Capitalistslave
MinesomeMC

Anarcho-capitalism is an oxy-moron

MinesomeMC has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Capitalistslave

Pro

I don't feel like starting the argument now, so use the first argument as just acceptance of the debate please.
MinesomeMC

Con

It is not an oxymoron its a rebellion, Lets keep democracy as its a good form of freedom. We aren't getting beaten. Are government is not corrupt and its a great country so lets keep it that way.
Capitalistslave

Pro

Okay, I'll explain how anarcho-capitalism is an oxy-moron.

To best get an idea on what anarchism is, we must first turn to the very first anarchists. Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, one such anarchist thinker, defined anarchy as "the absence of a master, of a sovereign." ( What is Property p. 264)

To quote L. Susan Brown, who is a modern anarchist, "While the popular understanding of anarchism is of a violent, anti-State movement, anarchism is a much more subtle and nuanced tradition then a simple opposition to government power. Anarchists oppose the idea that power and domination are necessary for society, and instead advocate more co-operative, anti-hierarchical forms of social, political and economic organisation." (The Politics of Individualism, p. 106)

Both of these definitions are consistent. On one hand, it is argued to be without a master or a sovereign, on the other it is said to be anti-hierarchical. Hierarchy naturally has sovereigns. Capitalism, in and of itself, is hierarchical. You have, on one end, the capitalist business owners, and on the other, the workers. One of capitalism's prime characteristics, is to have private property and private ownership of the means of production. When a few people own the means of production, this naturally puts them above us in hierarchy, as we are dependent upon them to give us a wage or a means by which we can live. The capitalist business owner controls a part of our lives, as they set the rules for the company all without consent of the workers there.

Before I get side-tracked, the fact that capitalism is hierarchical, means it is incompatible with anarchism, which seeks to end all forms of hierarchy, or as Proudhon said to have "the absence of a master, of a sovereign". Capitalist business owners are clearly our sovereigns, as they control what we buy, they control the means of production, they control how we act, etc.

In addition, capitalism cannot naturally exist without the state as an aid. because the state is the one which enforces private property rights. If you got rid of the state, there would be no one to protect your private property, and capitalism would then cease to exist as people and workers would take over the means of production and private property.
MinesomeMC

Con

I'm having Post issues, but it wont work!
Capitalistslave

Pro

Ok, well to be fair, I suppose I'll waste this argument too since you didn't get to argue.
MinesomeMC

Con

The idea seems pretty utopic to me, but I may very well be wrong.
Let's say a business opens a factory right next to the community. They have legitimately bought the land and have not violated any property rights. They begin producing atomic energy and there's a 10% chance (over-dramatized of course) a reactor would explode and if it did, there would be vast property damage and lifes lost in the community. The community does not have the right to sue the company, since they haven't violated any rights before the explosion. So how would this be fixed? Would be great if you'd provide practical solutions.
Seems to be that the practical reality stands above morality in some ways? No hate please, I am just trying to learn and get familiar with the idea. Thanks :)
Capitalistslave

Pro

My opponent said "the community does not have the right to sue the company, since they haven't violated any rights before the explosion." However, if the company didn't inform the citizens of that community in some way that they were producing atomic energy and that there is a chance for an explosion to occur, then there is grounds for suing. How else are the people in that community supposed to have known that there were dangerous substances being produced nearby? They may have chosen not to have lived there to begin with had they have known. If they did know about it, and chose to live there anyways, then I would say there is not a grounds for suing.

Anyways, this seems to be an irrelevant discussion and side tracks from the debate. Did you have something you wanted to argue for why anarcho-capitalism isn't an oxy-moron? You still have yet to address my previous argument.