patrick967
malmoore30

An atheist President would be okay

patrick967

patrick967

Pro

I am redoing this debate because my last opponent forfeited. For this debate, we're going to be talking about an atheist who is not anti-religion or an extremist. You can't use any arguments like "They would outlaw religion/destroy freedom of religion," maybe "They would shove their beliefs onto the nation," or "It's against the pledge." All of these are either slippery slope or just stupid arguments.

Setup:
Round 1- Acceptance
Round 2- Arguments/Rebuttals
Round 3- Arguments/Rebuttals
Round 4- Rebuttals/Closing statements

Good luck to my opponent.
malmoore30

Con

An Atheist in my opinion should not be president due to the fact that freedom of religion and freedom of speech would also be broken. Also even though many feel that being an atheist isn't a religion, it is classified in one. Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Atheism is the belief that science and proof of theory is key. Key word being Belief.
patrick967

Pro

I would like to point out that my opponent has plagiarized Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org...) and broken the rules I made in the first round.

"An Atheist in my opinion should not be president due to the fact that freedom of religion and freedom of speech would also be broken."
By electing an atheist President, the US is not prohibiting anyone from practicing their religion, so how would it break freedom of religion? Where'd you get freedom of speech from?

"Also even though many feel that being an atheist isn't a religion, it is classified in one. Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Atheism is the belief that science and proof of theory is key. Key word being Belief."
So any belief I hold makes it a religion? That makes no sense. Maybe you should explain it to the IRS, 'cause I don't see them exempting us from taxes.

My argument is that an atheist President would be okay because an atheist is just like anyone else on the planet, they just don't believe in a two thousand year old myth. We're not evil child abusing wife beating stealing prostitutes. We're people, too.

malmoore30

Con

malmoore30 forfeited this round.
patrick967

Pro

Since con has made no arguments I will present some he might make.

1. Morality
Atheists don't have morals, so they'd make a bad President! Well, considering my last point about us not being serial killers, I'd say we have morals. The Red Cross, The Foundation Beyond Belief, and Doctors Beyond Borders are all some non-religious charaties. In fact, I'd say that one of the only reasons churches do so much is that they want to "spread the word," and avoid their hell. Here's a little quote from a link I found (http://www.livescience.com...)
"'Overall, we find that for less religious people, the strength of their emotional connection to another person is critical to whether they will help that person or not,' study co-author and University of California, Berkeley social psychologist Robb Willer said in a statement. 'The more religious, on the other hand, may ground their generosity less in emotion, and more in other factors such as doctrine, a communal identity, or reputational concerns.'"
Just going to go out on a limb here and say that the Bible isn't exactly a great moral standard.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29- “If a man meets a virgin who is not betrothed, and seizes her and lies with her, and they are found, then the man who lay with her shall give to the father of the young woman fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has violated her. He may not divorce her all his days."

Numbers 31:17-31:18- "Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every women that hath known a man by lying with him. But all the women children that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Sorry for the lack of possible arguments but I had only a short time to construct this. I hope my opponent returns.
malmoore30

Con

malmoore30 forfeited this round.
patrick967

Pro

Shame con couldn't be back. Another debate, another forfeit. Please vote pro.
malmoore30

Con

malmoore30 forfeited this round.
Posted by TheDebateMaster1 2 years ago
TheDebateMaster1
I am an atheist myself and take great insult from this post. We're normal people too
Posted by patrick967 2 years ago
patrick967
Okay in the sense that when the President's term was over the USA would still exist.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Tempted to take it. If it isn't accepted in a few days, I'll accept.
Posted by Daltonian 2 years ago
Daltonian
I was tempted to accept this debate on the merit that "an atheist president would be GREAT" rather than "okay", but I resisted, lol.
Posted by ricksterpr0 2 years ago
ricksterpr0
why would atheism be a problem in the first place?
Posted by KhalifV 2 years ago
KhalifV
Thomas Paine over everything!! There should not be a problem with an atheist president, but there probably won't be one for a while :(. I'd expect a gay one before we see an atheist one.
Posted by Free_Th1nker 2 years ago
Free_Th1nker
Thomas Jefferson was most likely a deist, but believed in secularism above all things.
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
Thomas Jefferson wasn't religious
Vote Placed by distraff 2 years ago
distraff
patrick967malmoore30Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con plagiarized and forfeited. All of pro's arguments went unrefuted. Conduct and arguments go to Pro.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
patrick967malmoore30Tied
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
patrick967malmoore30Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
patrick967malmoore30Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture