Aric
abney317

Americans should be forced to wear name tags that say their name and weight.

abney317

Aric

Pro

First of all, I shall describe my proposed name tags. These name tags will have the persons name on it, first and last, along with their weight below it in bold font that is larger than the persons name. The color of the font of the persons weight will be either green, if the doctor describes their weight as healthy, or in red, if the doctor describes their weight as unhealthy. Healthiness or unhealthiness will be measured by the persons body fat percentage, not by the persons weight, as that can prove to be unreliable, as some of the weight may be in muscle or fat. People will be required to have their name tags renewed every six months by a government run facility. (Think of the DMV, but more embarrassing.)

Why would I want this to go into affect?

A) 97 million adults in America are obese. (1) Obesity can cause health complications. (2) It would be wise to try and reduce obesity so Americans can live longer. And it has been shown, that not only does public humiliation cause the victim to change their ways, but it also sets an example for those who could become victims. (3) Ergo, this is an effective way of saving lives. And you know, saving lives is like, good and stuff.

B) It's good for the economy! Fat people cost us some serious money, as you can see here. (4) The obese cost us 22 million dollars alone in heart disease.

C) It would create jobs. While not many, whenever a new business pops up, (in this case the weight center, as I shall refer to them) people need to be hired to run and manage it. And if each community needs a weight center, people are going to be hired in every state to manage them. Let's give ourselves the low low estimate of ten people working each center. There are 3,141 counties in the U.S. If each county has a weight center, that's 31,410 jobs!

I thank whomever accepts this argument.
abney317

Con

The idea wouldn't really go with with a lot of people most likely. Getting every single American citizen to wear a name tag would be pretty hard. It would take a while for everyone to actually get one and many people would never get one. There would be so many protests against it. A person's weight is there own business. There first and last name should also be their own business to give out to whomever they choose.

Some people might be so embarrassed that they would just stay inside alone all the time. Others might for eating disorders because they feel so terrible about their weight.

Overweight people already have enough problems going out in public and that is a good enough reason for a lot of them go lose weight, but adding a name tag with their weight won't change much for a lot of them if they are already okay going out in public.
Aric

Pro

All right, where to begin?

First of all, thank you for accepting my debate. I shall now dissect my opponents arguments.

"The idea wouldn't really go with with a lot of people most likely."

The lack of proof negates this argument. Not to mention, there are lots of things in life that people don't like. Sometimes you just have to suck it up for the greater good.

"Getting every single American citizen to wear a name tag would be pretty hard. It would take a while for everyone to actually get one and many people would never get one."

People would schedule appointments with their county weight center. each person would have a set date to come, and name tags would be made on the spot. After a few months, the U.S will put the law into action the punishes those who do not wear the name tags. Simple, no? If the IRS can mail every single American their stimulus check and succeed, this is almost guaranteed to succeed, as mail is not involved.

"There would be so many protests against it. A person's weight is there own business. There first and last name should also be their own business to give out to whomever they choose."

But don't you think the fate of the public is more important than some people being embarrassed? I'd rather save countless lives. It would be selfish to say that this is an invasion of privacy.

"Some people might be so embarrassed that they would just stay inside alone all the time. Others might for eating disorders because they feel so terrible about their weight."

It is to be expected. But it will help American society on a whole, and if we can help even one person, it's better than never passing the bill. The casualties will be worth the ultimate reward of a healthier and more prosperous society.

"Overweight people already have enough problems going out in public and that is a good enough reason for a lot of them go lose weight, but adding a name tag with their weight won't change much for a lot of them if they are already okay going out in public."

I suggest reading citation four. Public humiliation works. And it will change those who are going out in public, as they now have a badge of shame. It's like the government is telling everyone who looks at them that they are fat and unhealthy.

Overall, good effort, Con.
abney317

Con

"People would schedule appointments with their county weight center. each person would have a set date to come, and name tags would be made on the spot. After a few months, the U.S will put the law into action the punishes those who do not wear the name tags. Simple, no? If the IRS can mail every single American their stimulus check and succeed, this is almost guaranteed to succeed, as mail is not involved."

Not everyone can get the message. There are so many homeless people that cannot get mail and wouldn't be able to get appointments.

