sengejuri
Dynasty2468

Americans Should Only be Allowed to Own Guns if They are Properly Trained

sengejuri

Pro

Americans should only be allowed to own guns under the second amendment if they are properly trained and certified on how to maintain, fire, and maneuver with them. No semantics please.

Round 1 - acceptance only (no arguments)
Round 2 - opening arguments
Round 3 - rebuttals, conclusion
Dynasty2468

Con

I accept

P.S Sometimes I might have some typos, so I apology for any inconvenience.
sengejuri

Pro

The intent of my position is to demonstrate that it would be a good idea for the government to ensure people are properly trained and certified before being allowed to purchase a firearm.

First, the constitution labels gun owners as a "well regulated militia" in the Second Amendment. The term "well regulated" implies that the right to keep and bear arms comes with the responsibility to maintain a high level of training.

Second, rights are no longer protected if they infringe on other peoples' rights or endangers their safety. Gun owners (myself included) own weapons for personal protection in many cases. Many who support a limitless Second Amendment often exclaim that more "good guys" with guns will help reduce crime. I tend to agree. However, such weapons in untrained and unfamiliar hands only compounds the potential danger to innocent bystanders in any situation where they would be used. Consider any of the mass shootings in schools or malls over the past 20 years. One untrained person trying to do the right thing and neutralize the shooter would actually make the situation worse, let alone several untrained people. Such do gooders would have a high chance of missing the shooter and hitting an innocent person, especially in a crowded area. It takes a lot of practice to suppress panic instincts and shoot accurately while under stress. For this reason, i propose it would be a good idea if the government ensured people received proper training before buying a gun
Dynasty2468

Con

I think the right to own guns should be abolished. Let me cite the Second Amendment. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The security of a free state, not the security of a person. Back in the day when USA was a young country, they were constantly under threat of other European superpowers, such as Spain and Great Britain. So owning a gun was a great idea during that time. Why? When a foreign country invade America, they could gather the militia, form an army, and defend their land. Now we have US army, USAF, US marine, US Navy, etc. So what's the point of owning a gun when we have the armies protect us?
Now to the security of a person. There's many evil people out there who like to do evil stuff, such as rape, stealing, killing, etc. You can defend yourself without a gun. Ever heard of knife? You can get those at Walmart. Even if you don't have a knife, why not just go to the martial art class?
sengejuri

Pro

I thank Con for their response. I was expecting to debate a Pro-gun person who favors unlimited application of the Second Amendment. I did not wish for this to be a strict guns vs. no guns debate. That is my fault for not structuring the debate properly. I still disagree with my opponent's position though, so I will continue with my rebuttal and conclusion.

First, Con suggests that the Second Amendment was meant keep states safe and is now obsolete. As an example, Con explains that 18th Century America required a rapidly deployable citizen army for its defense, which is no longer needed now that we have the US Military. Con overlooks the fact that 18th Century America had an established Army, Navy, and Marines (obviously no Air Force) at the time the Constitution was drafted. Early America did have armies and navies to protect it, yet the founding fathers still saw it necessary to protect the right of the people to bear arms. As part of this argument, Con suggests that the US is no longer threatened by attack as it once was, and therefore the Second Amendment is obsolete. This is untrue. America faces just as many, if not more dangers than it did in 1787. There is neither room nor time to describe them all here. Even if my opponent's claim was true and the US faced no danger, that is still no reason to surrender your rights. The NSA used a similar argument to justify their wire tapping operations - "If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear from us monitoring your cell phone." Con's argument can plug along the same line - "If you have no reason to defend yourself, then you have nothing to fear by abolishing the Second Amendment." Rights exist to protect us in unanticipated circumstances. Just because you have no reason to protect yourself now does not mean you won't 5, 10, or 50 years later. Just because you have nothing to protest right now doesn't mean you should forever surrender your right to assembly. I propose therefore that Con's first argument does not make a convincing case why the Second Amendment is obsolete, nor does it accurately represent modern threat levels. It also does not convincingly explain why we should abolish this right, even if it was no longer immediately necessary.

Second, Con suggests that the text of the Second Amendment applies to the security of the state, not individual people. I propose the correct interpretation of the text is that a state's security is directly linked to the people's right to keep and bear arms. It therefore follows that a state's security is at risk if its people cannot keep arms. For that very reason, I advocate mandating proper training and qualification for all citizens who choose to bear arms, which is what this whole debate is supposed to be about.

Finally, my opponent suggests that if we really need to defend ourselves we should just carry knives or use karate. The problem with this is that knives and karate will not protect you against a bad guy with a gun. If the right to own guns is abolished, bad people will still find ways to carry them. Telling citizens to protect themselves with martial arts is not very comforting in a world where bad guys still have easy access to illegal guns. I would also propose that having a society where everyone carries knives, daggers, and swords around does not seem like a satisfying alternative.

In conclusion, this was not meant to be a debate about whether people should own guns. It was meant to be about whether people who choose to own them should be required to undergo stricter training and qualifications. Nevertheless, I believe my rebuttals have successfully addressed and countered all of Con's arguments. Thank you.
Dynasty2468

Con

FYI)I must admit, I was laughing when you said the word karate. There are variety of martial art. So I guess the counter that...
Rebuttal
1) "Gun owners own weapons for personal protection in many cases" Thieve...rape......etc.... There is a reason why there's CCTV (The security camera), police, and law. I'll keep this short since it's a weak rebuttal.

2)"One untrained person trying to do the right thing and neutralize the shooter would actually make the situation worse" The Pros mention the school. Ok. The teacher is not allowed to carry guns to schools, nor the student. So they're basically defenceless. So what do you want them to do? Surrender and get shot? Or get a lucky hit by throwing a scissor at the shooter?

3) "The state security is directly linked to the people's right to keep and bear arms." Security has nothing to do with the people's right.

4) ".....Not very comforting in a world...." I thought we're talking about America?

5) "I would also propose that having a society where everyone carries knives......around does not seem like a satisfying alternative" Better than nothing.
Nothing else to say. GD
Posted by sengejuri 2 years ago
sengejuri
You can rebut all rounds
Posted by Dynasty2468 2 years ago
Dynasty2468
by rebuttal, do you mean the rebuttal of 2nd and 3rd round or just 2nd?
Posted by sengejuri 2 years ago
sengejuri
It means the specific definitions of things. Not looking to quibble over the definition of "proper training."
Posted by Dynasty2468 2 years ago
Dynasty2468
what does semantic mean?