X_mitchell
Ore_Ele

Android based Phones are greater than Iphones

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 3/28/2011 Category: Technology

X_mitchell

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent, for whom ever she/he is who picks up this argument. I would also like to wish them good luck. I would like to get started by talking about stats. (I will be using mostly the Android phone The Incredible to the IPhone4). Also I will be using the service plan of Verizon so that there is no service advantages.

First off its camera. I would like to blantly say that the Incredible has a 8 mega pixel camera while the IPhone has a 5 mega pixel camera. This is coming from verizon.com

Secondly the processor. The Incredible has a 1GHz snapdragon processor, while the IPhone is clocked at around 800MHz. As you can see this does make a difference when surfing the internet. Although the IPhones speed has never been written in stone I had to get that information from an image off google of the Phone clocking itself at 800MHz.

Thirdly the application store. We have all been to the Apple's app store and we all know that there are thousands of apps that are absolutely pointless, most of which have minimal reviews and continue to remain at the top of the page. Androids app store is all the goods without the crap. It's right down to the point and you will have no problem downloading important apps. Also there is some games on the Android app store that are free and most of these apps cost money on the Apple App store.

Forth and last thing i'm discussing in this round is value. The Droid Incredible you can get with a 2 year plan for around 149.99. The IPhone you will have to pay 199.99 now you would think that the one that costs more must be better, right? That's were you are wrong if anyone who cares about their knowledge and money would look at the statistics and notice that the IPhone lacks in some characteristics.

I hope that someone picks up on this topic and we can have a wonderful debate. But please don't vote because you have an IPod and you think your sweet because you play pointless apps and really only do one thing on your Phone. Also don't vote if you love the product please actually read the debate.
Ore_Ele

Con

I thank my opponent for starting this debate and look forward to a fact filled debate which has plagued smartphone users for years.

Before going on to my own arguements, I'd like to address some arguments made by my opponent.

"First off its camera. I would like to blantly say that the Incredible has a 8 mega pixel camera while the IPhone has a 5 mega pixel camera."

Yes, it is true that the iPhone 4 only has a 5 megapixel camera while the Incredible has an 8 megapixel [1][2]. However, there is a good reason for this and it's name is memory space. Frist, I would like to point out that the number of megapixels your camera is doesn't really effect the quality of the picture [4][5]. Infact, when people were presented with photos of 5, 8, and 13 megapixels, they could not tell the difference, even when the pictures were blown up to 16x24 (inches) and they were allowed to get as close as they wanted. But, one thing that the megapixels do effect, is how much space pictures (and movies) take up. An 8 megapixel photo will take up 60% more memory space than a 5 megapixel photo. And an 8 megapixel movie will take up 60% more memory than a 5 megapixel movie of the same length. All for no improvement of picture quality. So all in all, you are wasting memory space, for no observable improvement of quality.

"Secondly the processor. The Incredible has a 1GHz snapdragon processor, while the IPhone is clocked at around 800MHz."

Both phones have the same speed processor [1][2], that is 1 MHz. My opponent states that iPhone is underclocked, and this is true. However, he neglects to inform the voters that the Android is ALSO UNDERCLOCKED [3]. In fact, most phones are underclocked in order to save battery life. By underclocking the processor, you can save upto 50% of the battery life.

"Thirdly the application store. We have all been to the Apple's app store and we all know that there are thousands of apps that are absolutely pointless..."

There are many pointless apps, true, but that is up to the consumer to decide. The Android version of the app store also is full of pointless apps, but that is part of a free market. Anyone can put forth their ideas and apps to see if the public wants them, and if no one does, no one is hurt by it being there (this is an obvious pander for the free marketists on this site, lol).

"Forth and last thing i'm discussing in this round is value."

I would certainly hope that the Droid costs less, considering that it has less of what really matters, such as memory space, screen resolution, support staff and so on, which I will go into in my arguments.

Now, for my arguments.

The things that I would like to point out that my opponent seemed to have forgotten.
1) Battery Life
2) Screen resolution
3) Memory space
4) Customer service

Let's begin

1) Battery life.
Battery life has always been an issue with smart phones. We want them to be able to do so much (which requires a lot of energy for the device), yet we want them small enough to fit in our pockets without pulling our pants down from their weight. The iPhone 4 has about double the battery life of the Incredible [1][2].

2) Screen resolution.
The screen resolution matters with every non-phone aspect of a smart phone. From reading books, to watching videos, to playing games, to video calls, to whatever. The iPhone 4 is 960x640, while the Incredible is 800x480 [1][2] (and the iphone can do this while still having better battery life).

