Androids are better than ios (iPhones)

Started: 6/1/2014 Category: Technology

Welcome and I hope we have a great debate!

First round: Just say accept (yeah that's it)
Second round: Android sales are higher than iOS and the only reason it's the other way around in the U.S.A. is because people are closed minded towards android
Third round: Android is more open to customization
Fourth round: Apple over prices their iPhone, where as an android phone with the same specs are much cheaper

Before we get started I would like to say thank you for accepting this debate and I hope that it's a good one

Apple introduced the touch screen phone and stormed the market. People loved how Apple created a device with only four buttons on it (2 Volume, 1 Power, and Home). However times have changed and other phone manufacturers are creating phones that are touch running Android (windows doesn't count in this debate).

So far android leads the market by 51.2% world wide and iOS accounts for 43.5% of the worlds market share. (Source: )

On to the second part of my argument that in the U.S people are too closed minded (I'm in Canada if you're wondering) is because the other manufacturers during Apples golden age (2007 - 2009 a bit into 2010) were creating phones that were still using slide and had very little touch screen capability. Then Google started to really increase androids capabilities by around 2010. Since then the 'other manufacturers' still have a reputation for being slow and behind in tech when in fact it is the opposite; android phones can do everything an iPhone can and more.

Also, N. Americans (I'm including Canada here) still think of other manufacturers as that Asian phone maker who makes Asian products for Asians.

(Source for the last to paragraphs )

Thank you, and please vote pro

Thank you for the debate.

Please note that Pro has to BOP to prove that Andorid sales overall is greater than iOS sales. I just have to negate his arguments to win this debate.

To start off, Pro stated that Android leads in shares by a staggering ~7 percent. This is true. However, his fault lies in the fact that he is cherry picking information from the article. If one reads that article, it states that sales were ~7% higher during the months of mid-november to mid feburary of 2013. If one continues to read the article, one would find that sales fluctuate between iOS and android during different times of the year. To quote:

"In research conducted from mid-November through mid-February, Kantar Worldpanel Comtech showed sales of all Android phones outpacing the iPhone by a hefty margin: 52.1 percent to 43.5 percent. However, judging from past Kantar studies, these figures may be more of a freeze-frame of the competition at one particular point in time than a permanent reality: last year, Kantar had Android in the lead for a spell, and then it said that iOS had bounced back into first place."

Furthermore, if one goes on with the article, it even states that different systems have different sales. For tablets, iOS dominated Android by 53.8% to 42.7%

Anyways even if we assumed that all these sales are wrong, I still can make the argument that Android phones are more ubiquitous with their use. Most companies that are not Apple uses Androids for their cellphones. When we take into consideration of the companies such as Samsung, Motorola, Nexus, etc. vs. Apple. That 7% isnt that staggering. You have a significantly more companies both in the U.S. and worldwide using Andorid OS. The way I see this arugment is the world vs. apple. Apple is losing by 7% only in the areas of cellphones while it dominates all other systems (same source as Pro). Again, that ~7% is trivial compared to the uses of both OS.

Pro started off with a weak argument that was easily refuted. For Pro, he needs to make a more convicing argument that states that overall Android sales are ALWAYS higher than OS. Until he finds concrete evidence, he has not resolved his argument and thus loses by his inability to prove his BOP.

HIs last two arguments are irrelevelant because of the fact that it is based on social theory and economics. Apple took advantage of the era and it's current trends while other companies failed to do so. The crux of the issues lies in the fact that Apple was coming out with innovations that society was ready for. I am positive about this statement because Bill Gates in 1990 actually proposed the first touch screen tablet, yet it failed because society wasnt ready for it.;

Years later, Apple noticed the trend and decided to take advantage of the situation and profited from it. Their "new" innovations is what makes people, not Americans only, so close-minded about their products. Apple told what the people wanted instead of the otherway around where companies made things based on trends. This led to their success and their reliablity. Through social influence, people started to think that Apple products were reliable compared to the other products. When you create a "herd mentality" it takes a lot of social influence to tell people to do things against the herd mentality. This also explains why Canada, or Pro, holds the opinion that Americans are close minded. While it is understandble how he (or she) got this idea, the actual reason is due to that Apple originated in the U.S. not in Canada. We were the first to experience the revolution so we were more influenced by it.

Back to Pro.

Eca forfeited this round.

Eca forfeited this round.

Posted by Eca 2 years ago
I would like to apologize as my computer was broken and I recently got it back. I would like to re-challenge my oponint to this debate
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited R3 & 4, this is rarely acceptable behavior in any debate setting. S&G - Tie. Neither made any major grammatical and/or spelling errors. Arguments - Con. Pro failed to uphold the BOP. Con effectively rebutted all points raised by Pro as well as presenting points that remain unchallenged by Pro. For this, Con is awarded Arg. points. Sources - Tie. Both utilized sources in this debate.