ObiWan
Jessalyn

An adventure advocating the advantages of alliteration

ObiWan

ObiWan

Pro

Alliteration is defined as:
The occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely connected words.

The rules of the debate are as follows:
  • Round 1 is for acceptance
  • In the next three rounds each person will pick 1 letter or sound and produce a piece of writing using alliteration of that letter or sound. You can not change in the middle of a round.
  • I ask voters to judge on quality rather than quantity, i.e. Don't just write gibberish, try to have it make sense
  • You can tell a continuous story in each round but you do not have to.
Please partake in this this daring debate, dedicating to partaking in precise and perfect use of alliterations for an enjoyable afternoon.
Jessalyn

Con

As astonishingly amusing as alliteration is, I am absoltely inclined to accept!
I wish my opponent the best of luck, and very excitedly await his post for Round 1.
ObiWan

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and hopefully it will be good fun.
I will start by recounting a tale of great bravery from tiny heroes:

Armoured Army ants were anchored at Adelaide, anxiously awaiting the arrival of their alligator allies when all of a sudden they were attacked by an anteater with an atrocious appetite.

The anteater antagonised the ants, attacking with an aloof assault. The ants acted admirably in response. They attached apples and asparagus to aircraft and ambushed the anteater in an alleyway.

The anteater went on the offensive, allowing no ants to apprehend it. It began aimlessly assailing the ants and any hope was abandoned. Then the alligators, allies of the army ants, arrived in Adelaide. The alligators were arrogant but aggressive and actively aided their allies, who had been brave in their absence.

The anteater was soon overwhelmed and abandoned it's afternoon of aerobic activity. Instead it ambled back to it's abode and fell asleep for the afternoon. The ants were ecstatic that the attack had abated and all attended an awards event to celebrate the audacious ants and alligators the had, in affect, allowed all to assume amity.

THE END
Jessalyn

Con

Thank you to my opponent for a very interesting read! I love the creative descriptions you used to get your plot across. My story will be continuous throughout the rounds, so please consider this the beginning:

Saba stumbled, seemingly by surprise, upon what was perhaps the messiest scene imaginable—the scene of a sadly successful homicide. A slaughtered soul, sustaining scarlet strangle-marks and severe signs of immense strain, was spotted sprawled in her sunroom. Saba gasped, suddenly stumbling backward in sincere shock at the sight of the scene. In a succinct gesture, she scrambled from the sunroom and toward the closest serviceable phone to swiftly contact officials.

Within what seemed like seconds, police were seen sprightly swarming about the scene of the crime. Some attempted to sustain a salubrious, pacifistic scene, while others focused on studying the vicious slaughter in solemn silence. The corpse seemed to have succumbed as a result of the serious misdeeds it suffered, however the precise cause of cessation could not yet be stated for certain.

ObiWan

Pro

POOH PIGLETT AND NOTHING IN PARTICULAR:

Two of the most important friends of my childhood were Piglett and Pooh, or as Pooh liked it pronounced, Pooh and Piglett (although he was a perfect pacifist and never pointed this out). The two partners played peacefully in their forest, whether it was party games or Poohsticks (http://en.wikipedia.org...) the were perfectly happy together. Pooh also has a passion for poetry and composed many a poem that he performed to Piglett and his other friends. Pooh really was a pioneer for his peers.

Tigger was the prowling, pouncy pal that any kid would proudly play together with. He was pleasant enough, but also persisted in playing where, perhaps, he possibly shouldn't. But what Tigger lacked in politeness he provided for with positively.

Eeyore is the posse's pessimist. He is perpetually opposed to enjoying a perfect life and must point out potential negative possibilities for everything. Eeyore also possesses a proficiency for sarcasm and put-downs.

A.A. Milne's perfect personification of these particular personalities is certainly praise worthy. His prowess for capturing the pictures that play in a child's imagination are preached in a perfectly professionally yet playful recital.

