Tobar
calculatedr1sk

America's downward spiral

calculatedr1sk

Tobar

Pro

America I believe is in a medium paced downward spiral. We are destroying ourselves from within, such as unchecked immigration, loss of family fabric and attack on family fabric. Progressive left wing media that is unethical and free to attack anyone with outright lies, without any recourse. Anyone opinion that is not mainstream seems to be "radical" or not "tolerant", which is a form of attack on ones beliefs and freedom of speech. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this issue
calculatedr1sk

Con

I thank my opponent for starting the debate.

The Resolution: At issue in this debate is whether or not the United States is in a “medium downward spiral”. My opponent will argue that it is, and I will argue that it is not.

Pro’s Argument: I will begin by rebutting Pro’s three points one at a time.

1) We are destroying ourselves from within, such as unchecked immigration, loss of family fabric and attack on family fabric.

1. Unchecked immigration: evidence does not support this. The number of unauthorized resident aliens has held relatively constant for several years at around 11.5 million, as page 18 of the congressional research report clearly shows [1]. Additionally, border patrol apprehensions have fallen off drastically since about 2005, and haven’t been at their peak since 1986, as shown on page 12 [1].

2. Loss of family fabric: divorce has actually been slowly trending down over the decades since the 60’s and 70’s - along with marriage rates and birth rates to some degree [2]. Ironically for Pro’s view, this actually means that our economic prosperity and demographic stability actually relies heavily on immigration to make up the difference.

3. Attack on the family fabric: I’m not sure how to respond to this, since Pro did not make clear who is attacking the family or why. The only attack on families I am aware of is conservative opponents of gay marriage who want to prevent gay parents from marrying, adopting children, and having a family. This talk may be helpful for viewers who have confusion about homosexuality in America [3].

2) Progressive left wing media that is unethical and free to attack anyone with outright lies, without any recourse.

Politicians lie, and get away with it. This is not new. Deceit was not invented by progressive left wingers, though certainly many of them are guilty. Because this is not by any means a new development, it seems unrealistic to list this as a reason to think the USA is in a downward spiral.

3) Anyone opinion that is not mainstream seems to be "radical" or not "tolerant", which is a form of attack on ones beliefs and freedom of speech.

Pro’s concern for the feelings of people who are not mainstream is heartwarming. He may be relieved to know that tolerance for many minorities which have traditionally suffered persecution and injustice has probably never been higher, though the battle is not easy and there is certainly a ways to go. [4] I am delighted that he joins alongside non-mainstreamers, like atheists, in defending their right to free speech and to hold their beliefs without persecution… doesn’t he?

I remind voters that as Con, I’m not obligated to build my case that the USA is cruising along wonderfully (although I can attempt to, if I decide to), all I have to do is strike down the points given by Pro. So far, so good.

1) http://www.fas.org...

2) http://amptoons.com...

3) http://www.ted.com...

4) http://www.tolerance.org...

Tobar

Pro

Tobar forfeited this round.
calculatedr1sk

Con

I was looking forward to my opponent's response, and still hope he provides one. Extend all arguments.
Tobar

Pro

Tobar forfeited this round.
calculatedr1sk

Con

No such luck. Voters, you've been given no unanswered reason to believe that America is in a downward spiral. Since my opponent ff'd, conduct should be straightforward, but I also believe I've won arguments and sources, so I ask for your vote. Thank you for your interest.

America is not done for yet. Puppies.

Vote Placed by Shadowguynick 3 years ago
Shadowguynick
Tobarcalculatedr1skTied
Reasons for voting decision: The puppy convinced me.