kaylastep
TUF

Androids Are Better Than iPhones

TUF

kaylastep

Pro

Android phones are better then Apple iPhones.
TUF

Con

====FRAMEWORK====

RULES:

1. A forfeit should result in the loss of the debate.

2. Both debaters will refrain from using semantincs.

3. Dropped arguments should consult to the automatic loss of a conduct point.

4. Both debaters, will argue politely, yet intelligently.

====MY CASE====
Given that my opponent did not present an opening case, I will go first.

I will be standing in firm opposition to the topic entitled: "Androids are Better than Iphones" for the following reasons...

C1: Iphone technology is far more advanced than that of the Android.

http://zapp5.staticworld.net...

Stastically, The Iphone is more advanced than the Android, as demonstrated in the link above.
Iphone exceeds in all of the following categories:

Photos: +2%
Network services: +2.5%
Transferring photos: +8.2%
Sending photos to email: +6.1%
Social Netwroking: +4.9%
Sending photo's to web: +1.8%

The Iphone has several advantages that an Android does not present.

Music:
The Iphone works as both an Ipod and a phone. It's the best in it's technology. While androids have the capability of carryig music, they do not present the massive library and music storage capabilities that the Iphone possesses. You can update music right through your pc easily onto your Iphone, unlike with the Android.
The Iphone also possesses a faster processer, so that all actions done on the phone are immedient, and speedy.
http://www.ibad.info...

Features:
The Iphone possesses many features that are superior to the android. Text is easy, with the VOIP ability. This was originally not introduced to the Android, and the android only developed this with in the last couple of years. The Iphone's VOIP ability is faster in processing statements from texters.

http://www.voip-info.org...

Apps:

"Apple has a commanding lead over all other smart phone platforms with 230,000 and counting in the App Store. But Google's Android platform now claims 70,000."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com...

A lot of people (like myself) find that after switching from an Iphone to an android, that a lot of there favorite apps aren't carried by the android. This can be dismaying, as having a plethora of applications is a great attribute that most people look forward to when buying an Iphone.

"The iPhone has a huge lead here, and most game developers appear to be hanging back from committing to Android for the time being. The biggest exception is Gameloft, which has already published a considerable lineup of Android games including the platformer "Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles," and the first-person shooter "NOVA." Ironically, Gameloft said last fall that it was scaling back on Android development, and still refuses to sell apps through Google's embarrassingly chaotic Android Market, opting to sell through its own website instead."

When it comes down to 'who is the leader in entertainment, the Iphone definitely takes the cake.

====CONCLUSION====

I will now await for my opponents opening arguments and rebuttals, and look forward to her response.
I feel I have succesfully proven that the Iphone is far more superior than the Android.

Thankyou for starting this debate, and I look forward towards the remainder of it.
kaylastep

Pro

Yes, I can agree with my opponent that the Iphone is more advanced than the Android. However, according to statistics, with an android phone, you can acquire much more free applications and save money compared to apple. In 2011, 65.9% of android apps were free compared to the iPhone market having only 33.8% of their apps as free.
http://android.appstorm.net...

Also, iPhones free apps aren't even that great nor do they have much of a range or variety of decent apps. They limit you to the basics. Yes, I agree that for good quality apps, you should have to pay. However, on the Android market at least, they allow you to try a "Lite" version of an application before you purchase it. This allows the customers to check out the game before the spend money on the full app. Also, on an android, your allowed to buy an app and test it for some time (approx. 15 minutes) and go back and click to receive a full refund if you don't like the application. This feature is not on an iPhone.

Another popular distinction between the androids and the iPhones are that iPhones need to be synced all the time. With an android, any changes you make via a computer will automatically change on your cell phone or tablet as well. However, for iPhones you always have to sync the device to the computer and enter your username and password for everything.

One other flaw to iPhones is that, for the longest time, no one could share their music because of the way iTunes was set up. Nobody could share playlists or songs from their phones because the music was in iTunes. However, they updated a popular app that many people now use called Bump It in order to share music. However, with an android phone, we can share music without having an extra app. All this does is make things a step more difficult for the iPhone users.

Finally, according to a NY Times article at the end of 2011, "While Android was initially overshadowed by the popular iPhone from Apple, its user numbers are now soaring. In 2010, global sales of Android phones reached 67.2 million units, ahead of iPhones, which sold 46 million units, according to the research company Gartner."
http://topics.nytimes.com...

