beachgirl67
sp03

Animal Testing should be banned

beachgirl67

Pro

This includes testing in the medical field, cosmetics, toxicology testing, and psychological research involving animals.
sp03

Con

Testing animals shouldn't be banned. Testing animals helps identify things that are either harmful for humans or helpful for science. Animal testing helps us identify diseases and how animals act. Animals aren't usually killed or tortured during animal testing. It doesn't hurt animals, and it helps humans.
beachgirl67

Pro

Actually, at the end of the testing session, the animals are almost always killed. The total scale of the animals used is hard to measure, but it is estimated about 115,000,000 animals are tested each year in the US. The vast majority of this is euthanized after the experiment is over. And contrary to what you say, many are tortured. Figures gathered in 2010 showed that in the US alone, 97,123 animals were used in experiments likely to involve both pain and suffering, and sedatives/pain killers would not be given to them. I don't see how this is fair at all.

Source- Animal Research Database
sp03

Con

I don't mean to say anything bad, but humans are more important than animals. And if killing a few animals will help the human civilization, it is probably worth it. By the way, you never mentioned what type of animal testing you are talking about. There is a wide range of tests, and you did not clarify that.

I love animals, but I can't think of any reason why banning animal testing would help our world. Animal testing helps us find out things that we never knew such as how animals act, and animal testing could help animals in the future. We could learn things during testing that will let us know if animals need to be treated in different ways, or if we need to help animals by doing something that we aren't.
beachgirl67

Pro

I agree humans are more important than animals, but we are not sacrificing just "a few" lives here. 115,000,000 is not a few. I didn't mention what type of testing because these statistics are from every types of animal testing, such as in the medical field or toxicology testing.

First off, we don't test animals to help them. We test animals to help us. Animals testing isn't done to discover how animals act and how to help them in the future, it is so we as humans don't have to do it. We are forcing dangerous chemicals onto animals that could definitely kill them and/or make them suffer. We need animal testing to an extent, but there has to be more regulations and give the animals suffering pain killers at least. We need to lower the amount of animals dying and suffering in these tests.

I did not specify the animal since the statistics were based on all tests, though usually the animals are easy to obtain ( So nothing exotic) but it really depends on the study.
sp03

Con

I agree with you about giving animals painkillers, or making stricter regulations. I think that's a great idea. But that's not you're topic. You said ban animal testing. What you proposed is not banning it. Completely banning the tests would be ridiculous, and dangerous for humans. We should give animals painkillers, and create stricter regulations, but we shouldn't ban it.

By the way, I think this was a great debate, good topic.
Posted by DealySon 2 days ago
DealySon
Awesome debate you too. I loved it.
Posted by DealySon 2 days ago
DealySon
I go 4 pro