cowspine8
ProwlerKnight

An extra half an hour of school in exchange for no homework would be better

cowspine8

Pro

Why should the government be interested in whether a school or teacher gives homework to their students or not? The answer is equality "When it comes to homework, the President said it should be done during school hours rather than at home, in order to establish equal opportunities." Mr Peillon the education minister argues "We want a society of justice so we want to have schools that offer everyone the same chance of success" That means accompanying pupils in their personal work rather than abandoning them to their private resources." This means providing half an hour at the end of the day in which to do homework while at school rather than relying on the willingness, and ability, of parents to help. There may however be questions about whether such a proposal will really be possible to implement as written homework was unsuccessfully banned back in 1956.

Although there would be the con of more school, it would be much more organised for child, therefore giving them time to relax, revise, meet with their friends and go to more after school activities.
ProwlerKnight

Con

I will accept this argument

Basically what you are saying is a child should be assisted in his homework rather then sent home with it to do on his own.

I disagree because sending a child home with homework teaches them responsibility. If we were to do this then children will slowly learn to rely on teachers rather then themselves, which is bad enough since children are becomming less responsible and more ignorant. So no I don't believe we should change the school time frame so kids can go home without homework and probably jump right into video games or facebook.

Also putting more responsibility on the teachers and less onto the parents isn't right, Parents should be responsible enough to take interest in their kids education, not put it off for the teachers.

I agree that kids need more help but Homework isn't just to increase their intellect, it's to help them to learn responsibilities outside a facility, plus not to mention certian careers and jobs require work to be brought home, which is what HOMEwork is trying to teach kids, to sacrifice time and pleasure so they can better their future.

Plus schools provide a class known as Study Hall, where students are given time to work on any homework they have in the confines of the school itself, remember there are only three electives needed throughout school, Math, English, and History, and Jr High and High school usually gives you seven classes, so there's four spare classes to mix and choose, I would suggest if you want to work more on helping kids learn, then make study hall one of their basic classes, don't put an extra half-hour on the school time-frame to do the same thing that Study Halls during school.
cowspine8

Pro

I am not saying that the child should be assisted in the homework, but just the extra half an hour to do the homework. They have more resources at the school and if they dont understand they have others to talk to (friends etc). You seem to talk a lot about responsibility, there are a lot more chances for responsibility. Food tech, looking after school pets, revision etc. Not all schools have study halls either. Study halls in the UK are actually very uncommon, and the extra half an hour would be very helpful. Even if the extra half an hour was only three days a week.
ProwlerKnight

Con

I understand your point and return to one of mine that I think may be a key issue.

Like I said some careers entitle sacrificing your time outside of work to finish a project or papers, and that's the one thing that Homework teaches you at a very young age, the responsibility of sacrifing time and putting effort into something to better your future. I mean I actually never did homework as a kid, never like too, so I can see where the extra half-hour would be beneficial, but I've also grown up alot to see what the schools were really trying to teach.

So to take away that factor of homework is slowly taking away from a preparing a kid for the future, which I'm not for sure about the UK but in the US, is a major issue, kids are lacking the discipline as it is, to take away more of the responsibility would be a bigger setback then you realise.
cowspine8

Pro

cowspine8 forfeited this round.
ProwlerKnight

Con

It's is clear to me that my opponent sees my point I am trying to convey. Vote for Con
cowspine8

Pro

cowspine8 forfeited this round.
Posted by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
Maybe.