Pirate
Erick

Animal Liberation is more important than the Bible.

Erick

Pirate

Pro

Thesis: The book Animal Liberation by Peter Singer is more important in modern times than the Holy Bible.

Definition: Since there is no word English to express the notion of "Any animal that is not human", "animal" does not mean that and it's a fallacy, defining a word by itself ("Animal: any animal that is not human"), I invented a word: Outcast, Outcasts in plural. It will always have a capital letter. I ask my opponent to use the same terminology.

Before anything, it is important to explain Peter Singer's thesis to my opponent and to the readers.

"There is no logically compelling reason for assuming that a factual difference in ability between two people justifies any difference in the amount of consideration we give to their needs and interests. The principle of the equality of human beings is not a description of an alleged actual equality among humans: it is a prescription of how we should tat human beings. (...) "Each to count for one and none for more than one." In other words, the interests of every being affected by an action are to be taken into account and given the same weight as the like interests of any other being.
It is an implication of this principle of equality that our concern for others and our readiness to consider their interests ought not to depend on what they are like or on what abilities they may possess. Precisely what our concern or consideration requires us to do may vary according to the characteristics f those affected by what we do: concern for the well-being of children growing up in America could require that we teach them to read; concern for the well-being of pigs may require no more than that we leave em with other pigs in a place where there is adequate food and room to run freely. But the basic element--the taking into account the interests of the being, whatever those interests may be--must, according to the principle of equality, be extended to all beings, black or white, masculine or feminine, human or nonhuman." Animal Liberation, chapter 1- ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

The book also mentions the different ways in which Outcasts are treated to be made into corpses for the market, how Outcast experimentation destroys sentient animals for things as futile as cosmetics. It is also important that this be quickly described here.

Part 1 - Outcast experimentation.
"The report tells us that 1,416,643 animals were experimented on in fiscal year 2000. This number is broken down by species: 69,516 dogs, 25,560 cats, 57,518 primates, 505,009 guinea pigs, 258,754 rabbits, 23,934 sheep, 66,651 pigs, 69126 "other" farm animals, and 166,429 "other" animals. According to the report 104,202 (7.4%) of these animals were used in painful or stressful experimentation without benefit of anesthesia. (The report is Internet accessible at http://www.aphis.usda.gov... in the annual reports section.)"
That is only for the USA. Source:http://www.all-creatures.org...

Draize test: test used in determining how irritant a product is into eyes. Every time you see a warning on a bleach bottle saying it's irritant, you can be sure it was poured on a rabbit's eyes before hitting the shelves. This test consists in placing a potencially irritant product in an Outcast's eyes. Rabbits are commonly used as they do not have tears to can their eyes. Some images with the censor ON. Turn it off and you won't need to watch Saw 7.
http://www.google.pt...

LD50 test: This test aims to find the concentration of a toxic product required to kill 50% of test Outcasts. Needless to say, those that survive are extremely sick and not always put out of their misery.

These are the "standard procedures". Many other imaginative tests were made, including turning female monkeys into psychopaths, using a "rape rack" to get them pregnant, and observing how they treat their children ("One of their favourite trick was to crush the infant's skull with their teeth. But the really sickening behaviour pattern was that of smashing the infant's face to the floor, and then rubbing it back and forth.", Engineering and Science 33:8 (1970) (source from PS's (Peter Singer) book).

Part 2 - Turning living animal into "meat".
Meat is a depreciative term, and for this reason I will prefer the term "corpse" or "flesh" to it.

1- Chickens
These are used for flesh and eggs. The USA alone killed 18Billion chickens in 2008.
http://www.all-creatures.org...
The most important is that chickens live in what we commonly call "inhumane" conditions. They live in their own faeces, get intoxicated from it's ammonia and live in extremely small spaces. This is for the sake of profit. For green paper, in sum.

2- Veal
This is possibly the most cruel form of Outcast exploitation. Calves are taken from their mothers when they are infants, fed on artificial milk and kept in boxes small enough for them to be unable to move or even turn around. They are also kept in a constant iron deficit to keep their flesh white. For this reason their cages are made out of wood, with no iron screws or other components. Calves would otherwise lick those.

Other forms of flesh production are similar, simply imagine how you would make your exploitation of slave Outcasts the most productive, that's how the factories are, neglecting all the needs from Animal beings.

It is now time to compare this book to the Bible. Presenting the Bible will be my opponent's burden, and so will explaining the importance of the book to today's society. Please do not use religious reasons for this, such as "It's the word of god.", it's a book with the same status as any fiction book.

The importance of Animal Liberation should be quite clear by now: people ought to know that what they are eating is not meat, it's a corpse, a sentient animal that was made a slave and suffered.

The point of this debate is not to debate over whether or not PS's thesis is correct, although it has been proved that Outcasts are able of the same emotions as humans, keep in mind that evolution didn't "go towards humans", and that every other species humans evolved from is not inferior in ability to us, in fact, we have common ancestors we animals capable of killing any human without needing a tool. The only thing that makes us different in brain capability is our cortex, IT DOES NOT MAKE OUR EMOTIONS MORE STRONG. That's the limbic system that many Outcasts have more developed, or at least just as developed as humans.

And as a final note, I am not English, and the best I get from English culture is the internet.
Erick

Con

I gladly accept the debate.
Now, I want to make sure that everyone knows that the resolution is "Animal Liberation is more important than the Bible". My opponent has made sure that the reader knows that he is talking about the book "Animal Liberation", not the act itself. I would also like to clarify that my opponent cannot restrain me on what I want to base my contentions or sayings on, thus what he mentioned saying I cannot say this or say that means nothing to me. Finally, he did in fact name a plentiful amount of quotes and information from the book but, did he really show how the book in itself is "more important" than the Bible? Not the facts in the book, but the book in itself. Because after all he did say so himself "The point of this debate is not to debate over whether or not PS's thesis is correct" So by naming all of those let's call them "issues", he did no development on his case and how the book in itself is more important than the Bible.
Moving on to my case.