Therefore, in my defense, Android sales and popularity at one point were inferior to iPhones. However, they have shown to improve overall and triumph over them as of now.
TUF

Con

I will go over rebuttals, then back to my case.

====REBUTTALS====

AFFORDABILITY

"Yes, I can agree with my opponent that the Iphone is more advanced than the Android. However, according to statistics, with an android phone, you can acquire much more free applications and save money compared to apple. In 2011, 65.9% of android apps were free compared to the iPhone market having only 33.8% of their apps as free."

This argument stastically is true, however, I think this tid bit of information from this article is quite interesting:

"A good number of Android apps — close to 80,000 according to Appsfire – are unpublished, meaning they're no longer available for download. Android users, it seems, are much less loyal to their apps, which are less "sticky" than those from iPhone; consumers use them less frequently or abandon them altogether after downloading.

Another complication for Android is price."

http://dealnews.com...;

The android market won't be able to keep apps very free for very long, as it's app market is dwindling. The android Company can no longer fun free applications based on company budgets. So how long will these apps be free?
Also even if they are free, this is no way makes the apps better. The Iphone gives people a plethora of choices for applications IE; games, tv, useful tools, etc. The ones that are pay for only mean that they are of higher quality then those of the androids.

Another thing that you may find intersting, is that paying for apps is completely unneccesary. There is a thing called "Jail breaking" That you can do to an Iphone, that is actually pretty popular. What this does is it makes all applications completely free!
I would also like to note, that this is something you can't do to an android phone.
http://www.androidmemo.com...

TRYING BEFORE YOU BUY

"They limit you to the basics. Yes, I agree that for good quality apps, you should have to pay. However, on the Android market at least, they allow you to try a "Lite" version of an application before you purchase it."

This information is completely false. The Iphone allows you to play "lite" version of games before you use them as well.

http://itunes.apple.com...

"Also, on an android, your allowed to buy an app and test it for some time (approx. 15 minutes) and go back and click to receive a full refund if you don't like the application. This feature is not on an iPhone."

This is completely unneccesary however. Like you said, there are lite versions off apps people can try before they buy anything. Why would someone not try it on the lite version before purchasing anyway?
This argument just proves that the android maker lacks faith in their apps.

SYNCING

"Another popular distinction between the androids and the iPhones are that iPhones need to be synced all the time. With an android, any changes you make via a computer will automatically change on your cell phone or tablet as well. However, for iPhones you always have to sync the device to the computer and enter your username and password for everything."

Where exactly is your source for this information? The android isn't an Ipod so it doesn't have the same music capabilites as the Iphone. Any music on the Android must be manually put on or installed, or even purchased. The Iphone works just like an Ipod. You only need to sync it when you want to update the music list.
The Iphone is far superior in music uploads in this area, as all you have to do is plug it in to sync it, rather than manually dragging all your music into your android.

However there is also an App that is exlcusive to Apple called "Ifile". This app is not contained on the android market, and will completely update your music for you without even plugging your Ipod in. Yes, my dear, there truly is an app for everything.

http://modmyi.com...
SHARING OF MEDIA

"However, they updated a popular app that many people now use called Bump It in order to share music. However, with an android phone, we can share music without having an extra app. All this does is make things a step more difficult for the iPhone users."

First off since I have personally used the application called "bump" I know that it does not live up to it's name. When you bump that music over, it will still need the purchasing sign. Same with android. I noticed that you lack proof of how to share music on the Android. Is this because you know that is requires purchase just as the Iphone does?
The only way to get free music is via free music download applications. Sharing music requires paying on both the Iphone and the Android.

Next you provide a link showing an increase in android sales. You forget to mention however that this time period excluded a recent Iphone creation. This was when the android first became a noticable entity.

Let's look at the sales from the Iphone 4.

When the Iphone 4 originally came out, it broke the record for sales. This is within the last year, compared to my opponents source from 2010.

http://www.pcmag.com...

====MY CASE=====

C1: DROPPED! PLEASE EXTEND!

MUSIC:
DROPPED! PLEASE EXTEND!

FEATURES:
DROPPED! PLEASE EXTEND!

APPS:
DROPPED! PLEASE EXTEND!

====CONCLUSION====

While my opponent has made some arguments that fall into the same general category as my arguments, she has failed to directly respond to any of the arguments I have made in my case.

I have succesfully refuted all of my opponents points. My opponent lacks proof for certain arguments, which I hope you, the audience, disregaurd.

