HaileyL
Toxifrost

America's current education system is a gateway for classism

HaileyL

Pro

America's current education system caters to the needs of a wealthy minority and leaves the majority of Americans cannot afford the education that they need to survive in the real world. Standards for public are non-existent in the status-quo and carrot subsidies like race to the top a have done nothing to fix the problem. The high cost of getting a quality education makes escaping from poverty even harder
Toxifrost

Con

Unfounded Claims
So pro makes the claim that "Americas current education system caters to the needs of a wealthy minority and leaves the majority of Americans cannot afford the education that they need to survive in the real world." This is an unfounded and fallacious argument as basic school education is free and actually mandatory up to a certain age (16 in most states). This type of schooling provides all that is needed to "survive" in the real world. While college is very costly and does help get higher paying jobs this does not necessitate it's type of education for survivial. The initial claim that is caters to the needs of a wealthy minority doesn't actually outline what those needs are or HOW it actually caters to them so it's really not worth responding to.

http://c2.com...
https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov...

This next sentence doesn't actually make sense because of how poorly it's written. I'm sure theres a point in here somewhere but until it's actually apparent I don't think I can even respond to it.

Again I've addressed that there actually is no cost for getting a quality education and considering you've done nothing to define quality I can just discredit this as a subjective argument.

The Education System Inherently Leads to Nothing More Than Knowledge

So on to my own personal arguments.

Classism: A biased or discriminatory attitude based on distinctions made between
social or economic
classes.

Well by this definition and pros assertion then the school system must be teaching them things to have them form a discriminatory attitude towards those in other classes (Keep in mind that this does not mean LOWER classes this means DIFFERENCES in class so by definition poor people could be classist of higher class people.) right? This is plainly false. School does nothing more than to provide knowledge to students in areas such as English, math, science, social studies, art, and technology. Just take a look at required cirriculums for all these states. Nowhere in here is the class that teaches "Poor People Suck" or "Rich People are Awful 101".

http://www.education.state.pa.us...
http://www.michigan.gov...
http://www.usg.edu...;

School doesn't inherintly lead to anything other than the gaining of knowledge. Does going to school help in getting a job and becomming sucessful? Of course! But this does not mean that going to school GUARENTEES you a job. The converse is true also, does NOT going to school hurt your chances of getting a job? Yes but it also doesn't GUARENTEE you won't get one.
HaileyL

Pro

HaileyL forfeited this round.
Toxifrost

Con

I extend my arguments
HaileyL

Pro

HaileyL forfeited this round.
Toxifrost

Con

Pro forfeited vote con.
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Toxifrost
lol youd be surprised how many side discussions take off in comments on this site. My debate in the featured section of the front page has about 109 comments at the moment because of a side debate that erupted between 2 random people.
Posted by HaileyL 1 year ago
HaileyL
Then make some claims in response, because thus far all you've done is criticize. Do you want debate or not? Most people make the most of weak arguments made by their opponents in the actual debate not in the comments.
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Toxifrost
Well I mean as is all you've done is make some claims without actually backing any of it up. Thats why I was just letting you know.
Posted by HaileyL 1 year ago
HaileyL
I wouldn't have stated it if I couldn't prove it.
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Toxifrost
I never said I didn't want to I simply was stating the fact that you had the burden of proof.
Posted by HaileyL 1 year ago
HaileyL
If you don't want to then fine, you accepted the challenge
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Toxifrost
Well I mean you do have the burden of proof here so really all I have to do is refute this tiny opening paragraph.
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Toxifrost
Posted by HaileyL 1 year ago
HaileyL
Opening arguments
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Toxifrost
So is first round acceptance or opening arguments cause you only opened this for 3 rounds...