Blakearneal
GOAT_23_6

Andrew Luck will be the greatest Quarter Back in NFL history

Blakearneal
Started: 5/14/2015 Category: Sports

Blakearneal

Pro

Andrew luck will be the greatest Quarter Back in NFL history. I mean, just look at his numbers, he has broken plenty of records for the NFL as a whole, and has also broken almost all of Peyton Manning's records for the Colts. GO LUCK!!!!!!!
GOAT_23_6

Con

I'm dying right now. Just because he has broken some of Manning's records as a Colt doesn't mean he will be anything. Manning isn't even the best QB of all-time and I'm a Broncos fan. Let me know when Luck goes 5/5 in the SuperBowl with multiple MVPs, and records. Joe Montanna is the greatest QB of all-time and always will be. But, lets hear your argument.
Blakearneal

Pro

Andrew Luck has not just broken Manning's records, he has also broken a ton of other NFL records; Here is just a short list his records: Most passing yards in a single game by a rookie quarterback: 433 (vs Miami Dolphins)
Most passing yards by a rookie in a single season (4,374)
Most game-winning drives by a rookie quarterback (7)
Most fourth quarter comebacks by a rookie quarterback (7)
Most passing yards for a quarterback through his first 2 seasons (8,196)
Most passing yards for a quarterback through his first 3 seasons (12,688)
Most passing yards for a quarterback through his first 5 postseason games (1,703)
Most consecutive 350-yard passing games on the road (5)
Fifth highest passing yards total in a playoff game (443) (Wild-Card game against the Kansas City Chiefs on January 4, 2014)
First quarterback to throw for 350+ yards in five consecutive road games
Third player to throw for 3,000 yards in the first nine games (which Joe Montana did NOT do)
Not to mention the fact that in his first three years as a quarter back in the NFL, Luck has been to the play offs each time. And the only reason why Colts didn't make it to the Super Bowl is mostly because of these two things: The Colts had a terrible running back, not point any fingers (Trent Richardson), and also the Colts have had a terrible offensive line. Luck gets knocked down almost every single play. Now tell me, did Joe Montana have to work with this?
GOAT_23_6

Con

SITE YOUR SOURCES

I don't care about all of this stuff he's done as a rookie. The reason that the Colts don't have a running back, is because running backs want to go to a team with a WINNING quarterback. How many wins did Luck get in his rookie year? 11-5. Guess what. Monatana didn't PLAY his rookie year. So for you to judge on a numbers standpoint, I could really care less. How many SBs do you honestly think Luck will win?
Blakearneal

Pro

Well, first off, the Colts don't have a running back because Trent Richardson was supposed to be amazing, so the Colts traded their first round pick for him. But it turned out that Richardson didn't live up to the expectations placed upon him. And I also believe that Andrew Luck will lead the Colts through 6+ Super Bowl wins. Oh, and if you wish to not except the rookie statistics, then how about the season that just occurred; Luck had 40 touchdowns, versus Montana's record of 31, and Luck also passed/rushed for 4,761 yards, versus Montana's record of 3,944 yards. And this is only Luck's THIRD season.

My sources are (a less credible) Wikipedia and (a more credible) Nfl.Com
My sincerest apologies for not siting the sources earlier.
GOAT_23_6

Con

Luck had 40 touchdowns, versus Montana's record of 31

Montana played 13 games that year that he threw 31. And, might I add, that he threw 31 TDs AND won a SuperBowl.

http://www.nfl.com...

And this is only Luck's THIRD season.

How many INTs did Luck throw last year? 16? Ah. That's insane.

Also, who's going to be able to tell if Luck could be the greatest QB of all-time. Cam Newton was putting up insane numbers until his 4th year. Luck could have a crazy career ending injury and the stats he has now won't do him any good. So, him being in his 3rd year and saying he will be the greatest is like saying LeBron James would've been the greatest basketball player of all-time when he was coming out of highschool 12 years ago, it's just not okay to say.
Blakearneal

Pro

Well, as to Luck receiving a crazy, career ending injury, that is very unlikely to occur. As you have most likely seen in Luck's game play, he gets hit quite frequently and runs on several occasions. He has also gotten up and shrugged off any of these hits, and also doesn't allow them to get into his head.

As to the 16 interceptions, Joe Montana also threw 16 interceptions in the 1990 season with the 49ers.

I would also like to state one of Andrew Luck's most useful weapons, which he actually uses unintentionally.... his kindness. If you watch/listen to the Colts' games very carefully, then you will hear Luck telling the defenders "good hit", and "nice one" among other things, to which the defenders have stated gets in their heads. Did Montana have this aspect?
GOAT_23_6

Con

Key Example: Bo Jackson. Bo Jackson was a freak of nature, who often hit people as a running back instead of getting hit. Bo did something that was never done before.. He popped his hip out of his socket. I'm not saying Luck could get hit hard and then be injured, he could tear his achilles or even his ACL and never come back the same.

https://www.youtube.com...

Guess what! They won the SuperBowl that year! I don't care if he threw 70 INTs! He won didn't he? That's the thing with guys like John Elway and Dan Marino. They were amazing statistical features, but they didn't win enough when it mattered most.

If you watch/listen to the Colts' games very carefully, then you will hear Luck telling the defenders "good hit", and "nice one" among other things, to which the defenders have stated gets in their heads.

To be honest, Montana probably didn't talk to the other team. Montana was all-business on the field. He didn't talk trash, nor did he say nice things to his opponents. He didn't need to. He let his play do the talking.
Blakearneal

Pro

Well, as to Montana winning the Super Bowl that year, Luck and the Colts would have at least gone to the Super Bowl, but the New England Patriots actually cheated in the AFC championship for the Super Bowl spot. And I have no doubt in my mind that the Colts could beat the Seattle Seahawks. Luck is already putting up better numbers than Joe Montana, and I have no doubt that he will be the greatest Quarter Back in the history of the NFL, and I look forward to hearing your final rebuttal.

Thank You.
GOAT_23_6

Con

Luck and the Colts would have at least gone to the Super Bowl, but the New England Patriots actually cheated in the AFC championship for the Super Bowl spot.

Ah, the old Deflategate scandal. It's incredible isn't it? How a couple of deflated balls could make a team lose 45-7. To be honest, either way it would have gone, the Patriots still would've won. 45-7 isn't because the balls were "underinflated", it's because the Patriots did to the Colts what they should've been getting all year. (Biased Broncos fan here)

Luck is already putting up better numbers than Joe Montana

Is he putting up more wins? Joe Montana's win percentage was unprecidented and something that no QB will match again, besides maybe Russel Wilson who has been winning, even though no one likes him. I do not think Luck will become the greatest of all-time. With that in mind, he will be a no doubt hall of famer, giving that no significant injuries occur.
Vote Placed by Gabe1e 2 years ago
Gabe1e
BlakearnealGOAT_23_6Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Grammar: Pro | I saw some grammar mistakes on Con's part. Arguments: Pro | Pro provided great arguments and Con barely even rebutted most of them. He refused to because he wanted Pro to cite his sources, but you still should rebut. I don't believe Luck will be the best, but comparing Joe Montana and a 2nd year QB is not a good comparison but Con. | Sources: Con | He used the only sources.