GarretKadeDupre
Nels4Tats

An Old Testament Prophecy Has Been Falsified

GarretKadeDupre

Con

Pro's job is to demonstrate that at least 1 prediction made by the Old Testament has been falsified. He will present his opening arguments in this round.

The only explicitly defined rules will be:

1. No discussing votes with voters during Voting Period.
2. No discussing non-meta subject matter in the comments until after Voting Period.

Thanks. My job will be to defend the Old Testament's inerrancy.
Nels4Tats

Pro

"For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will bring upon Tyrus Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and companies, and much people. He shall slay with the sword thy daughters in the field: and he shall make a fort against thee, and cast a mount against thee, and lift up the buckler against thee. And he shall set engines of war against thy walls, and with his axes he shall break down thy towers. By reason of the abundance of his horses their dust shall cover thee: thy walls shall shake at the noise of the horsemen, and of the wheels, and of the chariots, when he shall enter into thy gates, as men enter into a city wherein is made a breach. With the hoofs of his horses shall he tread down all thy streets: he shall slay thy people by the sword, and thy strong garrisons shall go down to the ground. And they shall make a spoil of thy riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise: and they shall break down thy walls, and destroy thy pleasant houses: and they shall lay thy stones and thy timber and thy dust in the midst of the water. And I will cause the noise of thy songs to cease; and the sound of thy harps shall be no more heard. And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD." Ezekiel.26... OLD TESTAMENT...

In this prophecy, God states that Tyrus Nebuchadrezzar would completely destroy the city of Tyre. However the events never came to pass because after a 13 year seige, Nebuchadrezzar withdrew his forces. And even after being conquered and torn down by Alexander the Great 240 years later, Tyre still exists to this day. I believe this is the end of the debate :D My opponent has asked for one old testament prophecy that has been falsified, and it has been give! Thank you and vote pro!

Sources: http://www.biblegateway.com...... This link shows that this text is actually a prophecy against Tyre.
http://rationalwiki.org...
^If you look at that link, you will also see many other bible prophecies which have been false. Have a great day and I hope to see you in a future debate!
GarretKadeDupre

Con

I believe this is the end of the debate :D( … ) Thank you and vote pro!” - my opponent

Lol! Hold your horses there, pal. We're just getting started. :D

In this prophecy, God states that Tyrus Nebuchadrezzar would completely destroy the city of Tyre( … ) However the events never came to pass because after a 13 year seige, Nebuchadrezzar withdrew his forces.” - my opponent

Actually, God does not say that Nebuchadrezzar would completely destroy Tyre. He said “they” will destroy Tyre, in reference to the “many nations” God promised to bring against the city. You quote-mined the middle of a chapter, leaving out this crucial part which came immediately before:

[T]he Sovereign Lord says:

I am against you, Tyre,

and I will bring many nations against you,

like the sea casting up its waves.

They will destroy the walls of Tyre and pull down her towers;

I will scrape away her rubble and make her a bare rock.

Out in the sea she will become a place to spread fishnets,

for I have spoken, declares the Sovereign Lord.

She will become plunder for the nations,

and her settlements on the mainland will be ravaged by the sword.

Then they will know that I am the Lord.

Pay attention to how your verses (which come right after these) switch from saying what “he” (Nebuchadrezzar) will do, to what “they” (the many nations) will do.

The prophecy that Nebuchadrezzar would lay seige to Tyre has been fulfilled, just as you admitted.

Tyre still exists to this day.” - my opponent

My opponent is using an equivocation fallacy here. The city named Tyre that exists today is not the same Tyre of which God said,

I will make thee like the top of a rock:

thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon;

thou shalt be built no more

Historians Meyers & Katzenstein confirm these verses: "Alexander the Great reduced Tyre to ruins in 332 BC.( ... ) the site of the once great city is now as bare as the top of a rock -- a place where the fishermen that still frequent the spot spread their nets to dry."(1)

Trye “was dismantled by Alexander the Great in his famous siege of Tyre and disappeared totally with the change of the coastline( … ).”(2)

I thank my opponent for offering me the chance to demonstrate three successful Old Testament prophecies, and hand the debate back to him.

(1) Phillip Myers, General History for Colleges and High Schools, Boston, Ginn & Co., 2003, 55.

(2) H. Jacob Katzenstein, The history of Tyre, from the beginning of the second millennium B.C.E. until the fall of the Neo b- sBabylonian empire in 539 B.C.E., 1973.

Nels4Tats

Pro

Nels4Tats forfeited this round.
GarretKadeDupre

Con

GarretKadeDupre forfeited this round.
Nels4Tats

Pro

Nels4Tats forfeited this round.
GarretKadeDupre

Con

GarretKadeDupre forfeited this round.
Nels4Tats

Pro

Nels4Tats forfeited this round.
GarretKadeDupre

Con

GarretKadeDupre forfeited this round.
Nels4Tats

Pro

Nels4Tats forfeited this round.