I look forward to the remainder of this debate, and wish good luck to my opponent!

kaylastep

Pro

"Iphone technology is far more advanced than that of the Android."
Actually they are neck-in-neck when it comes to how successful of a device they are. From the same article my opponent used and refers to, Androids statistically exceed iPhones in these following categories:

Sending photos directly to other phones: +7.9%
Captured Video: +22.5%
Uploaded Video To Computer: +8.9%
Sent Video Directly To Another Phone: +6.3%
Sent Video Via Email: +6.7%
Uploaded Video To The Web: +6.7%
Based on these statistics, iPhones are poor choices for phones especially pertaining to video.

In these other 6 categories, iPhones are only beating Android by slight percentages.
Photos: +2%
Network services: +2.5%
Transferring photos: +8.2%
Sending photos to email: +6.1%
Social Netwroking: +4.9%
Sending photo's to web: +1.8%

http://zapp5.staticworld.net...

Music:
Yes, iPhones are better when it comes to basic playback of music. However, when I made reference to syncing, I said that on iPhone's it's not easy to share the music unless you download an extra app like Bump that allows it.

Features:
Actually texting is a lot easier on Androids due to the Swype keypads that they have. All one has to do is swipe their finger across the letters and they are texting. It's much faster.
http://swypeforandroid.net...

Also, the screen-size of the android is much bigger than the iPhone. This makes it a lot easier on the eyes to read in comparison to the smaller screen of the iPhone.

Also, the web and data speed of the Androids are much better then iPhones. An article from fox 5 news covers this aspect. They stated:

"The iPhone 4S may have a fancy new dual-antenna system and the ability to reach 14.4 Mbps (theoretically) on AT&T, but it gets blown away by 4G Android phones. For example, the AT&T iPhone 4S delivered speeds as high as 5.3 Mbps but averaged 2.2 Mbps. Both the T-Mobile Galaxy SII (12.6 Mbps) and the Motorola Droid Bionic (11.6 Mbps) are faster."

Apps:
When it comes to games on iPhones, it is highly more successful then androids, however, with social networking, Android wins. This is because androids allow people to have these widgets on the home screens which we can quickly type a status update or a tweet or update a picture without having to sign in again or open up the full application.
Also, we get these widgets for when we want to stream music from music apps like Pandora, Slacker Radio, or Rhapsody. It makes it much easier to access these apps as well so that we can access more than one app at once.
Besides that, the apps on the android market are more of a wide variety and not as redundant as the Apple Market. Also, they aren't as expensive either considering that most apps on the android market are free. Iphone apps can be pretty expensive.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com...

http://www.foxnews.com...
TUF

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for her response. I will be going over voters.

1. I feel I have won this debate because I have succesfully refuted all of my opponents arguments.

2. My opponent has dropped my entire case, and only brings it up in the last round, which I argue is unfair.

3. I have succesfully refuted each one of my opponents arguments, all of which she does not respond to.

4. I have proved that the iphone is far superior to the android. Given my opponent has no rebuttals, please extend my arguments both on my case, and her case. Thank you for taking the time to read this debate!
kaylastep

Pro

Thank you to my opponent who pointed out that I haven't refuted on the major points of his argument but rather stated my own claims.

Now in this round, I will simply refute his statements.

REBUTTALS

Android technology is far more advanced then iPhone technology. The only reason that it seems like it's better is because most people already know how to operate the phones because they have other apple products or iPods. By already having prior knowledge of apple products, people don't have to "learn" how to use their phone as much. In an article by Jesse Bauer, she interviews, the other co-founder of Apple besides Steve Job, Steve Wozniak, who further discusses my claim. He states:

"The people I recommend the iPhone 4S for are the ones who are already in the Mac world, because it's so compatible, and people who are just scared of computers altogether and don't want to use them. The iPhone is the least frightening thing. For that kind of person who is scared of complexity, well, here's a phone that is simple to use and does what you need it to do."

http://technorati.com...

Music:

"The Iphone also possesses a faster processer, so that all actions done on the phone are immedient, and speedy."

The iPhone's speed is not necessarily faster. Though the packaging says that it is, in real life only a few devices are actually that fast. Most iPhones have much slower internet speed then androids especially with pages that contain much more content then others.

http://www.appleinsider.com...

"The Iphone works as both an Ipod and a phone. It's the best in it's technology. While androids have the capability of carryig music, they do not present the massive library and music storage capabilities that the Iphone possesses."

