ExplodingNoob
Nails

Anarchy is a disease

ExplodingNoob

Pro

Thank you to whoever accepts this debate:

Definitions

Anarchy- http://dictionary.reference.com...

1. confusion; chaos; disorder

Disease- http://dictionary.reference.com...

1.any harmful, depraved, or morbid condition, as of the mind or society

Anarchy is a disease caused by society.
Nails

Con

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just do things. The mob has plans, the cops have plans, Gordon's got plans. You know, they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their worlds. I'm not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. So, when I say that you and your girlfriend was nothing personal, you know that I'm telling the truth.

It's the schemers that put you where you are. You were a schemer, you had plans, and uh, look where that got you. I just did what I do best. I took your little plan and I turned it on itself. Look what I did to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets. You know what I noticed? Nobody panics when things go according to plan. Even if the plan is horrifying. If tomorrow I tell the press that like a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all, part of the plan. But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds!

Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair."

Chaos is not a disease; it is a weapon. Disorder is a tool of revolution. Anarchy is freedom.

We attempt to order and systematize our world so that it all goes according to plan. This logic is fundamentally flawed. We create horrid plans and lifestyles, but we do not challenge them, for that would upset the natural balance of things. Slavery must continue because that is how it has always been. Classism must continue, for challenging it would be radical. We build our habits on immoral, horrible ideologies, but defend these ideologies to the death against radicals simply because they are radicals.

Instead, we ought to embrace the concept of anarchy as a mechanism for change. Anarchy, chaos, disorder, confusion. They upset the social order. They rock society to its core. They force us to rethink. They force us to rebuild. We can no longer simply keep things the same; we cannot reject change in the face of anarchy. We are forced to escape that mindset of 'the norm' and 'that's just how it's always been' and embrace social upheaval.

Our societal norms should not be defended simply because of the fear of change. They must be a cause worth fighting for. Challengers to our social sphere, terrorists, revolutionaries. They force us to question our society and whether they are worth defending.

This reaffirms our deepest held values in many cases. Society-as-is is no longer accepted because it always has been. We accept it because we are forced to realize that it is worth fighting for, that it is moral and right.

Other times, this forces us to reject our most long-standing ideals. In the face of radical change, we can no longer accept 'it's just tradition' as a defense of our beliefs. We question the values of society and, in many cases, reject them. Slavery survived for centuries with nobody to challenge it. It was just normal; it was just how society functioned. Only after the realization that 'how things were' is no longer an option is true change possible.

Order is the disease. Anarchy is the cure. We cannot ever get comfortable with how things are now. We must continue to challenge society with disorder and chaos. The Joker is the hero, not the villain.
ExplodingNoob

Pro

plagiarism for the win...?

As we can see my opponent has used a movie quote to try and negate my previous argument...
Nails

Con

Quotation Marks
"Quotation marks set off material that represents quoted or spoken language."
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu...

Plagiarism
"the process of copying another person's idea or written work and claiming it as original."
http://www.bing.com...

I appropriately put quotation marks around the quote, thereby denoting that it is not my own. I have made it clear that I am not 'claiming it as original.'

I look forward to an actual argument next round.
ExplodingNoob

Pro

yes i what quotes are. Except you based your whole debate off a quote from a batman movie.

In which case your argument, regardless of what you quoted, had nothing to do with the topic of Anarchy existing as a disease. If you want an argument follow the topic. I will probably lose this debate but i refuse to debate a movie.

Thanks for wasting my topic.
Nails

Con

My opponent takes offense with the fact that I quoted The Dark Knight. He clearly has not seen The Dark Knight.

My argument clearly negates the resolution. PRO has made no rebuttal to speak of. Vote CON.
Posted by Lexicaholic 7 years ago
Lexicaholic
RFD (this was sad):

B&A: Con. Anarchy is not a disease caused by society because it is paradoxical that that which is disease would inflict the disease upon itself ... anarchy may be a disease caused by elements of society but if it is an unavoidable product of society then it is simply a state of society rather than a disease thereof.
Conduct: Con, for debating.
S&G: Con for using punctuation and capitalization correctly.
CA: Con. Pro dd not meet his burden or even attempt to explain himself, and Con rebutted Pro's resolution.
RS: Tied.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Pro has the burden of proof, and did not make an argument supporting the resolution. Citing definitions does not constitute an argument that they apply. Con did not pagerize, because he did not claim the arguments were his original work. Once quoted, Con has them to defend.
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
In which case your argument, regardless of what you quoted, had nothing to do with the topic of Anarchy existing as a disease'

EN, I'm honestly not trying to insult you, but if you really did read all of Nails' argument and still came to the conclusion that it had nothing to do with the resolution, then you just didn't understand it. Nails' argument was that we should embrace anarchy as a mechanism for changing society. And he presented it while accepting your unfair definitions. You define the terms in the resolution unfairly in your favour, force Con to take a position most people would disagree with, and then throw away the debate in a tantrum when Con responds with his own original argument. How childish are you?
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
I do believe that I wrote an indepth argument.
Posted by ExplodingNoob 7 years ago
ExplodingNoob
and you did? i think not.
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
How is PRO winning? He never made an argument.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
The quote was actually fairly relevant to the debate. Besides, Nails then explained how the quote could be used to negate the resolution.
Posted by ExplodingNoob 7 years ago
ExplodingNoob
i actually read the whole argument. i wanted a debate based on facts not the dark knight movie.
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
I think EN just began reading the quote, realised it was long, then without bothering to read the whole thing assumed it was Con's entire argument. I thought Nails' argument was interesting, and I'd like to see a proper debate over it-that ain't going to happen here.
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
Yea. That's what I said in round 2. Unfortunately, this whole issue of plagiarism just wasted 1/3 of what I was hoping to be a good debate.
Vote Placed by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
ExplodingNoobNailsTied
Vote Placed by Lexicaholic 7 years ago
Lexicaholic
ExplodingNoobNailsTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
ExplodingNoobNailsTied
Vote Placed by xstylz786 7 years ago
xstylz786
ExplodingNoobNailsTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
ExplodingNoobNailsTied
Vote Placed by RyanARush 7 years ago
RyanARush
ExplodingNoobNailsTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
ExplodingNoobNailsTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
ExplodingNoobNailsTied
Vote Placed by ricky78 7 years ago
ricky78
ExplodingNoobNailsTied
Vote Placed by ExplodingNoob 7 years ago
ExplodingNoob
ExplodingNoobNailsTied