3) Memory space
The iPhone comes base at 16 gigs, while the Incredible comes at 8 gigs. Both can go upto 32 gigs if you want to pay more for it. [1][2]

4) Customer service
This is the biggie. No matter what phone you get, there will come a time when you need assistance with it and you have to call tech support. Apple has won the JD Powers award for best smart phone tech support for 5 years running now [6][7]. No other company can come close to providing such support for their smart phone products.

Of course we have other things, like the iPhone 4 has better hearing aid compatability for those with hearing issues (H4/T4 vs H4/T3 for the Incredible) and other such little things.

Anyway, I will pass the torch onto my opponent for their next round.

Thank you

[1] http://www.verizonwireless.com...
[2] http://www.verizonwireless.com...
[3] http://www.phonearena.com...
[4] http://www.kenrockwell.com...
[5] http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com...
[6] http://www.jdpower.com...-(volume-1)/
[7] http://www.jdpower.com...
X_mitchell

Pro

Thanks you for your argument. My opponent seems to be well fitted for this argument. I have no comment on the argument that my opponent has made, and I wish to disregard the App store because I feel as if it is to big of a topic to be disused. Although there is one more topic I would like to throw in is Things you can do with the phone. And I'm going to veer away from stats for a short while.

1.Files, Files...Files.
As you see this topic you many think what am I talking about, well I am talking about the ability to download actual files off of webpages to use on your device (not apps)(1). This is useful when going into a no wi-fi zone or not able to get internet connectivity at all, you can still work on your work files.

2. Themes
I'm not talking about backgrounds i'm talking about things that actually change the way the input view of the phone may look. Themes are great for a person who looking to customize there phone and make it more attractive to use and they can come in handy with utilities.(3)

3.Widgets
These are some of the most helpful things that can be used. Not only that but they are live. I mean this because the widgets actually move like if it was snowing outside the weather widget will display falling snow flakes(3). Also large calendars that are open and can be easily accessed. These are one of the key factors when you think about the features of the two phones.

4.Wi-fi hotspot
The IPhone does not have this capability unless it is tethered with so that it can distribute wi-fi to to other tech. items. This is also a very nice feature when using the phone because you can use the wi-fi from your phone to give to your laptop and other things.

I know that my points are not to long but they are sweet and get to the point I would know like to have my opponent to the rest of the second round.

(1) http://www.pcworld.com...
(2)http://android-themes.net...
(3)http://www.androidtapp.com...
Ore_Ele

Con

My opponent has no comment on my arguments, so I would like to extend them. My opponenet has also not defended any of his previous arguments, and so they are basically dropped (of course, he may bring them back up, but I request that if he does so, he does it next round and not the 4th round, as last rounds should be left for summarizing, not arguing).

I will continue by addressing my opponent's new arguements.

"1.Files, Files...Files"
All I have to say to this is, "there's an app for that." While it is true that the iPhone cannot download files directly (such as word or excel) by itself. There are many apps, ranging from free to $9.99 that allow you to download directly from your computer, from a web-based cloud, or from an e-mail. Part of the reason for this is because Apple is not Microsoft, and so is not standard compatible, but it is simple to make it so. That means you are left with only the minor inconvience of downloading an app.

"2. Themes"
Themes are also available for the iPhone 4 [1]

"3.Widgets"
Widgets are just an alternative name for "apps," as a marketing gimmic to sound different. But even so, with the Incredible's lower battery life to begin with, wasting energy on making things appear "cute" does not seem very wise. Now if the Incredible was brimming with battery life to boot, I could see wasting it on dancing icons and things that actually rain to let you know that it is raining. But until the battery life lasts longer than your average work day, energy-inefficient methods of displaying information are not positive traits.

"4.Wi-fi hotspot"
The iPhone has actually been able to do tethering since the iOS 3.0 (2009), it was only AT&T that prevented it, as it was allowed to do it in other countries. Since this debate is meant to be between devices, and not the service plans that they are on, this point is moot [2].

I look forward to the next round of the debate.

[1] http://www.mbtheme.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
X_mitchell

Pro

First off I would like to thank my opponent for updating me on these things also I will agree not to go back to forgotten points of argument. I plan to make my part of this round short because I have some small things I would argue about, and questions.

1. I would like to say on the files point that i have a jailbroken IPod(yes i know). I have over 12 of the downloading "apps" that say they will allow you to download files. Now i will tell you this is more than a minor inconvenience.

3. My widgets point
I would like to say that widgets do improve the look of the phone but, they also help. I would like to begin by saying they are self updating and that you don't have to click on them or access an "app" to view them. This can be very helpful for a business person or someone on the run(1). You just have to be smart when activating widgets and keep your battery life in mind. But you know you can alway buy battery extension packs which are not that bulky and you don't have to switch them out or attach any cords(2).

Now my question you said in an earlier round the word "moot" now by this which on of the terms did you mean(3)?