P.s. This debate is positively pleasant for playful puns and perfect prose and is pretty much a fantastic way to pass the time.
Plus it's pleasing to see alliteration performed by my opponent with such prowess.
Jessalyn

Con

Again, what an awesome read! I really enjoyed my opponent's piece. Here I will continue my previously-started story:

Saba suspected that significant consequences would result from the suspect's psychological stir. A sentence of severe sustenance was sure to be sustained by the state for a crime such as this, Saba assumed as officials scanned the quarters for evidence. A single soul spoke to Saba with the utmost sincerity:

“Miss, we're sorry, but as a result of these serious circumstances, we're asking that you leave the scene of the homicide as soon as possible.”
Saba disliked the sound of his unstable proposition and decided to protest.
“Sorry, no! You see, sir, I live in this stable structure, and I see no satisfaction in separating from it!”
The police smiled, silently assuring Saba that she would be secure.
“The station will provide you with safety, security, and anything else you need.”
Saba sighed stepping toward the police car.
“I suppose this is my only choice, isn't it?”
“Yes, indeed, it is. Surely you'll understand, Miss Saba.”
So, with that, Saba secured her most sentimental belongings and set off to the station, solidly-packed suitcase in hand.
“I must not be selfish,” Saba said to herself as she sat in the seat of the police car. “I must allow the scene to be examined.” After a somewhat lengthy ride, Saba scuttled up the steps to her so-called “secure” destination.
Saba was shown to the section of the station where she was supposed to reside. She was served a late supper consisting of spaghetti and sausage, and then sent somberly to her sleeping chamber for some restful slumber. A psychologist was assigned to Saba as a so-called “extra measure” to ensure her sanity and comfort, and sessions were set up with Saba seemingly daily to make the psychologist’s presence crystal clear.

A series of days passed, and Saba slumped on through the especially critical lens of the station workers and psychologist. She slowly grew skeptical of the situation, seeking a better explanation of why she was really residing at the police station under such serious observation. After several more days had passed, Saba came to a stunning realization: she was being secretly examined under extreme scrutiny as a suspect in the homicide! A stone-cold shiver slid down her spine as she suddenly spotted several cameras—cameras that were supposedly recording her every move.
ObiWan

Pro

As this will be my last post I would like to thank my opponent for a fun and interesting debate. My opponent has spun and interesting tale and I'm quite looking forward to seeing how she finishes off the story!

Now, without further ado, my last alliteration:

Duncan, the deadly, deceptive, dastardly dinosaur was Duke of the Domain of Dinotropolis and the dominant leader of the dinosaur army. He was a dastardly dictator, who demanded that the dinosaurs donated thousands of dollars in tax to aid his goal of world domination. The situation seemed rather desolate for the deflated for the denizens of Dinotropolis who were unable to depose of their dictator.

They had tried declaring a democracy, but Duncan had demolished the idea. They had tried denouncing Duncan as a dreadful Duke in an attempt to demonstrate to Duncan that he was disliked. When these plans were defeated they devised more drastic plans. Diana the Diplodocus wanted Duncan decapitated, while Derek, a dainty Deionychus was dedicated to defeating Duncan in a duel.

Despite the disposition they all shared towards Duncan, only Derek was daring enough to defy the dominant leader of the dinosaur army and challenge Duncan to duel him to the death.

And so Derek demanded that Duncan duel with him to denounce anyone from deriving that Duncan was distrustful. Duncan had dominated the last decade of dinosaur duel tournaments and declared that he would definitely defeat Derek.

At last the day of the duel dawned. After much preparation Derek felt ready for his daunting duel with Duncan. The dinosaurs entered Dinotropolis's only dojo. It was packed with dinosaurs, daring to support Derek despite Duncan’s deadly presence. The duelers both decided to decline the offered daggers. It was dinosaur against dinosaur.

Both duelers dwelled in their corners, where their coaches departed last minute advice. Then Duncan decided to draw up to his full height and defy Derek to dash at him. Both dinosaurs dared not do anything drastic as the duel began. They drew their claws along the dojo's floor or displayed dangerously sharp teeth.

The duel seemed like it was going to drag all day. Both dinosaurs danced around the dojo, dashing and diving at each other. Then suddenly Derek dove at Duncan, drawing his legs out and bringing him down. Derek quickly dove on top of Duncan, denying a response.