"I suggest reading citation four. Public humiliation works. And it will change those who are going out in public, as they now have a badge of shame. It's like the government is telling everyone who looks at them that they are fat and unhealthy."

Aren't they already humiliated enough just by being overweight?

The people who are just a bit overweight and "unhealthy" might not even be at risk according to a very recent study.
http://www.webmd.com...

Many obese people don't ever go out in public anyways, and if they do go out, they are already under enough pressure to lose weight.
Aric

Pro

Wow, round three is upon us.

"Not everyone can get the message. There are so many homeless people that cannot get mail and wouldn't be able to get appointments."

Con, you made a great point there. Unfortunately, homeless people would have to rely on word of mouth. I now would like to amend my previous statement and say that the first two time you're arrested, you get off free and are referred to the nearest weight center. Then the $500 penalties fall into place.

"Aren't they already humiliated enough just by being overweight?"

They are humiliated, sure. But if they become humiliated by not only their peers, but the government, that will surely make them want to lose weight. Not to mention, they are having their weight beingg revealed to everyone around them, which I am sure will cause even more ridicule.

"The people who are just a bit overweight and "unhealthy" might not even be at risk according to a very recent study."

Con, you have enlightened me. I had never realized that people in the overweight category could surpass those in both normal, obese, and underweight. I would like to amend one more statement of mine. The font in which their weight is displayed will be green if they are in normal or overweight, or red, if they are obese, morbidly obese, or underweight.

"Many obese people don't ever go out in public anyways, and if they do go out, they are already under enough pressure to lose weight."

I disagree, the more we pressure them, the more they are going to want to lose weight.

In conclusion, I believe that these name tags will save money in the long run, reduce overcrowding in trauma centers and hospitals, save lives, and create countless jobs. Yes, it may be harsh, but it's proven to be effective.

If you want to save lives and create jobs, vote Pro.
abney317

Con

This debate has gone by quickly.

"They are humiliated, sure. But if they become humiliated by not only their peers, but the government, that will surely make them want to lose weight. Not to mention, they are having their weight beingg revealed to everyone around them, which I am sure will cause even more ridicule."

Some people might not be motivated, and they would just become depressed or end up with eating disorders. We'd end up with just as many health problems as before the name tags.

"Con, you have enlightened me. I had never realized that people in the overweight category could surpass those in both normal, obese, and underweight. I would like to amend one more statement of mine. The font in which their weight is displayed will be green if they are in normal or overweight, or red, if they are obese, morbidly obese, or underweight."

What kind of debate is it if you just change all of your previous statements?

"In conclusion, I believe that these name tags will save money in the long run, reduce overcrowding in trauma centers and hospitals, save lives, and create countless jobs. Yes, it may be harsh, but it's proven to be effective."

If new weight centers are made, they wouldn't be able to make money unless tons of people were getting $500 fines for not going there. The government can't afford to pay all those workers.

Name tags with people's name and weight is an unnecessary step to improve health. People deserve their privacy.
Posted by Teucer32 7 years ago
Teucer32
Aric lost this debate badly. Great job Abney.
Posted by ccstate4peat 7 years ago
ccstate4peat
You need to think about the people with eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia. They have problems with their image and don't want to share their weight with everyone. There is a reason people have eaitng disorders and this would exploit it. Stupid laws like this are bad. Stupid laws include stupid things, like bailouts, but I'll debate that another time.
Posted by Aric 7 years ago
Aric
It's insane I tell you! Four minutes after I wrote it and it's accepted. Christ, I didn't even get to put my citations in. XD
Posted by 18freckles 7 years ago
18freckles
abney317 your a stinker i was looking at this debate and i was about to accept then all of a sudden you take it> i guess its first come first serve
Vote Placed by untitled_entity 7 years ago
untitled_entity
Aricabney317Tied
Vote Placed by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
Aricabney317Tied
Vote Placed by Teucer32 7 years ago
Teucer32
Aricabney317Tied
Vote Placed by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
Aricabney317Tied
Vote Placed by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
Aricabney317Tied
Vote Placed by abney317 7 years ago
abney317
Aricabney317Tied