ChandanB
cuntface666

Ancient Hindu texts of Mahabharata and Ramayana can be taken in literal meaning.

ChandanB

ChandanB

Con

In the religion of Hinduism, ancient texts of Mahabharata and Ramayana mention incidents of supernatural nature. These supernatural activities are nothing but the poetic licence and metaphors used by the poets. Therefore I hold the view that those incidences can not be taken in a literal way and assumed that people in ancient times had supernatural powers to carry on such kind of activities.
cuntface666

Pro

go back home you sand monkey
ChandanB

Con

So assuming that my fellow opponents knows how to debate with logic and reasoning (seems unlikely).
So here goes my arguments in points as to why Ramayan and Mahabharat CANT be taken in a literal manner. Here is why....
1. The Ramayana talks of semi beast/animal natured 'humans' referred 'vanar sena'. This is nothing but a prejudice used by the poet to show the superiority of people belonging to the Aryan race and inferiority of people belonging to the Dravidian race, who were darker in colour. I am not really raising the issue of racism here but am speaking of the fact that poetic licence was used to show the Dravidian people who helped Ram as having monkey/animal like qualities both in behavioral and physical nature. Let us not forget that Hanuman and his people belonged to a tribe and hence were cut off from the civilized world of that time.
My QUESTION to my opponent- If they were really apes,how did they have human like intelligence and ability to speak? Also what happened that 'species' of semi human like group.
2. Mahabharata talks about how the father of the main villain of the story Duryodhan was blind and the mother had a piece of cloth tied to her eyes. Were they really that way? Shouldnt it be understood that the poet made a metaphorical reference to how the parents of Duryodhan 'turned a blind eye' to his bad and evil activities?
3. Poets and writers in all languages have used metaphors and (if you are an Indian or understand Hindi) 'alankaras' to make their poems and creation look more fancy and interesting to read. A Greek poet described Medusa as having so many heads that 'they cannot be painted on a pot' This is nothing but POETIC LICENCE. Recent poets and writers too have used it to illuminate someone's character using a non living being's property.
I will put forward further debunking of the metaphorical use of words which have been taken in literal sense,and request my opponents to ANSWER THE QUESTIONS I ASKED
cuntface666

Pro

cuntface666 forfeited this round.
ChandanB

Con

Well I guess he was troll. So I will keep myself to my first argument. His account has been deactivated.
cuntface666

Pro

cuntface666 forfeited this round.
ChandanB

Con

Hope someone sees this and votes for me
cuntface666

Pro

cuntface666 forfeited this round.
Posted by ChandanB 2 years ago
ChandanB
@GoOrDin are you in any way aware of the view of Indians (I dont know if you are one) regarding these two epic stories? You should read a short version of them. You will realize that the stories are supernatural and 'magical' in nature like monkeys having human like intelligence, a person having 10 heads, etc. Most Indians have taken it for granted that the said things are true in a literal manner. I am against it. I think these supernatural characters are nothing but use of metaphors degraded over a period of 2000+ years. The very same goes for the bible too but I have concentrated my focus on the Hindu texts as a lot many debates have/are taking place regarding the metaphorical nature of Bible
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
ChandanB,

what is your objectified point here?
are you attempting convince others or your self of your resolution.

Can poetry and philosophy not be written in the same paper? Can they not be entirely separate as well.

these men are philosophers. It is recognized they expect their audience to be able to ask the wise narrator the questions they need to ask to get a full understanding of the text.
Posted by sabrin100 2 years ago
sabrin100
Sorry , I mean the exact opposite
Posted by sabrin100 2 years ago
sabrin100
Con is stupid . Well Pro will win the debate
Posted by ChandanB 2 years ago
ChandanB
Yeah he did @wampe. Such trolls everywhere. Well he did play a very important role in helping me win my first debate without a fight. lol
Posted by wampe 2 years ago
wampe
Well pro seems to have found a fast way to have an account closed
Vote Placed by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
ChandanBcuntface666Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made ad hominem fallacies and forfeited