Despite the duel being to the death, Derek decided he didn't want to dispose of Duncan. Instead Duncan was driven out the door and designated his own cell in the Dinotropolis Detention Center. Derek, the delightful, daring, decent dinosaur became Duke of Dinotropolis and the denizens delighted in the new democracy.

Jessalyn

Con

Thank you to my opponent for this superbly delightful debate! I must say that I have very much enjoyed it, and have found myself obsessively implementing alliteration into my everyday conversations. All of my opponent's works have been very entertaining, and I am very glad to have both read them and written my own in a very creative debate.

Saba squirmed as she sat; sadly allowing her sudden realizations soak in. How had she allowed herself to unknowingly stumble into such a silly snare? Suddenly skeptical of the soundness of her psychological state, Saba reflected on the night of the homicide. Surely she wasn’t responsible for the slaughter—such a small and innocent woman could never sin so seriously! The corpse in Saba’s sunroom had somehow been enslaved by a superior force, only to meet its demise in a spurting, scarlet mess.

“Why did such a gruesome sight make my sunroom its setting?” Saba asked herself, straining to recollect the events preceding the second she spotted the scene. She sorely stood up from her spot on the station floor and sauntered around the room, hoping to come to some sort of conclusion before the issue surfaced in her next psychologist’s session. As she paced, she sought to recall precisely what had taken place the night she saw the homicide. She remembered that she had spoken with her husband, and— suddenly she was scared. Somehow she had forgotten entirely about her husband! She had survived severe stress and sadness without even the slightest thought of Seabert or the life they had shared.

Silently and slowly, with the severest of shock, Saba remembered.
She remembered the disagreement, the squabble, the spoken words and the struggle. She remembered the swearing and the swinging, the shedding of tears…The shedding of blood. Saba reflected on the rage, the hostility, the splitting sayings that smashed sorrow into her heart; the superbly accessible string seeming to signal her from the sunroom. She remembered the screams, the struggling, the scratching of fingernails on the floor, the gasping for air, and the desperation swimming in her husband’s eyes as he took his last breaths. She remembered the satisfaction of stealing Seabert’s future and his past, and smiling as she put him to rest in a scarlet strangle-scene. Saba remembered everything, sparing no memory—neither shocking nor subtle.

Saba screamed in horror as she sped through the scarring seconds of her husband's demise. In a scared panic, she scoured the closet for her purse. She knew the station-workers would be stampeding into her room at any second in search of the source of the screams, so she forced herself to act faster than usual. After several seconds of panicked searching, Saba siezed the scarlet-stained string she had strangled her husband with on the night of the homicide. In a psychotic scramble, she affixed the string to the closet ceiling and shakily stood on a swivel chair.

"I have no choice," Saba whispered as she slipped the string around her neck. "It's either this or a prison sentence." Suddenly she could hear the footsteps of the station-workersfootsteps that sent shivers down her spine. They were coming. "This is it," Saba stuttered as she began to step one foot off the swivel chair. Slowly and silently, Saba sucked in a deep breath...And made the jump.

Posted by baggins 5 years ago
baggins
Criticism of the story sounds rather harsh in my RFD. The story was not that bad - I was trying to list all words with 'P'.

I do think that the story was not very suitable for this debate. Use of alliteration diminishes the poignancy of story. It would have been better to chose some story with humour.
Posted by ObiWan 5 years ago
ObiWan
Alliteration is Truly Terrific!
Posted by Jessalyn 5 years ago
Jessalyn
This is fun! I absolutely adore alliteration.
Vote Placed by baggins 5 years ago
baggins
ObiWanJessalynTied
Reasons for voting decision: Adversaries amazed audience with accomplished application of alliterations. 4:3 to Pro as plot presented by opposition petered out as prosaic, pedestrian and predictable.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
ObiWanJessalynTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both did too well! I can't decide!
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
ObiWanJessalynTied
Reasons for voting decision: this debate seems to be a spectacle of who could use alliteration the best. Both sides performed very well with no clear winner, so I am awarding 3 points to each side since they both did so well.