(1) http://www.zdnet.com...
(2) http://shop.htcpedia.com...
(3)http://dictionary.reference.com...
Ore_Ele

Con

My opponent states that having these downloading apps for his ipod (I personally don't care if it is jailbroken, I worked for apple as ipod touch and iphone tech support and I refused to get an iphone with AT&T) is "more than a minor inconvenience."

Appart from being a personal opinion rather than a factual opinion, I can only say that the only reason to jail break an ipod touch is to alter the software (as opposed to for the iphone, it was mostly to get away from AT&T and not alter the software). Altering the software can effect how apps work on that device.

My opponent also states that with the widgets, you can take the concious effort to save battery life, which is true, and is encouraged for pretty much all smart phones as they all have battery issues (as mentioned earlier). And pretty much all smart phones have battery extention cases. The one that my opponent points to is $70 bucks (minus 1 penny) and that will actually bring the cost of that phone to more than the iPhone 4.

Regarding the word "moot." I am using it with the meaning of "doesn't matter" (I think that was #5 in the link). The iPhone has the ability to tether, just like the Incredible, however AT&T locked that feature because they didn't believe that their network could handle it. Other carriers in other nations have opened up tethering with the iPhone. Since this is a debate about the device, and not the service providers, any limits placed by those providers doesn't matter to this debate.

Thank you,
X_mitchell

Pro

I will indeed like to make this a summary round, and as I have to leave very soon for spring break I will make it short and sweet.

Things to look back on:

1. Files that you can easily download and keep into a folder for offline use.
2. The Android Market is more down to business at the moment
3. There is battery extensions that you can buy if money isn't an issue
4. Widgets that are a great tool if you are on the run, and do in some cases make your phone more appealing
5. Well this one is just for fun thought I would throw in a video from more than trustful people (I guess you can disregard the number one reason if you wish.

Thank you and hope to see the results once I get back. And I would also like to thank Con for making this my second debate. I hope that I have many more of this type because I have learned about new things and ideas.
Ore_Ele

Con

I will also summarize the debate as it has come.

The Incredible - (as my opponent has stated)
1) files that are easier (as of his opinion, not mine)
2) more down to as a business phone
3) and widgets

The iPhone - (as my opponent has either let go or admitted defeat in)
1) sharper sceen resolution
2) better standard battery life
3) better free market for apps
4) more standard memory
5) far better customer service

I'll the voters decide which features that they believe are better.

Thank you,
Posted by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
http://i.imgur.com...

There is a link, for those others.
Posted by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
Yeah, that was good.
Posted by ccstate4peat 3 years ago
ccstate4peat
Is my RFD detailed enough, OreEle?
Posted by Chrysippus 3 years ago
Chrysippus
RFD:

Conduct: good on both sides, nothing to complain about. Tied.

SP/G: decent; pro's formatting got a bit hazy towards the end, but not enough to lose him this point. Tied.

Arguments: Con was able to clearly demonstrate, in concrete terms, the iPhone's superiority to the Android. Pro fell back on subjective issues, dropped several arguments, and essentially gave up.
Pro, please note that when you drop an argument, saying "I will agree not to go back to forgotten points of argument" doesn't prevent those points from being voted on.

Sources: Con, easily. More of them, and better.
Posted by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
I'd like to request that anyone that votes, please leave a detailed RFD. I think that both of us put a lot of effort into this and would like some real feedback.
Posted by X_mitchell 3 years ago
X_mitchell
I think that this will be a close one because I didn't go with the best choice of Android Phone to use. But we will see.
Posted by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
sales numbers would be an appeal to popularity and doesn't have an actual effect on what is actually "greater."
Posted by Randall999 3 years ago
Randall999
Android smartphones are far outselling iphones, CON is going to have a hard time winning this debate I fear. I myself have an Android smartphone, love it. But I will keep an open mind looking at both sides, as I have no experience with an iPhone.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 4 months ago
9spaceking
X_mitchellOre_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: stronger arguments
Vote Placed by K.GKevinGeary 2 years ago
K.GKevinGeary
X_mitchellOre_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: the con the argument was concise
Vote Placed by ccstate4peat 3 years ago
ccstate4peat
X_mitchellOre_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't like the character limit, so I wrote my RFD in Word and screenshotted it. A link to the image is provided below. http://i.imgur.com/05rh9.png
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 3 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
X_mitchellOre_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro simply ignored a very well presented round by Con.
Vote Placed by Chrysippus 3 years ago
Chrysippus
X_mitchellOre_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Clear win for Con. I hate this little box that we are given to put our RFDs in; no room to organize one's thoughts. My RFD will be in the comments section.
Vote Placed by reddj2 3 years ago
reddj2
X_mitchellOre_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: con better arguement