PatriotPerson
TheAmazingLiberal

Andrew Jackson should remain on the $20 bill.

PatriotPerson

Pro

Many people say that Andrew Jackson, the seventh POTUS, should not have the honor of being on American currency. He currently holds position on the twenty dollar bill. I believe it should stay that way. My opponent shall argue otherwise.

First round is for acceptance.
TheAmazingLiberal

Con

I personally don't believe Andrew Jackson should remain on the 20$ Bill,and i believe a more honorable President,should have the honor of being on the 20$ bill,as his involvement in the Slave Trade,and his utter brutality toward's slaves,is not something that should be honored in our Currency.
PatriotPerson

Pro

Why Andrew Jackson does belong on the $20:

1. He was an American hero. Without his commanding during the War of 1812, the war would have ended very differently. Take the battles of New Orleans and Talladega for example, which were commanded by him and were largely won by the Americans.

2. Andrew Jackson largely reduced the nation's national debt.

3. Andrew Jackson is mainly responsible for the creation of the Democratic Party, now one of the two major political parties in America, beside the Republicans.
________________________________________________________
Countering my opponent's statements:

"as his involvement in the Slave Trade, and his utter brutality toward's slaves, is not something that should be honored in our Currency."
You have to keep in mind that all presidents before Jackson and some after him had slaves and participated in the Slave Trade. Some of those presidents are even on money today, those being:

George Washington, on the $1 bill.
Alexander Hamilton (not a president, but major in politics), on the $10 bill.
Even Ulysses S. Grant, the leader of the Union during the Civil War had slaves. He is on the $50 bill.

I think I made my point. I bet you don't think the people above should be off money, do you?
TheAmazingLiberal

Con

Andrew Jackson,unlike past presidents,he did the most damage to the Indian Population,with the Indian Removal Act,a law that was passed during Andrew Jackson's Presidency,on May,28th 1830,which moved the present Native Americans,in the southeastern portion,of the United States,west of The Mississippi River,to federal land's. Do you really want a president,like that honored in our currency? Second what i find ironic,about his inclusion on the 20$ bill is that,he had a staunch opposition,to the Banks,yet he his included on Federal Money,printed by the Federal Reserve which is a Private Bank,which the money from the Federal Reserve is then deposited,by citizens into Banks,Bank Of America,Chase,Etc. Isn't that a bit dis-honoring his reputation? And that's taking a devils advocate stance.
PatriotPerson

Pro

Con's overuse of commas makes his argument somewhat hard to read, but what the heck? I'll try.

"Did the most damage to the Indian population".
Martin Van Buren was the real enforcer of Indian Removal, not Andrew Jackson. Even beside from that, the real reason of relocating the Indians was to help them. Where the Indians were currently living, their hunting availabilities were getting lower, their land was getting worse, and they would've become extinct if they weren't moved somewhere else. Upon being moved to a different land, the Indians had much more opportunities and availabilities to survive. It is not Jackson's fault that many died along the way. Keep in mind that only 1/4 of the Indians that moved died, leaving 3/4, or 75% of all those Indians to live a better life.
Also, the Indians didn't reject to move, especially not when they could've. They signed numerous treaties agreeing clearly that they would move.

I will now address your argument of you think it's ironic that he is on money printed from a bank, which he was an enemy of.

Andrew Jackson was an enemy of the Second National Bank, a bank that no longer exists. Jackson had not been on money during the second bank's life. So it does not matter if the bamnk prints him on money, it makes perfect sense.
TheAmazingLiberal

Con

The reason the decision was made to relocate the Native Americans,was not to help them,it was because they were viewed as a plight on the development of the then Young Nation,which we still are a relatively young nation,but that's a minor tangential interjection. What I'm saying,is that past president's,shouldn't be heralded as hero's,especially from that time period. Just because 1/4 of the Native Americans died,doesn't change the fact,that it was a horrible decision,and I don't believe it should be viewed as anything else,but that's my opinion.
PatriotPerson

Pro

Yes, most people, especially white men, back then were racist especially toward Indians. However, that doesn't mean that Jackson tried to help them, because he did. And if you think about it, that is a good thing because Jackson expanded our territory, thus making the country larger.

Many presidents before Jackson should be heralded as heroes. I will describe why:
George Washington: Commander of the Americans during the revolution, probably the reason why this nation started.
John Adams: Helped to write the Declaration and helped construct American government.
Thomas Jefferson: Wrote the Declaration and also helped construct American government.
James Madison: Wrote the Bill of Rights and is considered the father of the Constitution.
James Monroe: War hero, the last founding father, and an important man in government.
John Q. Adams: Okay, I admit he didn't do anything special.

I understand why you view the Trail of Tears so horribly, most people do. But there still are positive things about it.
TheAmazingLiberal

Con

TheAmazingLiberal forfeited this round.
PatriotPerson

Pro

So to sum up, Andrew Jackson should remain on the $20 because he was a war hero and did the best he could for the country.
TheAmazingLiberal

Con

I apologize for missing last debate,as I did not have the time,in my schedule to continue. Just because someone is a war hero,does not mean,that they deserve to be honored. If Hitler lived in the Greek Times,and was a emperor,he would be honored as a war hero.