An electric car is better than a gas/diesel car

I am no car expert but i believe that nowadays we should be using cars run by electricity (or battery charged) rather than cars run by gas.

I await my opponent's acceptance.

Good luck :)

I accept and look forward to your first arguments.

Good luck!

GeorgiaAshley forfeited this round.

Since my opponent has forfeited round 2, I will be brief and simply introduce the main issues with electric cars:

Electricity costs depend heavily on both location and time of use and can vary drastically. Of course EV users will fuel up on non-peak hours, but this may not always be practical. Costs per kWh range from 8 to 55 cents.[1] In addition, the cost of traditionally fuel, by comparison, is usually heavily taxed.

Battery replacement costs are estimated to be at least 9,000$. [2]

Range is limited compared to gasoline cars, something like 100 miles [3]

Recharge time varies, but is much longer than what customers are used to [4]

The charging time can range from 15 minutes to 20 hours or more, depending on these factors.

I will address environmental issues in the next round if necessary.

My apologies for my non participation in the previous round. Although I do not wish to make excuses, this was due to some work issues.
I will try my best to make up for it in this last round though.

Electric cars vs Gas cars.
A hot debate topic thrown around for a long time now, but has anyone come to any real conclusions to state that electric cars are our future?
Here you go.

I rest my case.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that a progressive news site is running a story touting electric vehicles. But does the article in Pro's source carry the burden of proof? Pro's resolution implies that an electric car is better than a gas/diesel car right now, not in the future. The huffpost article does not make this claim. Instead the article states:

So here are a few of the reasons that I have learned that lead me to believe that within 50 years a majority of our cars will be equipped with electric drivetrains.

The article then lists six reasons. Pro has not included these reasons in the debate so I question the need to refute them, but none-the-less, I'll do it anyway.

1. Electric vehicles are more efficient at turning energy into miles

This is true but completely ignores the energy required to turn another fuel source into electricity and get that electricity to it's destination. In addition, only some consumers care about this. Also, as I showed in round 2, electricity costs vary wildly and are dependent on time of day.

2. Electric vehicles are greener than gasoline-powered cars

That depends on a number of factors [1] as wikipedia states:

"The study found that in areas where electricity is generated from natural gas, nuclear, hydroelectric or other renewable sources, the potential of plug-in electric cars to reduce greenhouse emissions is significant. On the other hand, in regions where a high proportion of power is generated from coal, hybrid electric cars produce less CO2 emissions than plug-in electric cars, and the best fuel efficient gasoline-powered subcompact car produces slightly less emissions than a plug-in car"

Coal still produces about 45% of the electricity in our country which significantly mitigates the greenness of EV's.[2]

3. Electric vehicles have the potential to support the U.S. economy and reduce our dependence on imported oil

Sure, but oil production itself supports our economy and that production is growing dramatically.[3]

4. An efficient distribution network for electricity already exists in the U.S

An efficient distribution network for auto fuel already exists in the U.S too.

5. Range is less of an issue than most think.

Really? Then why aren't consumers buying the cars? While the author may be correct that the average daily commute is within the range of most workers, are we supposed to own another car for vacations, holidays, etc?

(I skipped #6, because it didn't make much sense to me)

The bottom line is that this authors is only one opinion and the only opinion's that matter are the combined opinions of all drivers. So far, the vast majority of Americans are not buying electric cars. [4]. This is despite the fact the federal government is essentially paying these buyers $7,500 dollars to buy them. The reason is simple. They cost too much, they take too long to charge, they don't go far enough on a charge and consumers fear the cost of battery replacement.

Posted by RiseAgainst 3 years ago
No their not. Electricity = burning of fossil fuels. As much as there's tons of exhaustion coming from automobiles, there is tons more coming from plants that are burning the fossil fuels to supply electric cars. These cars do not simply get electricity from the air. Maybe hydroelectricity?
Vote Placed by johnlubba 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I thnk con derserves the vote for effort.