Also Android offers a number of free apps even though the music player is better on the Iphone as my opponent points out. This is not offered in the Apple market because they want to promote buying their music from iTunes instead. Therefore, the player of iPhones may be better but regarding music apps, Androids are much better because they allow you to download free music, make ringtones out of those songs, and share them via email, text, facebook, etc. Also, though it may seem to have more storage, androids can hold as much storage as an iPhone because we can interchange SD cards. Actually, a larger chip then the normal 16GB iPhone can be placed into the Android if the owner chooses to buy it. Also, having more storage isn't always necessarily good because the more things on your phone, the slower your device gets and the more your battery is drained from listening to all of that music.

http://www.zeropaid.com...

Features:

"This was originally not introduced to the Android, and the android only developed this within the last couple of years."

VOIP is a great texting source just as my opponent points out. However, the new way of texting that most Android lovers enjoy is Swype. Through Swype, the process of texting itself is made shorter. Instead of typing out each word, you can slide your finger around the keyboard to make a text message.

" Essentially, you ‘swype' the word instead of typing it out one letter at a time. You place your finger on the first letter of the word, and without lifting it from the screen, you swype your finger around the screen travelling to each subsequent letter in the word. When you finish that word, just lift your finger and begin the next. Swype knows to auto-punctuate as well as add spaces between each word upon your finger-lift between words."

Apps:

"A lot of people (like myself) find that after switching from an Iphone to an android, that a lot of their favorite apps aren't carried by the android. This can be dismaying, as having a plethora of applications is a great attribute that most people look forward to when buying an Iphone."

It basically breaks down to that there are various pluses and minuses to having an Iphone or an Android. Here's a breakdown from fox news and from the infoworld on how the Android is better:

Social Networking- Android wins
App Pages- Android wins
Ease of Updates- Android wins
Web Access for Apps- Android wins
Refunds for Apps- Android wins
App Prices- Android wins

http://www.foxnews.com...

http://www.infoworld.com...

Also, if you watch this video, we can see visually why apps are better on the android vs. the Iphone.

"When it comes down to 'who is the leader in entertainment, the Iphone definitely takes the cake."

It would seem that based on the high sales of the iPhone that it has much better technology then the Android. However, they both have their good and bad qualities about them. It all depends on what the owner of the phone prefers to have. I vote for Android because you get more for your money through apps, greater speed and proven to have better video quality, features, etc. Iphone is only better regarding pictures and that's not even staying the same because Android is constantly improving their phones and software.
TUF

Con

====REBUTTALS====

"Android technology is far more advanced then iPhone technology. The only reason that it seems like it's better is because most people already know how to operate the phones because they have other apple products or iPods. By already having prior knowledge of apple products, people don't have to "learn" how to use their phone as much"

I don't see why this would prove to be too much of a problem at all. The Iphone is not more popular because of compaitability. In fact there are a lot of similarities in the operating mechnanisms between an Iphone and an android. To sum up my answer to this, if someone can operate an Iphone, they should be able to operate an android. In fact even your source qoute from steve jobs, just says that Iphone are easy to operate.

"The iPhone's speed is not necessarily faster. Though the packaging says that it is, in real life only a few devices are actually that fast. Most iPhones have much slower internet speed then androids especially with pages that contain much more content then others."

The Iphone 4s has the fastest processer out of any smartphone established by any company.

"Arnold Kim of MacRumors notes it has the same Apple A5 processor and 512 MB of RAM as an iPad 2, but "is likely underclocked" to 800 MHz compared to the iPad's 1 GHz speed. The underclocking may be necessary in order to fit such a powerful processor into a smartphone chassis (and have reasonable battery life).

So how does an iPad in an iPhone's body stack up to the current crop of Android smartphones and"superphones?" As it turns out, unbelievably well. According to benchmarks compiled by Anand Lal Shimpi and Brian Klug of Anandtech, a stock iPhone 4S outperforms pretty much every phone on the market out of the box."

http://news.yahoo.com...

This is because the New Iphone's dual core processer. The Iphone reportably performs better now in the following areas; Graphics, videos, browser performance, and overall speed.

So your claim that the Iphone does not perform faster, at this point in time is false.

"Also Android offers a number of free apps even though the music player is better on the Iphone as my opponent points out. This is not offered in the Apple market because they want to promote buying their music from iTunes instead. Therefore, the player of iPhones may be better but regarding music apps, Androids are much better because they allow you to download free music, make ringtones out of those songs, and share them via email, text, facebook, etc."

