Americans aren't focusing on the big issues, they only stick with little debates that never end.

Americans usually focus on very little things, such as legalization of marijuana, gay marriage, whether government officials should have to pray before debating. People will even fight outside of politics and just debate for an eternity about whether god is real, evolution, nothing that will change this country, and debates that will never end.

Then it seems like the big things are small to these people, things like minimum wage, medical care, equal rights for all genders and races.

It's pretty obvious we do this, but if anyone want's to debate about it with me, go right ahead.

To start, and I don't mean to be a stickler but, America refers to both North and South America, so when you say Americans what you're referring to are the citizens in both continents. What I think you mean to say is United States Citizens. Anyways, I would argue that the United States is made up of such a diverse crowd that it is hard to even focus peoples attention on big issues like global warming and world hunger. Also, though you claim that United States citizens focus only on the small issues it is important to note the condition of the current media. In short, the news reports on mainly negative happenings around the world EX: road side bombs, murders, robberies, etc. This constant spew of negative happenings in the world give the regular viewer a kind of false depiction of the world. This can lead to a skewed and unchangeable point of view. Another stance I would take is that the issues you perceive as small or less important may be a big issue for someone else, in fact it may be the whole driving force behind a social group. So, I would say that it's not that people aren't focusing on these issues, it's that people are misinformed about the condition of the world in some respects and categories, and that people are apart of different social groups that have differing norms and values. I have more reasons but I feel like this is enough for now.

So, what you're saying is that the legalization of Marijuana is a huge argument, and is big to a certain social group? And you also believe that gay marriage is a big deal? You do realize how moronic marriage is right? A piece of paper really shows that two people love each other a lot. This debate wasn't set up to talk about other topics out of America, I'm talking about what people debate and what people find as the big issues here.

What you're saying is that you believe Americans are debating about big issues now? Yes immigration is a big issue, and yes people are debating about that, but I never hear about how America is turning to corporatism, or how corrupt banks are, and I've rarely ever heard much on the NRA or IRS anymore, it's all this news about wars in the Middle East that aren't even necessary, and you could argue that talking about those wars is a big issue, but people are talking about how we should stay out of one, only to get into another one, we've stopped telling the government to bring our troops home, and the intelligent here want all of them back home.

And besides, do you realize how many Americans also don't get into politics at all? I don't want to have to tell you how many people I've meet that don't care what the government is doing and how many people are being oppressed or exploited, so don't try to tell me that the majority of Americans are arguing about big issues.

Oh, and by the way.

World English Dictionary

- n
1.short for the United States of America
2.Also called: the Americas the American continent, including North, South, and Central America

What I'm saying is that you as an individual have different and values and norms than that of another person. Issues that you find less important hold different weight to other people and other social groups, this is sociology basics. All groups have goals that are based on the groups values and norms. So, while you have one perception what is an important big issue another person will have another perception.

I don't think you quite get what I'm saying, there are bigger things, there are more important things, the legalization of marijuana is only important to druggies. That's one of the smallest issues in existence. What, you think the American people are focused on the big picture? You honestly believe that if we continue fighting over these same things we've been fighting about forever, things will change, people need to focus on corporatism, inequality, and oppression. Not what harmful drugs we should be allowed to take, or who can have a stupid little piece of metal on there finger. Surely you must agree, there's a problem here, and we need bigger, more important things debated over!

I do agree with you to an extent, but that is irrelevant. It's not my place or your place to tell another person what to hold value in or what to care about.
Posted by alyfish126 2 years ago
Really all of the things you mention are 'small things' when relative to the fundamental needs of the human race around the world: prevalence of world hunger, lack of clean water, homelessness. We're in the 21st century, and people are still dying from lack of food, water, and shelter. The BIG picture is not about americans alone. The big picture is out of focus in all of the developed countries.
Posted by Ameliamk1 2 years ago
The question of God is the most important inquiry that can be made...but do you speak of debates on this site or in general?
Posted by EndarkenedRationalist 2 years ago
Gay marriage = small thing
Equal rights = big thing
Posted by PartTimeHipster 2 years ago
I don't even think it's JUST the Americans who think this. A lot of people internationally, are doing the same thing.
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
Like the abortion talking point? We decided that legislation in the 80's, yet were arguing over laws and decisions that were decided over 30 years a go.
Posted by IceClimbers 2 years ago
man i agree with you so much !!!!!!!!!!!! omg you just read my mind..... !!!
Vote Placed by IceClimbers 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: your correct