Bogs
Gloryroad

America's Foreign Policy Is Weak

Bogs

Pro

The officially stated goals of the foreign policy of the United States, as mentioned in the Foreign Policy Agenda of the U.S. Department of State, are "to build and sustain a more democratic, secure, and prosperous world for the benefit of the American people and the international community."

What a let down this policy has been.

Hello, and welcome. If you wish to accept this debate, please state your acceptance in the first round, and I will then expand in the second.

Happy debating.
Gloryroad

Con

Hello Pro, and thanks. Could you please define further what you mean by the foreign policy?
Bogs

Pro

Hello friend. Thank you for accepting the debate. I look forward to discussing this matter alongside you.
Admittedly, I may have been somewhat vague as to my meaning of "foreign policy". By this, I was referring to how our country (that being the United States of America) interacts economically with other nations, in particular, foreign aid to those in need.
Please, don't mistake me: I love this country and am a proud citizen. However, when looking at the percentage of our budget allocated to supporting impoverished or needing countries, it becomes clear that our current economic policies fail to address the ever-rising problem that is foreign poverty.

As stated beforehand, the Foreign Policy Agenda states that it is our goal as one of the most powerful nations on earth to "build and sustain a more democratic, secure and prosperous world for the benefit of the American people and the international community." Now, while it is true that America does indeed provide frequent aid, may I direct your attention towards the United Nations Aid pact which transpired in 1970? It was decided that as a part of this pact, a number of countries (including the EU and the United States) would increase the total percentage of budget spend on foreign aid to 0.56% by 2010, and 0.7% by 2015. I will provide a link to the entire documentation below.

http://www.un-documents.net...

From budget reports dating back as far as 2010, it can be seen that we as a country have consistently failed to come near the 0.7% goal, resulting in numerous billions of dollars meant for foreign assistance going elsewhere. At the risk of sounding condescending, it's not as though we cannot afford to increase these statistics either. In 2014 alone, an entire fifth of the budget, 18% of our total GDP was spent on defense and the military. I am a proud supporter of our military, however, this does not deduct from the fact that we have no excuse for failing, time and time again to meet our foreign aid goals. Furthermore, if one were to look at budget reports a second time, military expenditure has been on the rise for the past several years, meaning ultimately, our much needed increase to foreign aid takes a back seat.

This is completely unacceptable. Surely, we have a duty, and obligation as such a worldly figurehead to ensure that no country suffers because of our negligence. In short, our foreign policy is failing in it's promises, meaning that poverty and disaster stricken countries are left in a continual state of suffering simply because of our oversights. We must lead the way and increase our efforts, not only for our sake, but for the sake of the international community, and the world in its entirety.
Gloryroad

Con

Gloryroad forfeited this round.
Bogs

Pro

Gloryroad, as you have unfortunately forfeited, I will refrain from posting any further arguments. Again, thank you for this debate, and know that I eagerly await your response.
America's foreign policy is failing in it's purpose, and should seriously be reviewed and discussed, with massive and appropriate action taking place to account for all of it's past failures.
Gloryroad

Con

Gloryroad forfeited this round.
Bogs

Pro

I am sorry to see your second forfeiture friend. Although our debate was brief, it was enjoyable and I hope that we both came away with a greater knowledge from it. Thank you for your participation, and I hope to again debate you in the future
Gloryroad

Con

Gloryroad forfeited this round.