As I have stated in my round 2, these same type of Apps are available on the Iphone market as well. So what this give the users is:
1. Free music
2. A quick way to transfer that music easily onto their desktop, and upload it onto other Ipods.
3. An easier way to share music with their friends, and their Iphones/Ipods, by easily plugging it in to the computer.

"Also, though it may seem to have more storage, androids can hold as much storage as an iPhone because we can interchange SD cards. Actually, a larger chip then the normal 16GB iPhone can be placed into the Android if the owner chooses to buy it."

Why would anyone do this? why not just get the Iphone that the big chip orginally came with? This arguments seems to show that your are grasping at straws. You have basically just proved to me that the Iphone has a superior storage space. What sense would it make for someone to purchase a processor or memory card just to input it into a phone that doesn't have the same capability of carrying out those speeds?

"However, the new way of texting that most Android lovers enjoy is Swype. Through Swype, the process of texting itself is made shorter. Instead of typing out each word, you can slide your finger around the keyboard to make a text message."

Swype can be available on the Iphone as well through the download of free applications.
VOIP is superior to this though, when you are driving, and want to send a text message safely, or when you want to say something long and dont feel like typing it.

Social Networking- Android wins

Hmm.. that's interesting, because according to the video you posted in your last round we see exclusive evidence that social networking functions the exact same way with both platforms.

App Pages- Android wins

I fail to understand how the android wins here. Both app pages function similiarly.

Ease of Updates- Android wins

The Iphone updates esaily as well.

Web Access for Apps- Android wins

Really? My source above contradicts this claim, as it proves that the Iphone 4s has the fastest web browsing proccesing system.

Refunds for Apps- Android wins

I've argued this already, which was un-refuted. Refunds are un-neccesary because "lite versions" are available. Why would someone need a refund when they can try it for free to make sure they like it before they buy it anyway?

App Prices- Android wins

Proof?

"Also, if you watch this video, we can see visually why apps are better on the android vs. the Iphone."

Except your video really doesn't prove this at all. The guy in your video specifically points out that both the android and the Iphone are the exact same in multiple areas, and even says that both have horrible ways of detecting great apps. He never compares on over the other.

"It would seem that based on the high sales of the iPhone that it has much better technology then the Android. However, they both have their good and bad qualities about them. It all depends on what the owner of the phone prefers to have. I vote for Android because you get more for your money through apps, greater speed and proven to have better video quality, features, etc. Iphone is only better regarding pictures and that's not even staying the same because Android is constantly improving their phones and software."

The high sales of the Iphone are a direct influence of the great quality of the product. This alone proves that the Iphone is more popular among people, not only for it's name, but the great technology that it beholds. While the android is a great product as well, it simply does not compare to the great technology that the Iphone possesses.

=====CONCLUSION=====

I feel I have won this debate for the following reasons.

1. While my opponent finally decided to touch down on my arguments, there are still many arguments that I have made against her case that have been left un refuted.

2. I have succesfully argued every single point my opponent has brought up.

3. My sources are more efficient and un biased, while a lot of my opponents sources are news articles, and opinions of other people; Comparing these to statistics.

Thankyou to my opponent again for this debate, and to the audience for reading it over. Good luck in your next round!
kaylastep

Pro

kaylastep forfeited this round.
TUF

Con

====VOTERS====

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited this debate... Please extend all of the arguments above, and look to those in the conclusion of this debate.

I feel you should vote for me for the following reasons:

1. I have proven that the Iphone is technologically more advanced the the Android.

2. I have proven that the Iphone has better features, music, and apps than the Android.

3. My opponent has dropped arguments several times in all of her speechs. She hasn't defended the arguments made on her case, so we must assume she agrees that the Iphone is better than the android.

I thank my opponent for the time and effort put forth into this debate, and wish her good luck in the voting period.

Thankyou.
Posted by kaylastep 4 years ago
kaylastep
stalker!
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
no
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
kaylastepTUFTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter
Vote Placed by mee2kool4u369 4 years ago
mee2kool4u369
kaylastepTUFTied
Reasons for voting decision: this is the truth
Vote Placed by SuburbiaSurvivor 4 years ago
SuburbiaSurvivor
kaylastepTUFTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit and arguments since Pro dropped a lot of arguments.