow?

I also realize the subject of this debate is "American must agressive pursue renewable energy sources for automobiles.", but for what you say to happen we must get off of oil now, which is simply impossible at this point. I don't disagree that we should pursue renewable energy. I do dispute the methods ou propose for weening ourselves off of oil, which is to cut off oil completely.

Captain America
HistoryNotHisStory

Pro

HistoryNotHisStory forfeited this round.
Captain.America

Con

My opponent concedes the debate with no retort to my arguments.

Vote Con!

Captain America

PS:100 charachterssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Posted by emjayjohnson3279 9 years ago
emjayjohnson3279
I'm with you batman guy, I think there are great solutions to the energy crisis we have not yet explored, such as the trash to plasma to electricity and fuel (check out popsci under plasma converter, takes trash superheats it and makes ethanol for $.80 to the gallon and electricity and produces no pollution). It is utterly unamerican to continue relying on oil. We could end the war on terrorism without fighting if we wanted. Its not global warming or high gas prices that concern me it is the money we are giving the terrorists.
Posted by HistoryNotHisStory 9 years ago
HistoryNotHisStory
Over a long weekend, I forget to reply to his comments.

But Vote for HistoryNotHisStory!
Posted by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Brian: The Tesla that everyone's going on about out-accelerates nearly all petrol powered cars.
Apparently the sound it makes when you put your foot down is akin to a quiet jet-turbine.
By all accounts, everyone loves it.

As a petrol-head you must know of the Atom.
This electric Ariel Atom probably has greater acceleration than any production car:

They reckon they're going to make it into a production car: http://www.wrightspeed.com...
Posted by Rezzealaux 9 years ago
Rezzealaux
HELL YEAH TESLA ROADSTER!!! :D
And it looks sexier than most other production cars I've seen too~
HistoryNotHisStory
IF YOU LIKE SPORTSCARS,

THEN LOOK AT THE TESLA ELECTRIC SPORTSCAR.

WWW.TESLAMOTORS.COM

AN ELECTRIC CAR HAS A MUCH FASTER ACCELERATION THAN A GAS COMBUSTIBLE ENGINE.
HistoryNotHisStory
ANWR

ARTIC NATURAL WILDLIFE REFUGE
Posted by brian_eggleston 9 years ago
brian_eggleston
I have a huge personal dilemma with this issue. I have been an active environmentalist since I was 14 years old yet have been a "petrol-head" (a lover of fast cars) even longer.

Unfortunately, an electrically-powered three-wheeled car doesn't stimulate the same amount of adrenaline (or elicit as many admiring glances) as a mid-engined twin-turbo V10-powered convertible supercar.

When you shift down into third, put the peddle to the metal and listen to the vicious howl of the highly-tuned, race-bred engine of a Lambo Gallardo Spyder as it reverberates off the walls of an Alpine tunnel wall, you get a much bigger rush than when you stab fruitlessly on the accelerator peddle of an electric car in a frantic effort not to be overtaken by old lady on a bicycle!
Posted by Rezzealaux 9 years ago
Rezzealaux
Someone tell me what ANWR means?
Posted by Rezzealaux 9 years ago
Rezzealaux
We're already going to suffer the consequences.
Vote Placed by UptownBrown 9 years ago
UptownBrown
HistoryNotHisStoryCaptain.AmericaTied
Vote Placed by ANSmith 9 years ago
ANSmith
HistoryNotHisStoryCaptain.AmericaTied
Vote Placed by emjayjohnson3279 9 years ago
emjayjohnson3279
HistoryNotHisStoryCaptain.AmericaTied
Vote Placed by HistoryNotHisStory 9 years ago
HistoryNotHisStory
HistoryNotHisStoryCaptain.AmericaTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
HistoryNotHisStoryCaptain.AmericaTied
Vote Placed by Captain.America 9 years ago
Captain.America
HistoryNotHisStoryCaptain.AmericaTied