1- The Bible has been around for WAY longer than "Animal Liberation".

Animal Liberation was published in 1975 [1], if you do some math, that means it has been around for about 35 years. The Bible on the other hand has been around since 1500 B.C.! [2] You cannot merely compare a book that has been on earth for 35 years to one that has been on earth for around 3510 years! The Bible has grown through all of these years with people saying it is the word of "God" and Animal Liberation is a book old as an average father of a family. The fact that people have preserved it through all of these centuries shows how important and the impact on society that it has. Animal Liberation has had some importance but because of the enormous time range between it and The Bible, it shows one of the reasons The Bible is more important.

2- The Bible has sold many more copies than Animal Liberation has.

To this day, The Bible is the largest seller of ALL books published. [2] That has to show how important it is compared to a 35- year old book; without many copies sold as The Bible has.

3- The Bible is a worldwide masterpiece.
The Bible has been translated, in whole or in part, into more than 1,100 languages and dialects. [3] I challenge my opponent to show me how many languages is Animal Liberation in and compare that to The Bible.

4- The Bible plays a major role in religion.
The Bible is the main structure of guidance and faith in many religions. There is 2 billion Christians and 14 million Jews [4] which makes about 2.5 billion people being these religions, counting other religions that also follow The Bible. It is a known fact that these religions read The Bible, this means that about 2.5 billion people know about The Bible, if not read it already. Many people who aren't these religions still read The Bible because of it's importance in literature and other areas. According to the International Data Base, there is 6,882,599,686 in the world; making the people that know or have read The Bible about one third of the entire WORLD! I again challenge my opponent to show how Animal Liberation is more important than The Bible in this area as well.

As I have proved with my four contentions, The Bible is a fundemantel book to society because of its religious ideas and encouraging text that helps many religious people every single day; Animal Liberation in no shape, way or form compares to the magnitude of importance that The Bible has. Without it, imagine how would all of those religions base their guidance on? After all as they say, it is the word of "God" and without it they would most likely be lost. This is why I urge you to vote CON, Thank You.

1- http://en.wikipedia.org...(book)
2- http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com...
3- http://www.bibletopics.com...
4- http://www.spaceandmotion.com...
Pirate

Pro

Pirate forfeited this round.
Erick

Con

Please extend my arguments, Thank you.
Pirate

Pro

Pirate forfeited this round.
Erick

Con

Extend my arguments even more, pleeeeeeeasse.
Pirate

Pro

Pirate forfeited this round.
Erick

Con

My opponent has failed at replying back to any of the 3 rounds that were left.
Resolution denied.
Vote Con, please.
Posted by Pirate 6 years ago
Pirate
Then I will take Animal Liberation and declare it to be the base of my religion. And then nobody will argue with me when I say "No, you cannot understand this Holy Book, for you have not been chosen". Sounds like fun. If you want to accept this debate then accept it has to be made from a nonreligious point of view, and that the Bible is a book like any other.
Posted by governments_kill 6 years ago
governments_kill
""It is now time to compare this book to the Bible. Presenting the Bible will be my opponent's burden, and so will explaining the importance of the book to today's society. Please do not use religious reasons for this, such as "It's the word of god.", it's a book with the same status as any fiction book."

This is entirely idiotic. If you frame the debate this way, Con has absolutely NO room to argue, since your parameters basically give the Bible the same significance as Curious George."

That's not totally fair. The framework still allows for the explanation of the significance of the Bible, for example one could still argue that the Bible was a motivating force behind the Civil Rights movement. That wouldn't be resorting to religious arguments to establish its significance, yet it would still establish that it has far more importance than Curious George. Fiction can definitely impact society.

But you're definitely right about Singer's ultimate conclusion.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 6 years ago
Cody_Franklin
"It is now time to compare this book to the Bible. Presenting the Bible will be my opponent's burden, and so will explaining the importance of the book to today's society. Please do not use religious reasons for this, such as "It's the word of god.", it's a book with the same status as any fiction book."

This is entirely idiotic. If you frame the debate this way, Con has absolutely NO room to argue, since your parameters basically give the Bible the same significance as Curious George.

"The importance of Animal Liberation should be quite clear by now: people ought to know that what they are eating is not meat, it's a corpse, a sentient animal that was made a slave and suffered."

You do realize that Singer claims that animals can be used as a resource so long as we minimize the suffering pursuant to those results, right? Plus, it's not categorically true that all animals we consume are enslaved and tortured. :P
Posted by Cody_Franklin 6 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Instead of "Outcast", you could just use the acronym NHA--Non-Human Animal.
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
I'm busy with school...Sorry
Posted by 1stLordofTheVenerability 6 years ago
1stLordofTheVenerability
I'd take this, but I'm unavailable throughout the weekend. hrrr
Posted by Pirate 6 years ago
Pirate
It's fine, hope you get better.
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
Not gonna lie... my joints hurt, my head kills, I've got pains in my stomach, it feels as if a metal rake is being scraped down the back of my throat aaand I have a 104 fever. I will do my best to post a round before the due date tomorrow if I feel better; if not, I won't accept this challenge again. I do apologize, but I'm just sick as a dog. Hopefully I'll wake up feeling better and can do it tomorrow morning!
Posted by Pirate 6 years ago
Pirate
No problem.
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
I will :) Sorry I was busy these past few days.
Vote Placed by Erick 6 years ago
Erick
PirateErickTied
Vote Placed by hippobob 6 years ago
hippobob
PirateErickTied