Nathaniel.Clay
Ignis_Vulpes

Android Is Better Than iOS.

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 3/13/2017 Category: Technology

Nathaniel.Clay

Pro

Android is clearly better than iOS, because it has better tampering capabilities, and Google Play charges no tax.

Android is clearly better than iOS, because the ability to modify the software is substantially easier. It's not exactly supposed to be modified, but if you were planning on it, there are websites to visit (after getting root). You can install android apps that are root-only on your android phone, run androidOS on an old iPhone, and even install custom ROMs on your android phone.

Android is much better than iOS, because you pay for what's advertised. Who doesn't love saving money on a microtransaction? Who loves paying the displayed price? I love to see that I paid $9.99, if the price is $9.99. Google Play Store works like this, whereas the App Store doesn't.

Android is clearly better than iOS, because it has better modifications capabilities, and you save money using Google Play Store.

This is SOFTWARE ONLY
Ignis_Vulpes

Con

While Android is very clearly the more modifiable os, and is typically easier to be modified to begin with, the majority of users won't be modifying the software to begin with. If this feature is a reason for android to be considered better than iOS, you have to consider the opposite end of the spectrum. iOS software is much less prone to the malware in part because of it being less open. Rather than being able to download and use an apk file, all apps must be downloaded from the highly supervised app store. This is, of course, without the device being jail-broken.

With this said, Android's pro of being modifiable can be a major con for casual users. Its greater number of options such as downloading software outside of google play lends it to being attacked by a greater number of virus's. Anyone who has no desire to further configure their phone would have no reason to put it in greater risk.
Nathaniel.Clay

Pro

1. There are over 100 phones that support android. IOS has one.

2. Android has the ability to view Adobe flash player. IOS cannot.

3. IOS has less apps now than are available on android. They tend to be lower quality too.

4. Android phones have the support of Google. Things such as maps, Earth, and the newly released Google Now.

5. IOS is too reliant on its own resources. Android supports a wide variety of browsers and interfaces.

6. Androids are MUCH more free to customize. An iPhone has to be jail broken to be able to do even the least bit of customizing.

These are just a few more points to add as to why Android is better. To touch on the "virus", I see your point about penalizing casual users (the majority), HOWEVER from a developer's standpoint, it's beneficial to be able to have modifiable options. The only people putting their phone in risk, are those potentially doing illegal modifications. (In which case it's well deserved). I was also talking about legal custimization of the phone.
Ignis_Vulpes

Con

Many of your points revolve around Android's greater customization. I actually fully agree with said points, but I don't believe they make the case for Android alone, so I'll look at some other points.

iOS does have far fewer variations of phones using it, this much is true. This doesn't spell out any real downside of iOS. On the contrary, iOS is often seen as easier to develop for because there are fewer phones to take into account. In terms of how this effects the number of apps on the individual stores, the app store has approximately 1.2 million apps while the google play store has around 1.4. This may suggest the opposite of what I said about ease of development, but you have to consider the higher scrutiny apps go through to be put on the app store. With this in mind you'd actually expect the difference to be more substantial than it is. Nevertheless, quality is more important, and with the aforementioned app screening process, you can expect more quality apps in the app store.
Posted by SteveHeist 10 months ago
SteveHeist
I've used both - the software is comparable. A lot of my gripes are with hardware.
Posted by JTezzy 10 months ago
JTezzy
I HATE this argument, but I don't mid seeing the responses... First of all 70% of the people have a one sided opinion because they have lived their entire using either Android or IOS. In all honesty, they are both great...
Posted by SteveHeist 10 months ago
SteveHeist
Gonna stick my head in edgewise here and say - I have used Google Chrome on iOS in the past, as well as Google Productivity Suite (Docs, Sheets, etc.) so Google does have it's fingers in iOS, but Apple has the OS itself on stranglehold.
Posted by Ignis_Vulpes 10 months ago
Ignis_Vulpes
I have no idea if you saw this or not, but I'm just leaving a comment to say my next point will be made later today. I'm writing this in the last few minutes of class so I don't have time to finish my next point right now.
Posted by Ignis_Vulpes 10 months ago
Ignis_Vulpes
That's...(get ready for it) debatable.
Posted by Vapid_Darkness 10 months ago
Vapid_Darkness
I know you said software only, but even the android hardware is better than Apple.