Anderson "The Spider" Silva is the best pound for pound fighter in the world.

Started: 11/17/2009 Category: Sports

I argue that Anderson "The Spider" Silva has proven himself to be the best pound for pound mixed martial arts fighter in the world.
Anderson Silva has recently proven himself to be the most capable mixed martial arts fighter regardless of weight class. For key terms, I define mixed martial arts as any participation in sanctioned events that incorporates the most basic mixed martial arts sanctions that must be present to permit a legally licensed mixed martial arts event in most states in the US. This can include cages and rings, but must include the most basic provisions as to be approved by most state athletic commissions and authorities. The best "pound for pound" indicates the most dominant and proficient against competition in their weight class. I define the best as the individual who wins with the most ease in a significant portion of their fighting events.
Silva's fighting record establishes clearly that he is the most dominate fighter pound for pound in all of mixed martial arts. As of November 1st, 2009, Anderson Silva possessed a fight record of 25 wins and 4 losses. Of his 25 wins, only 6 came from decision, with 15 coming by knockout and 4 coming by submission. Silva's last loss was in January of 2006 by way of disqualification; the last fight that Silva lost by force was in 2004. In Silva's last 11 fights, Silva has won by knockout 8 times, and submission twice. Furthermore, Silva has increased his level of competition to the Ultimate Fighting Championship in his previous 10 bouts, cementing him as a dominate force in fighting. As no other can claim the same streak of dominance at this point, Silva is the most dominate fighter pound for pound currently fighting.
Silva has also shown that his level of competition is perpetually high, cementing his reputation as the best pound for pound fighter in the world.
Many experts agree that Anderson Silva is the number one fighter in the world as well. has Silva listed as the best pound for pound fighter in the world. In addition, USA Today has Silva listed at the #5 light heavyweight threat and the #1 middleweight threat.
I feel that Anderson Silva has proven his dynamic range as a fighter over a variety of weight classes has cemented him as a threat across the board, regardless of weight class. Anderson Silva's intensity and resolve in the ring has led him to success over multiple opponents across three weight classes in his career. As he stands today Silva has proven himself to be the most dynamic and accommodating fighter pound for pound.

I want to begin by thanking my opponent. I accept most of the terms he has laid out in his argument; however, I feel that the comprehensive definition of "best pound for pound" is as follows:

"The fighter who illustrates the most dominate control, be it horizontally or vertically within the divisions and levels of talent available in the world."

Based on this definition, Anderson Silva is not the definitive best pound for pound fighter in the world. Even further, I question the definition as to how dominance and control are quantified: is dominance only in record, or is it in wins, losses, or stoppage time? As too many arguments exist that level the playing field amongst various fighters, multiple fighters stand out equally as finalist candidates for the best pound for pound fighter. As a result, no one candidate can be crowned.

My opponent first begins by suggesting that Sylva's dominate fighting record validates his claim that Sylva is the best fighter in the world. However, amongst arguably the 20 most elite fighters in the world, He possesses relatively average win and loss numbers. If being defined by the quantity of wins, Travis Fulton possesses 191 sanctioned wins, with 61 coming from knockout and 124 coming from submission. More notable fighters include Wanderlei Silva, who has 32 wins with 23 knockouts, or Fedor Emelianenko who has 31 wins with 1 loss. Both individuals fight at very high levels of competition, but are unable to be put into direct comparison because they are not in the same weight class as Silva; however by wins in comparison to competition level, Fedor Emielianeko is easily identifiable as the more dominate fighter when compared to Anderson Silva. The same can be said for Georges St-Pierre whose professional record of 21 wins and 2 losses (that were at the elite hands of the welterweight champion of the time); there are several other men that can lay claim to the title of the best pound for pound fighter in the world, not just Silva.
Furthermore, my opponent highlights that Silva's success across weight classes makes him the best pound for pound fighter. However, BJ Penn has fought across 5 weight classes in his career, owning the belts in lightweight and welterweight and seeing success in light, welter, middle, and light heavyweight. According to my opponent's criteria of dominance across weight classes, BJ Penn would be an equal contender for the title of best pound for pound fighter in MMA.

Additionally, Silva has not proved himself to be a savant or guru of a particular fighting either. While Silva is very proficient in jiu jitsu and muay thai kickboxing, he is not recognized as the foremost expert in them.
I do not deny that Silva is one of the best fighters in the world; however I do conclude that based on the evidence I have presented, there are too many other viable candidates who could be easily be considered the best pound for pound fighter in the world, thereby rendering my opponent's argument fallacious.

