lunatic987
pipster229

Animal Rights

pipster229

lunatic987

Pro

For your information we are also considered animals, yet WE have rights. Humans are defined as "mammals" which is a type of animal.
pipster229

Con

I don't think animals should have rights because they are just animals. God gave us dominion over animals so we can do whatever we want to with them. I am a hunter and I like the taste of meat so I hunt. Animals will always survive and there are so many different kinds in the world so if one species dies out it doesn't really matter. Animals don't deserve rights because they are just stupid animals that cant do anything.
lunatic987

Pro

There is a limit to the amount of animals on this Earth. Since you are deciding to refer to "God" oofr the bible, he actually took time to name/create all of the living animals, on the 6th day of the creation of Earth. I am not going to rely only on the bible. Animals are not stupid, many animals are as intelligent as us. Animals such as dolphins, whales, and apes have minds that are just as brilliant as ours. And many animals display characteristics of human knowledge, few above the rest.
pipster229

Con

If animals were as smart as us they would be supreme. They would be driving cars, building cities, talking on cell phones, and debating about whether they should have rights, but their not because they are NOT EVEN CLOSE TO US IN BRAIN POWER. God did not name the animals Adam did, a HUMAN. Animals cant have rights because they don't need them. What would they do with them. Nothing because they are just animals. Humans are supreme and always will be supreme. If Humans are just animals then would you rather me eat a cow or a human.
lunatic987

Pro

lunatic987 forfeited this round.
pipster229

Con

Why would we give animals rights anyway. what would they do with them. We are the only ones that deserve rights.
Posted by pressplay010 1 year ago
pressplay010
pipster229 this is in the Science, category any argument based on "God gave us dominion over...." is a waste of time. Try and give either a logical argument as to why animals shouldn't have rights, i.e. its doubtful that animals are as self aware as humans.

To counter this lunatic 987 could argue the Moral case that since we are self-aware and able to control our actions we have a moral obligation to cause as little harm as possible to other living things.. etc. etc.

It doesn't take long to think up a logical argument, the knee jerk reaction of reaching for your bible every time you are asked something challenging gives the impression you are an intellectual cripple using the bible as a crutch to stand up.
Vote Placed by kbub 1 year ago
kbub
lunatic987pipster229Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit, unfortunately. The last points were not responded to. I speculate that Pro might have pointed out that there are many, many humans who do not build roads or cars or pay taxes, but that doesn't make them less valuable. I'd have pointed out that that was an old racist argument used to degrade African and American tribes/nations. I'd also point out that humans have done very little to "deserve" rights. Anyway, look forward to future debates.