Chimera
BlackPanther

Anarcho-capitalism isn't anarchist

Chimera
Started: 6/2/2014 Category: Economics

Chimera

Pro

Introduction:

This debate will be centered around the idea that 'anarcho-capitalism' can't seriously call itself an anarchist movement. For the main purpose that:

1) Anarchism is defined as: opposition to authority and hierarchy.

2) Capitalism is centered around hierarchy.

3) Meaning, anarchism is inherently anti-capitalist.

4) Thus, anarcho-capitalism (or capitalism without a state, as they define it) is not anarchist.

The burden of proof for this debate will be shared.

First round is acceptance.
BlackPanther

Con

Chimera

Pro

Opening Argument:

To begin, I would like to thank Con for accepting the debate.

Now, I would like to once again define the term 'anarchism':

Anarchism: the belief in a society with a lack of authority or hierarchy

Again, as I have stated, capitalism goes against this traditional definition of the term. Due to obvious features within capitalism, such as the wage system. Systems such as this enable one man/woman to have control over the means of survival of another man/woman.

Thus meaning that the employee is dependent on their employer for their job, since it is their only current means to acheive a basic standard of living.

So, capitalism (with or without a state) is not anarchist.

I'm sorry, but I will have to keep this argument short due to having a busy schedule. I await Con's argument.

I hope we can have a great debate.
BlackPanther

Con

BlackPanther forfeited this round.
Chimera

Pro

Extend all arguments.
BlackPanther

Con

BlackPanther forfeited this round.
Chimera

Pro

Chimera forfeited this round.
BlackPanther

Con

BlackPanther forfeited this round.
Posted by Chimera 3 years ago
Chimera
@Cold-Mind

Anarchy is the absence of government. Government meaning that one is being governed by another. Anarchy however, is not anti-organization. Anarchy is participatory horizontal organization, and since capitalism functions off of vertical organization, capitalism is incapable of being anarchist in the first place.

The only possible socio-economic system for a truly horizontal society would be communism. That however, is not the point of this debate. The point is that capitalism is not anarchist in general.
Posted by Cold-Mind 3 years ago
Cold-Mind
@Chimera I see the point you are trying to prove, and I agree with it. However, society without authority and hierarchy is incomprehensible. Only meaningful definition of anarchy is "absence of the government".
Capitalism in only possible economic system in anarchy.
Posted by Osiris_Rosenthorne 3 years ago
Osiris_Rosenthorne
Lol, I'm not an anarchist, or a capitalist for that matter, I've always preferred to define myself as human, which I suppose is why I ask :/
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
What type of anarchist, asks for permission?

It's not rude to accept.
Osiris_Rosenthorne
Would you mind if I accepted the challenge? it kinda seems rude to me to do so without asking.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Screw it. I'm inpatient.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
@Chimera, can you directly challenge me to this. So I can have a little flex time with my acceptance?
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
I'm very interested. I'll give this some thought.
Posted by Subutai 3 years ago
Subutai
Would you be interested in taking this debate a few weeks from now? My schedule for the next three weeks will be a little sketchy, and I don't want to get into a debate.
Posted by Chimera 3 years ago
Chimera
@jonathanDJ

Capitalism is based around wage labor correct? There is always an employer and an employee correct? Then is is hierarchical, meaning it is anti-anarchist. That is pretty much the definition of this argument.

Also, whether or not anarchism is 'brainless' isn't the point of this debate (nor would it end up with corporate/criminal fascism, left-wing anarchism wouldn't allow for corporations in the first place. But, I digress.). Nor is your opinion that we would all end up as slaves.

Also, I would prefer to debate an AnCap on this, if one can find this. However, the choice to debate is yours entirely.
Vote Placed by Subutai 3 years ago
Subutai
ChimeraBlackPantherTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.