One key factor my opponent has neglected to address is that Silva has 10 wins and zero losses in his past 10 fights, winning every UFC event he has participated in. Only one of these bouts has gone to decision, and 80% of his fights have ended by the middle of the second round. His dominance over his weight class satisfies questions of depth within the division, and his broad experience across the middleweight, light heavyweight, and heavyweight divisions leave no questions as to how broad his impacts are.

My opponent also calls into question the quantity of wins or the quantity of losses. This would be appropriate if we were arguing who was the best fighter of all time, but the parameters limit this argument to the best current pound for pound fighter is. Over the last 10 fights, Silva has lost zero of them and ended all but one of them via knockout or submission. This dominance across two weight classes cements his position as the best current pound for pound fighter in the world.

As of the current moment, Anderson Silva is the most dominate fighter in the world in his weight class. Assuming that the talent levels for each weight class are somewhat equitable since they are composed of the greatest fighters in the world at each level, then Silva has to be recognized as the best pound for pound fighter in the world.

As no one has found the dominance of competition like Anderson Silva has, this makes him the clear, unquestionable best pound for pound fighter in the world.

The biggest variable that continues to derail the continuity or comparison is the term "best pound for pound fighter". I still beleive that the comparison contains too much information to declare Silva the best pound for pound fighter in the world when fighters such as BJ Penn, Fedor Emelianenko, Georges St. Pierre, and Lyoto Machida have comparable resumes. When taking into consideration, Silva does not hold the most wins or the least losses by one of these elite fighters, nor has he had the breadth of competition like BJ Penn has.

My opponent also cites experts as indicating how Anderson Silva is the best pound for pound fighter in the world; however, on other outlets Silva is not recognized as the best pound for pound fighter. According to the,,, and, Fedor Emelianenko is rated the #1 top pound for pound fighter in the world. This reinforces my argument that no clear top pound for pound fighter exists, and as a result, my opponent's claim is false.

Another concern I have with my opponent's argument is the suggestion that the level of competition that Silva is competing against at middleweight is comparable to the competition of other fighters. Across the board, the middleweight weight class in mma competition is very weak, and does not contain the same caliber of explosive, dangerous athletes like the lightweight and light heavyweight divisions do.

As I have said previously, I do not feel there is enough evidence to determine that any one of these other fighters are superior; however, I do feel that enough evidence exists that indicates Silva is the clear best pound for pound fighter in the world.

Anderson Silva's 10 win streak, the best in the UFC, establishes him as the best fighter in the fighting promotion, which is currently the best fight promotion in the world. By our defined terms, his dominance makes him the best pound for pound fighter in the world.

Furthermore, my opponent's argument that the middleweight division does not possess the level of talent necessary to compete with the lightweight and light heavyweight classes is fallacious. In the current middleweight division of the UFC, two previous Pride champions, not including Anderson Silva, are within the top 5 contenders. According to Sherdog, the foremost ranking for fighters in the world, Nate Marquardt, Dan Henderson, Demian Maia, and Vitor Belfort round out the top 5 as the top 5 middleweights in the world, all of whom are in the UFC. The level of competition at middleweight is just as high as in the other divisions, and Silva's success should not be discounted.

In the past 10 fights:

BJ Penn: Is the current lightweight champion. Has fought across 4 total weight classes to compile a record of 6 wins and 4 losses and has held the UFC welterweight belt.

Georges St-Pierre: Is the current Welterweight champion. Has 9 wins and 1 loss in his previous 1o fights.

Lyoto Machida: Is the current Light Heavyweight champion. Has 16 wins and zero losses in his career, 10 and 0 in his previous 10 fights.

Fedor Emelianenko: Holds the WAMMA World Heavyweight Championship. Has 31 wins and 1 loss in his career, with 10 wins and zero losses in his previous 10 fights.

I argue that his ten fight streak, although impressive, is not the benchmark he surpassed that makes him the best pound for pound fighter in the world. Too much evidence exists that points to other men as being in on the same level as Silva, nullifying the argument that he is the clear choice as the best pound for pound fighter in the world.

In regards to the level of competition for the middleweight division, and the USA today both only include one middleweight, Anderson Silva, in their top 10 pound for pound rankings. I beleive that this is a resounding statement made objectively about the comparison of competition amongst divisions. Simply too much evidence is presented that reinforces the fact that one clear cut pound for pound fighter does not exist.

thematthammer forfeited this round.

atuck9 forfeited this round.
Posted by danny_orlandi9693 6 years ago
anderson silva is not the best pound for pound fighter in the world non the less ufc...